ESPN has already started their campaign

Look at the games I listed...that is the problem with no playoff...no marquee match ups outside of conference.

Clemson over Georgia
LSU over TCU
Mississippi over Texas
Alabama over V-Tech
Michigan over Notre Dame
Notre Dame over MSU
Oklahoma over Notre Dame
Stanford over Notre Dame
Arizona St over Wisconsin
BYU over Texas
Wisconsin over BYU
Rutgers over Arkansas
Missouri over Indiana
Northwestern and OSU over California
Iowa over ISU

Missing some but how does that look for conference strength evaluation

I threw in the independents for arguments sake as they play a lot of the BCS conferences

Clemson over Georgia
LSU over TCU
Mississippi over Texas
Alabama over V-Tech
Michigan over Notre Dame
Notre Dame over MSU
Oklahoma over Notre Dame
Stanford over Notre Dame
Arizona St over Wisconsin
BYU over Texas
Wisconsin over BYU
Rutgers over Arkansas
Missouri over Indiana
Northwestern and OSU over California
Iowa over ISU

Missing some but how does that look for conference strength evaluation

I threw in the independents for arguments sake as they play a lot of the BCS conferences

Few more....
Oklahoma ST over Mississippi ST
South Carolina over North Carolina
South Carolina over UCF
Oregon over Tennessee
Oregon over Virginia
UCLA over Nebraska
Miami over Florida
Florida ST over Florida
Georgia over Georgia Tech

Last edited:
So your theory is they purposefully prop up SEC football because of their future relationship at the expense of a conference they have the current and future TV rights to. Again brilliant.

I like how you come onto this forum guns blazing even when you're woefully wrong. You'll do well here, I predict.

I hope Mizzou wins and OSU loses because the Big Ten sucks and FSU will beat Mizzou easily. That is the only way the SEC gets knocked off.

Imagine this. What if Michigan State beats Ohio State and Missouri beats Auburn but somehow doesn't jump ahead of Alabama in the BCS standings? So you have 12-1 SEC champions in the Sugar Bowl and 11-1 SEC west division runner-up in the NC game. Seems pretty much impossible. Might be what it takes to burn the system to the ground and start over from scratch.

Explain this to me. The SEC is supposed to be so difficult and invincible that a couple of middle of the road Big 12 teams can join the conference and have major success almost immediately.

I find it hard to believe that Missouri is really NC quality material. Can they really beat the best two teams from the PAC, ACC, Big 12 and B1G. I am taking Missouri against Duke and that is about it.

Part of the issue is there are so few marquee match-ups between all of the BCS conferences that how can you really establish strength of schedule? A premise is then made to start the year on which conference is the strongest. The SEC then gets a team in the title game no matter what. Then the real issue is determining who is #2 out the remaining conferences. That has allowed the SEC to thrive as bowl season often provides some surprises on which conferences and teams are legit when the true head-to-head match-ups take place.

I am going to throw up if Missouri makes it into the title game.

I was saying this in another thread. Texas AM is one thing because they have a heisman winner at qb but how in the hell do you explain Missouri doing what they're doing? That should really be raising some questions on how good the SEC is.

I was saying this in another thread. Texas AM is one thing because they have a heisman winner at qb but how in the hell do you explain Missouri doing what they're doing? That should really be raising some questions on how good the SEC is.

It's been said in many threads. If one SEC team loses to another SEC team, the winner climbs in the rankings and the loser doesn't move. If a team from any other conference loses to another team from a non-SEC conference, the loser plummets in the rankings and the winner doesn't move. If Michigan State were to somehow lose to Northwestern last week, both would be unranked in the next poll. If South Carolina were to somehow lose to Arkansas right now, both would be ranked in the next poll. (Obviously an exaggeration, but that is the tendency. The rich get richer in the polls as they are given more benefit of the doubt)

Those that argue against the 8 team playoff, I don't understand your thinking. Unless you just like to argue. Saying someone will ***** about being left out as a #9 is ridiculous. Yes, that will happen, but that is not the same as a 3, 4 or 5 being left out, no way. To settle it on the field, seriously? I would be so stoked to watch a playoff bracket be played out, wow it would be awesome. Without looking at the top 8 this year, I can't name them all....but, it would be awesome to have FSU, OSU, Auburn, Bama, Mizzou (I guess) and others settle it on the field. Freaking awesome, period. No ******** about who's conference is stronger, win or shut up. If you want to say that it's bad for college football because it will take away the arguing and debate....I guess I could see that. But, I'd rather watch the top 8 play it out. Hell, I'd love to see 16. Ain't gonna happen.

So your theory is they purposefully prop up SEC football because of their future relationship at the expense of a conference they have the current and future TV rights to. Again brilliant.

1. It's not a crazy theory
2. ESPN already has a relationship with the SEC
3. I'm not the only person that believes they have a very real interest in propping up the SEC.
Why SEC Isn't As Great In Football As You Think | ThePostGame
"In 2008, ESPN and the SEC signed that a 15-year, $2.25 billion agreement allowing the network to televise the conference's games. In addition, ESPN owns the rights to televise all BCS games, including the national championship game."

Why not do what the other college football divisions do?

D3 - 32 teams make the playoffs.
D2 - 24 teams make the playoffs.
FCS - 24 teams make the playoffs.
NAIA - 16 teams make the playoffs.

Yeah, some argue about who should get in and who shouldn't but the teams play until one remains standing... the national champion.

Those that argue against the 8 team playoff, I don't understand your thinking. Unless you just like to argue. Saying someone will ***** about being left out as a #9 is ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous at all, it will happen. 100% chance it will happen. In the current system, #3 will always whine. If you go to a four-team bracket, #5 will whine. If you go to 8, #9 will cry about being left out. Same deal in basketball. You want to go from 64 to 96 so the teams that whine about being snubbed don't get snubbed? Fine, now #65 is content but #97 starts whining. BCS should never fix anything for that reason because it can't go away.

A four team playoff is too small of a sample size and #5 probably would have a good reason to whine.
An 8-team playoff has a greater "N", thus, the statistical relevance is increased.

The larger the sample size, the more things tend to "categorize out"....the lines between the should's and should not's becomes pretty clear.

Meaning....#5 would have a bigger reason to whine, while #9 won't. SoS will rule the day. End of meddling.

My choice would be for the P12 and B10 to pick up 4 more schools and split off to create their own 30 team conference and run it like 6 5 team NFL divisions. With Division champs and 2 wild cards going to playoffs.

Put in REAL academic standards and make every game a good game against quality competition.

Say the SEC is making a mockery of the term Student Athlete and if college football fans want to watch their semi-pro football, they can go ahead, but we play COLLEGE football.

Fox would pay pay through the nose to get exclusive rights to broadcast those games along FOX, FS1 and FS2 and the BTN and PTN. They could also get out of existing rights agreements based on the argument that they were NCAA contract agreements and now they no longer played NCAA sports.

Think of this, Iowa's schedule:
Wisky (away)
Minny (home)
Nebby (away)
Northwestern (home)
PSU (away)
Maryland (home)
Rutgers (home)
Virginia (away)
tOSU (away)
UW (home)
WSU (away)
Oregon (away)
OSU (home)
Utah (home)

How about this schedule??
Wisky (h)
Minny (a)
Nebby (h)
Northwestern (a)
UM (h)
MSU (a)
Indy (a)
Purdue (h)
Illinois (h)
UCLA (a)
USC (h)
Cal (a)
Stanford (h)
Arizona (a)

Think of this as playoffs?

wildcard 1 Wisky @ MSU
wildcard 2 Stanford @ UW

Divisional games
winner WC 1 vs. tOSU
Iowa vs. UM

winner WC 2 vs. USC
Oregon vs. Texas (yeah, I said it )

Conference Games
tOSU vs. Iowa

USC vs. Texas

Championship

Iowa vs USC

I would also have the next four teams in every conference play in challenge bowl games in AZ, Cali, Texas, and NYC interspersed as warm up games during the playoff season.

Think of this:

Nebby vs. Oklahoma in Dallas
PSU vs. UW in NYC
ASU vs. Maryland in AZ
UCLA vs. Virginia in So Cal.

Tell ESPN, their partner conference and the NCAA, "thanks but no thanks," don't give the rights to your video and watch them become irrelevant in college athletics.

Last edited:
I don't think they're wrong. I'd pick Auburn, Alabama and maybe even Missouri to beat Ohio State. You can argue that Ohio State is more deserving because they haven't lost, but I don't think they're even close to being the second-best team in the country. I wouldn't object to anyone saying they aren't a legit top 5 team.

Latest posts