ESPN on why Iowa keeps failing in NCAAs

Iowa had good guard play and post play for 2 straight months - they emptied the emotional tank winning the conference tournament 4 days prior and came out flat and got beat. That happens in a one off situation. Richmond had 6 super seniors, this wasn't their first rodeo.
Richmond had the same schedule

Iowa had good guard play and post play for 2 straight months - they emptied the emotional tank winning the conference tournament 4 days prior and came out flat and got beat. That happens in a one off situation. Richmond had 6 super seniors, this wasn't their first rodeo.
I do wonder though, is it possible, because Iowa was shooting the 3 ball so well and getting so much production from Keegan....that it did cover up some of the positional deficiencies.....like dribble drive action and having something else to fall back on when they shots aren't dropping?

The guards could not create their own shots in the Richmond game. Brick city and when they did try to drive they could not finish or were running right into Richmond players for a charge call.

Rebraca they did not have to lean on, but when they needed more of inside game in the Richmond game, he could not deliver. I still don't understand why Fran did not use the Big O or even Mulvey for stretches in the Richmond game? It worked against Purdue. Maybe he thought he did not need to go there in this game.

Unfortunately it was a little to late when Keegan was posting up some shots in the last 2 minutes.

Iowa was a very strong perimeter team this year, but when you take that aspect away on offense, they are pretty pedestrian otherwise other than scoring baskets on transition runouts.

The guards could not create their own shots in the Richmond game. Brick city and when they did try to drive they could not finish or were running right into Richmond players for a charge call.
I thought Ulis would do that the best against Richmond. Whether they would drop was another question. Guess we will never know.

Latest posts