ESPN has a list out and it's stupid

In the article, the guy writes: It's absurd that people attempt to make the case for anyone else as tight end U. Miami isn't just a clear-cut No. 1. The Hurricanes are tops by a country mile.

A guy on 247 Sports broke down the top 3 tight end schools, Iowa, Notre Dame, and Miami.

Iowa's have better college stats
ND gets more players drafted and more in the first 3 rounds
Their NFL stats are basically equal.

However you look at it, Miami is definitely not TEU and it's not even close. He says that Iowa and ND share it.

In the last 2 years, Iowa's NFL tight ends have totaled 4272 yards on 410 catches.
In the last 20 years, Miami's NFL tight ends have totaled 4372 yards on 394 catches.
And no, that's not a typo, 2 years for Iowa, 20 years for Miami.
Well...not to get too technical here, but Jeremy Shockey and Jimmy Graham alone combined for over 14,600 yards. I guess Shockey's first year was '02 so you can take 800 yds out of the total.

There is no doubt that Iowa is Tight End U at this time. Going back to '98 shouldn't factor in at all.

It's also a scheme issue. Wisconsin has traditionally run a power scheme while we have always ran a zone scheme under Kirk. Coaches have gone back and forth over the years as to which one is more effective, but in a zone scheme you have to recruit and develop athletes that can work effectively in space. What has been somewhat devastating for our line in recent years is the lack of respect for our passing game. That has allowed defenses to simply "crash" the LOS with LBs and safeties with impunity. That will always disrupt a zone scheme. If you can't make that strategy pay via the pass, your offense is simply going nowhere.

Another factor has been recruiting. It's perplexing when you look at our offensive scheme and Kirk's background, but we have struggled to recruit the OL for several years now. We had some gems, Wirfs, Scherff, etc., but we always seem to have at least one weak link. The problem is that you can't hide a weak link in the zone scheme, whereas you can to an extent in a power scheme.
Great and valid points. But, you can have a power run game with zone blocking. Zone blocking is all about working in unison instead of power head on head downhill blocking. Zone blocking is really neat to watch when run correctly. It is a thing of beauty and many NFL teams still do it. I don't have a problem with that so much, but, as you point out and is valid, you have to have players that can get out and zone block. I think that is what you are implying.

I haven't read the article, but I guess it boils down to definition of the term. If end results define TEU, then Iowa is the clear winner over the past 10 years or so. If it is college production, then I'm not sure.

At one point, around 10 years ago, Iowa had 7 TEs on active rosters in the NFL. I doubt any program can match that.
Iowa's guys have much better college and pro stats by a wide margin over Miami. There really isn't any comparison between the two. If they had ND as their TEU, I could go with that. No idea where Miami came from.

But the question is, trade for the RB's or the O-line play?

We as fans have a tendency to look at and focus on the obvious or superficial problems we see because that is low hanging fruit and it may be obvious for those who may not have really played or understand the game as much.

Often times we need to really look at the underlying problems which manifests into the obvious, such as doctors need to find underlying problems/diagnoses that cause the obvious sign's and symptoms.

One has to figure that if the line is healthy and effective, much of the issues would have worked itself out. Sometimes you have to just go back to the foundation. Iowa has had some line issues for a few years now.

Yes, they've had the Wirfs of the world and some high end players, but they sometimes leave early or have been in an odd cycle of roster years so there just wasn't this jelling as a unit for various reasons. It's been roster issues along with dealing with some career ending injuries. Sometimes they've had to play some younger guys who they may have wanted to get a bit more beefed up or experience but had to play them.
Well it's both it's a combination. I'm not sure how much better say Melvin Gordon woulda been for us (dude was committed to us initially) Just hard to say. To take it a step further it also takes play calling. The types of running plays called situationally throughout a game can help get a guy more yards too. All things Wisky I think has had an advantage over us on throughout the last few yrs for the most part.

Great and valid points. But, you can have a power run game with zone blocking. Zone blocking is all about working in unison instead of power head on head downhill blocking. Zone blocking is really neat to watch when run correctly. It is a thing of beauty and many NFL teams still do it. I don't have a problem with that so much, but, as you point out and is valid, you have to have players that can get out and zone block. I think that is what you are implying.
Yes, many teams run a bit of a hybrid, especially at the next level. Neither scheme is good nor bad. You just have to have the right coaches and players, but a zone-heavy scheme like Iowa simply has to have continuity along the entire line. One subpar lineman can have devastating effects on the run game. Your right, though, when it works it can really work. Back in the day, Denver under Shanahan feasted with it.

It's also a scheme issue. Wisconsin has traditionally run a power scheme while we have always ran a zone scheme under Kirk. Coaches have gone back and forth over the years as to which one is more effective, but in a zone scheme you have to recruit and develop athletes that can work effectively in space. What has been somewhat devastating for our line in recent years is the lack of respect for our passing game. That has allowed defenses to simply "crash" the LOS with LBs and safeties with impunity. That will always disrupt a zone scheme. If you can't make that strategy pay via the pass, your offense is simply going nowhere.

Another factor has been recruiting. It's perplexing when you look at our offensive scheme and Kirk's background, but we have struggled to recruit the OL for several years now. We had some gems, Wirfs, Scherff, etc., but we always seem to have at least one weak link. The problem is that you can't hide a weak link in the zone scheme, whereas you can to an extent in a power scheme.
Darn good analysis.

Yes, many teams run a bit of a hybrid, especially at the next level. Neither scheme is good nor bad. You just have to have the right coaches and players, but a zone-heavy scheme like Iowa simply has to have continuity along the entire line. One subpar lineman can have devastating effects on the run game. Your right, though, when it works it can really work. Back in the day, Denver under Shanahan feasted with it.

I don't think they run a hybrid pertaining to the blocking scheme. I think you have to either choose to run the zone blocking philosophy/scheme or basic downfield blocking. Ya can't really mix the two, I think.

If Iowa coulda traded for Wisconsins Rbs and overall running game for the duration of KFs tenure.... That'd have been a major problem for everyone else. That woulda made up for a mediocre passing game and hell opened it up just that much more. Is what it is
If you go back over the last 15 or so years, you’ll find in many cases, we were bridesmaids on the recruiting trail when it came to prying feature backs hth against bucky. And those backs went on to stellar college and in many cases, even pro careers. That would have likely changed a lot of things when it came to iowa offensive football during that timeframe. I’ve said it from the beginning of ferentz. His biggest issue is in recruiting and judging/developing skill positions. Oddly, the staff is the complete opposite when it comes to TE and the other side of the ball. It’s an incredible dichotomy and will be his legacy

Iowa's guys have much better college and pro stats by a wide margin over Miami. There really isn't any comparison between the two. If they had ND as their TEU, I could go with that. No idea where Miami came from.
I’m as bullish on iowa tight ends as anyone, but it’s not like Miami isn’t producing at an extremely high level:
Bubba Franks
Jeremy shockey
Kellen winslow jr
Greg olsen
Jimmy graham
Njoku
Herndon

Last edited:

Here ya go folks have at it. I stumbled upon this and I can only imagine the heat this dude is going to be getting for it. The writer is an east coaster and he doesn't even hide his bias.

MFer needs to be put down, out of his misery

I’m as bullish on iowa tight ends as anyone, but it’s not like Miami isn’t producing at an extremely high level:
Bubba Franks
Jeremy shockey
Kellen winslow jr
Greg olsen
Jimmy graham
Njoku
Herndon
Agreed. Some of those aren't in the window the article was referring to. We would also be able to add Dallas Clark, Marv Cook, Jonathan Hayes, Tony Moeaki, etc. There had to be a timeline set, and thats the one they chose to use.

I don't think they run a hybrid pertaining to the blocking scheme. I think you have to either choose to run the zone blocking philosophy/scheme or basic downfield blocking. Ya can't really mix the two, I think.
You can, but not in the same play. Many teams incorporate both into the playbook, and adjust the calls based upon the defensive tendencies and alignments. Iowa has a few power plays. They simply don't run them very often except goal line and sneaks.

You can, but not in the same play. Many teams incorporate both into the playbook, and adjust the calls based upon the defensive tendencies and alignments. Iowa has a few power plays. They simply don't run them very often except goal line and sneaks.

Personally, I don't think so. For consistency, you aren't going to bring in that many options, especially on the fly or decisions.

Personally, I don't think so. For consistency, you aren't going to bring in that many options, especially on the fly or decisions.
Not on the fly. Based upon the type of defense opponents run, teams can and will incorporate wrinkles in their blocking schemes during game prep. Not so much at the college level, but definitely in the NFL. The weather also plays a role. For example, the Packers run a lot of zone blocking with Aaron Jones, especially early in the season. When the weather gets bad, they'll often run more power alignments with A.J. Dillon. It's something that offensive linemen have talked about in terms of adjusting to the next level.

Latest posts