ESPN on why Iowa keeps failing in NCAAs

Just weren't as prepared or as well coached. Fran needs a real system. Not play defense or not. Not lets try some press this year. Figure out your thing and go with it. Drill and coach your players up better. Enough with the dribbling too much and just trying to drive instead of more designed plays. Tired of the PMac or JT or whoever trying out the middle and any good teams closes it and they get trapped.

Coach is there to correct you. If you are 3-13 and the threes are not going down due to a ball or the background you don't keep shooting them. Shooting your way out doesn't work if there is a reason for the woes. They are worth more because they are lower percentage shots. Richmond wanted that and you shot 16 more of them. You can't run some plays and work the ball to get higher percentage shots enough to pull it out against a Richmond? If you are gonna let them dictate to you then don't expect a sweet sixteen under Fran.

Too much of this stuff over the years for a team to advance in the NCAA and of course, as we have seen, they do not.

Last edited:
Lol, ok - fair, I just hate that everyone in my office can't help but read all of your takes. They are all Husker fans and it's just making life worse.
If your coworkers like to check out HN, can you pass a little note on to them?

Your school's dumpster fire has finally reached smoldering status. You know, that point where there isn't even "bad" excitement. No flames, no sirens, just a smoldering pile of dirty diapers and coffee grounds in a Runza parking lot whose only effect on the world is a localized smell of a landfill on a humid day.

Iowa is demonstrably and provably better than your school in football, wrestling, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, men's tennis, women's tennis, and track and field. We are better than you at every single one of those sports. Check the standings and results.

Let that sink in for a moment. Shitty little, poor ole Iowa of all schools.

Your football coach has a worse record than Mike Riley which should not be possible according to the laws of physics, and the biggest achievement of his entire nebraska tenure is knocking up the teenage beer cart chick at a golf tournament.

Even your "vaunted" (lol) volleyball team had to play red-headed stepchild to Wisconsin this year.

No bowl game for you. The last time your team played in a bowl game Barack Obama had a year left in his term.

No NCAA tourney for you.

No postseason anything for you.

Showing up for the B1G basketball tournament was just a required formality and I know for a fact that your D of Ops for basketball didn't book hotel rooms past the first night.

You're Rutgers on a bad year and Northwestern on your best year.

So feel free to keep giving R.O. shit about the Hawks, but know this...

The only people you're embarrassing are yourselves. When even my 6 year old niece laughs at your skull and crossbones Blackshirt helmet decals in the back window of your lifted, red V6 Dodge Rams, it's time you should probably stop. Or keep doing it. It gets funnier every year..

Love,

Iowa

Last edited:
They just beat 3 NCAA teams in row last week, the only indictment on Fran is his teams have played poorly in the wrong moment.

This team wasn't short on anything. They played like a top 10 team for over a month and half. They were built for a long run and had good guard and post play. They showed up and sucked - that's it.

Because they lost yesterday opens the door for irrational takes and I get it - I just don't live in that space thankfully.

Your school's dumpster fire has finally reached smoldering status. You know, that point where there isn't even "bad" excitement. No flames, no sirens, just a smoldering pile of dirty diapers and coffee grounds in a Runza parking lot whose only effect on the world is a localized smell of a landfill on a humid day.

Iowa is demonstrably and provably better than your school in football, wrestling, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, men's tennis, women's tennis, and track and field. We are better than you at every single one of those sports. Check the standings and results.

Your football coach has a worse record than Mike Riley which should not be possible according to the laws of physics, and the biggest achievement of his entire nebraska tenure is knocking up the teenage beer cart chick at a golf tournament.

Even your "vaunted" (lol) volleyball team had to play red-headed stepchild to Wisconsin this year.

No bowl game for you. The last time your team played in a bowl game Barack Obama had a year left in his term.

No NCAA tourney for you.

Showing up for the B1G basketball tournament was just a required formality and I know for a fact that your D of Ops for basketball didn't book hotel rooms past the first night.

The only people you're embarrassing are yourselves. When even my 6 year old niece laughs at your skull and crossbones Blackshirt helmet decals in the back window of your lifted, red V6 Dodge Rams, it's time you should probably stop. Or keep doing it. It gets funnier every year..

Love,

Iowa
too small text lol

No NCAA tourney for you.

Love,

Iowa
Nebbie fans might have trouble reading that much text.

I think the Big Ten should explore getting their tourney done sooner.

I kind of like being that last game right before the selection. All eyes are on that game waiting for the selection show. I think that is a main reason they do it. Fighting for one more seed doesn't matter when the team plays like total dog shit in the first game.

To me it's just missed shots... Sure we didn't defend well especially down the stretch but it was a close game and we shot TERRIBLE. It's a make or miss game and for a team that normally shoots significantly better that's all it should have taken for Iowa to survive and advance. Make 3 or 4 more shots that's it....

There's talk about the Wilson ball being used again and to what extent did Iowa practice or not with it leading up to yesterday... I dunno and as a shooter myself back in the day the feel of the ball absolutely is a factor. I played with some I absolutely was better at with than others. The grip and how you release your shots with em is just different with different textured balls. Why the NCAA allows for different balls to be used all over till now is beyond me. Make one be universal.

To me it's just missed shots... Sure we didn't defend well especially down the stretch but it was a close game and we shot TERRIBLE. It's a make or miss game and for a team that normally shoots significantly better that's all it should have taken for Iowa to survive and advance. Make 3 or 4 more shots that's it....

There's talk about the Wilson ball being used again and to what extent did Iowa practice or not with it leading up to yesterday... I dunno and as a shooter myself back in the day the feel of the ball absolutely is a factor. I played with some I absolutely was better at with than others. The grip and how you release your shots with em is just different with different textured balls. Why the NCAA allows for different balls to be used all over till now is beyond me. Make one be universal.
THIS IS A GOOD POINT. I HAD A PIZZA HUT BALL THAT I USED FOR A FEW YEARS. THE HOOP ON MY GARAGE WAS 9'10" BUT THERE WAS A SLIGHT SLOPE TO THE DRIVEWAY SO MY DAD SAID IT WAS FINE. I WAS ABSOLUTELY LETHAL WITH THE PILL. COULD HIT 97 OUT OF 100 FTS, DRAIN THE LONG BALL, YOU NAME IT.

WENT TO TRYOUTS. THEY HAD SOME KIND OF NEWFANGLED LEATHER BALL AND WOULDN'T LET ME USE MY TRUSTY PIZZA HUT BALL. I MISSED EVERY FUCKING SHOT. LIKE LITERALLY EVERY FUCKING SHOT. MY DAD GOT ME THERE LATE AND I COULDN'T WARM UP AND THEN ONCE I MISSED A FEW THE PRESSURE GOT REALLY FUCKING HIGH. I'M PRETTY SURE IT'S MY DAD'S FAULT AND I WOULD JUST NOW BE RETIRING FROM THE NBA IF (A) MY DAD WOULD HAVE SET THE RIM AT THE RIGHT HEIGHT, (B) HE HAD GOTTEN ME TO THE TRYOUTS ON TIME AND (C) I HADN'T STARTED OFF PLAYING WITH THAT DAMNED PIZZA HUT BALL. THE INTERNET LOSERS WHO AREN'T PURE SHOOTERS LIKE ME DON'T UNDERSTAND THE IMPACT OF PRESSURE AND CHANGES TO THE BALL.

Not that it'sa a reason we lost, but this X 1,000. Can you imagine the uproar in other leagues if the game ball varied???

College Football uses the Wilson GST

NFL uses The Duke

MLB uses the Rawlings ROMLB

NCAA baseball uses the FSR1

NBA uses the Wilson official game ball.

Change any of those balls and you dramatically change the game. How basketball gets away with it is beyond me.

THIS IS A GOOD POINT. I HAD A PIZZA HUT BALL THAT I USED FOR A FEW YEARS. THE HOOP ON MY GARAGE WAS 9'10" BUT THERE WAS A SLIGHT SLOPE TO THE DRIVEWAY SO MY DAD SAID IT WAS FINE. I WAS ABSOLUTELY LETHAL WITH THE PILL. COULD HIT 97 OUT OF 100 FTS, DRAIN THE LONG BALL, YOU NAME IT.

WENT TO TRYOUTS. THEY HAD SOME KIND OF NEWFANGLED LEATHER BALL AND WOULDN'T LET ME USE MY TRUSTY PIZZA HUT BALL. I MISSED EVERY FUCKING SHOT. LIKE LITERALLY EVERY FUCKING SHOT. MY DAD GOT ME THERE LATE AND I COULDN'T WARM UP AND THEN ONCE I MISSED A FEW THE PRESSURE GOT REALLY FUCKING HIGH. I'M PRETTY SURE IT'S MY DAD'S FAULT AND I WOULD JUST NOW BE RETIRING FROM THE NBA IF (A) MY DAD WOULD HAVE SET THE RIM AT THE RIGHT HEIGHT, (B) HE HAD GOTTEN ME TO THE TRYOUTS ON TIME AND (C) I HADN'T STARTED OFF PLAYING WITH THAT DAMNED PIZZA HUT BALL. THE INTERNET LOSERS WHO AREN'T PURE SHOOTERS LIKE ME DON'T UNDERSTAND THE IMPACT OF PRESSURE AND CHANGES TO THE BALL.

You guys are in my age bracket and lived in Iowa...

You remember those Hardees Big Ten and Big 8 basketballs they were giving away like candy back in 92/93/94 ish?

EVERY kid in my neighborhood had at least a couple and it wasn't uncommon to find a faded one laying on the ground at the park that some kid left there. To be honest, as many pickup games as got played with those balls, the IAHSAA should've made it the official high school ball.

You remember those Hardees Big Ten and Big 8 basketballs they were giving away like candy back in 92/93/94 ish?

EVERY kid in my neighborhood had at least a couple and it wasn't uncommon to find a faded one laying on the ground at the park that some kid left there. To be honest, as many pickup games as got played with those balls, the IAHSAA should've made it the official high school ball.
I DO NOT REMEMBER THE HARDEE'S BALLS BECAUSE I AM NOT A MILLENNIAL. THE PIZZA HUT BALL WAS THE OFFICIAL BALL OF GENERATION X.

Not that it'sa a reason we lost, but this X 1,000. Can you imagine the uproar in other leagues if the game ball varied???

College Football uses the Wilson GST

NFL uses The Duke

MLB uses the Rawlings ROMLB

NCAA baseball uses the Rawlings FSR1

NBA uses the Wilson official game ball.

Change any of those balls and you dramatically change the game. How basketball gets away with it is beyond me.
Like why even have the topic be a thing? They can avoid it have a universal ball. I'm not sure the why behind why schools can all do their own thing with them but it's to their own detriment to not get on the same page.

If I had 1 of those I probably had closer to 50 of them over my childhood... I got way too good at being able to play with them and it affected my shot with regular mens balls. (yeah I know how that reads)

the ball they were using sucks and is different than what they play with in the big ten i play with those balls occasionally and I don't care for them.

People thinking the defense was the reason we lost need to endure some pain and go back and watch - ya they got us a on a few back door cuts... but overall the defense was plenty good enough.

We had long in the 1st half when Richmond couldn't score.

Richmond shot 42% from the floor and 29% from 3... I bet you we didn't lose a game all year where are opponents had those stats.

People are really looking the wrong way at this one.... It wasn't Frans fault we were clanking all our shots or that the Refs wouldn't call fouls.

We shot 2 free throws the 2nd half.... 2

The game was a perfect storm of bad play and bullshit.

Not the first time the Wilson ball has received criticism. If you google the subject you find comments from NBA players and others about their dislike for it. Fran was asked about it after the game yesterday and said the players did not like it. I remember reacting to one of the first shots Iowa took yesterday. It hit the rim and just took a different looking hard dead bounce. If anyone recorded the game I would be interested in someone else's reaction. I didn't know at the time about the Wilson ball.

Yes, hopefully we were using this ball in practice.

The BIG is going to be exposed. Poor guard play and poor ball handling.

This team was very fun to watch. My guess is both Murrays played more. Watching the Murray passes to each other was terrific (though at times too aggressive).

The M boys on a lesser scale added passing value.

Why Hawks lost? Not because of Keegan the guy had plus 20.

1. JB 33 minutes in a game where he didn't have it nor could keep up. He was at the top of why the back doors.

2. 14 points from JB, JT, TP, and CM

3. Kris M, JT 13 minutes, TP 19 minutes. See #1. I love JB. Too many minutes and Richmond exploited him.

Great season. Yes they lost 1st round. This year has zero to do with the past. It happened. Talk to Caliperi.

Latest posts