Evelyn since CJ went down

was at the game tonight, Evelyn is actually one of the best ball handlers and defenders i have seen at Iowa in a long time. In person you can see all of his passes are crisp and hit people in a perfect place to shoot. he also looks very confident and is a team player!

Evelyn having a good year is just as important to Touissant as well. The better Evelyn can play the more pressure it takes off JT in my opinion. I like his future but I do not see him as super consistent right now which is to be expected and for him to come in and get productive minutes and not have to be the only guy is good.

Remember when Fran couldn't recruit guards and now he basically has 4 in the starting lineup? I remember it like it was just this off season.

I'm interested to hear how CJ feels today. If he's pain free today, that's a really good sign.
I didn’t get a chance to watch last night but is it a little perplexing that CJ played 31 minutes? Seemed like Iowa had a stranglehold on that game in the 2H when I would check the score so when I saw he played 31 minutes I was kind of shocked.

I don't have a problem with it. Either he's cleared or he's not. He didn't seem fatigued, he was playing well, he wasn't favoring his foot. If your cleared to play, your cleared to play or is that not the right line of thinking?

I didn’t get a chance to watch last night but is it a little perplexing that CJ played 31 minutes? Seemed like Iowa had a stranglehold on that game in the 2H when I would check the score so when I saw he played 31 minutes I was kind of shocked.

Garza foul trouble - he only played 24 minutes. Joe T only played 16. As mentioned above, CJ was cleared and was moving fine. Let's see what happens in the next couple of days and how he plays this Friday. Cautiously optimistic at this point.

I don't have a problem with it. Either he's cleared or he's not. He didn't seem fatigued, he was playing well, he wasn't favoring his foot. If your cleared to play, your cleared to play or is that not the right line of thinking?
I’m by no means a medical expert. I don’t know how this injury works. Is it a cumulative effect of stress put on the foot or is it just random where one false step could re-injure it? In either of those two above I would think limiting minutes might be ideal in a game Iowa seemed to have control of. Again I’m not a medical expert and again I’m merely speculating. I didn’t get to watch live.

The other counter argument to my question could of course be getting CJ back into a rhythm after missing a few games. Let him get comfortable out there again with more minutes.

I’m just merely posing the question.

I’m by no means a medical expert. I don’t know how this injury works. Is it a cumulative effect of stress put on the foot or is it just random where one false step could re-injure it? In either of those two above I would think limiting minutes might be ideal in a game Iowa seemed to have control of. Again I’m not a medical expert and again I’m merely speculating. I didn’t get to watch live.

The other counter argument to my question could of course be getting CJ back into a rhythm after missing a few games. Let him get comfortable out there again with more minutes.

I’m just merely posing the question.

No, it was a good question. I just think, well, ya can't really play scared of injury. If he had medical clearance that means he's better. It didn't sound like he was told that he was going to restricted or that he needed to "take it easy" and then see. He was cleared. He could have re-injured himself in the first 5 minutes. He could have blown out his ACL, should Fran have rested him more? Injuries are unpredictable and they are accidents. They happen, there's not a lot of control you have over them. If he was cleared to play and was showing no signs of issue, play him. It was a 10 point game until about 7 minutes left and Iowa finally pulled away, up until that point it was more like a 6 to 8 point lead most of the game. Fran has seen too many big leads evaporate on the road over the years in games he thought he had locked up. He wanted them to finish and they did. I didn't have any issues with it personally and to be honest, I wouldn't have had CJ re-injured himself... he was cleared, he wanted to play, he could play so he did.

Each game, Evelyn seems to need to hit a bucket or two to get his confidence going and then he's good t go. He could have a real positive impact the rest of the year.

He's so quick. I saw the Nebraska game in person and was like... ehhh Bakari....boy, I don't know what he adds, this team is a mess. He didn't look quick at all. When he game into the game last night, even tho Joe is quick, he seemed to really change the pace up of the offense and was a huge spark.

CJ probably could have come up with 3 minutes left or so. Other than that, the game was in doubt and he was playing well.

I do recall something along those lines. I’m also pretty sure Connor is only on the team because his dad is the coach and he should just focus on baseball.

Connor has been a revelation guarding opposing SFs and PFs this season. Also, he really seems to stress the defense when we're playing those 4 guard lineups. Having him as an extra PG that's playing in the paint makes it easy to load up a shooter or getting an assist to Garza as he already knows where he's going with the ball before he gets it.

This thread seems the appropriate place to give some love to BK, especially since the title is once again relevant. While he has his shortcomings, he's been an integral part of the team. When JT ain't got it he more often than not fills the void sufficiently.

Odds are without him we have 2 less good Ws. Glad he is a Hawk!

Iowa needs Evelyn to make shots. It is obvious that it is a confidence issue. Those 5-8 open looks he will likely get per game from here on out, he will need to make some of those.
His shot looks like someone taught it to him late in BB career. It has very little room for error, flat angle, but repeatable when he follows through on it. I think he had to fight hard to correct his natural shot. When he has time he can make it. He just needs to relax and go with muscle memory. He and Conner pass up way to many open shots when the Bigs kick it out to them. Evelyn especially wants to do to much and lets the D recover. I'm sure the coaches are trying to get him to just catch and shoot.

Latest posts