ESPN has a list out and it's stupid

Hawkfnntn

Here ya go folks have at it. I stumbled upon this and I can only imagine the heat this dude is going to be getting for it. The writer is an east coaster and he doesn't even hide his bias.

Not having Iowa in the top 10 in Punter U is all I need to know about this jackal and his evaluation. lol.

But, Iowa not being included in the top 10 in RB U is a problem. For Iowa's offensive to be effective and Iowa doing well offensively, it's imperative to increase that drastically.

Not having Iowa in the top 10 in Punter U is all I need to know about this jackal and his evaluation. lol.

But, Iowa not being included in the top 10 in RB U is a problem. For Iowa's offensive to be effective and Iowa doing well offensively, it's imperative to increase that drastically.
Punter U? Nah. Anywhere that rolled Rastetter out for more than a quarter worth of punts doesn't get that title for at least ten years. Remember when he hit like a fifty yard roller and everyone thought for exactly ten minutes that the sport psychologist fixed him?

I'd argue there's more a case for Iowa to be borderline DL/LB on those lists than Punter. Getting snubbed on DB is the real misstep though.

Last edited:
The writer completely skips Iowa, gives no current stats and goes back to 1998? Makes no mention of Iowa claiming the spot. What a joke.

Iowa will never be anywhere near a top 10 nationally when it comes to running backs. I mean…wow

Iowa will never be anywhere near a top 10 nationally when it comes to running backs. I mean…wow
Shonn Greene says kiss my ass. Freddy Russell to. You obviously don't get the post or reasoning. I will spell it out for u when get to my computer.

Shonn Greene says kiss my ass. Freddy Russell to. You obviously don't get the post or reasoning. I will spell it out for u when get to my computer.
What part of top 10 nationally don’t you understand? I was the biggest russell fan that existed and he was a great college back. Did nothing in the nfl. And a top 10 list is flooded with nfl backs playing multiple years. You are a homer. I fully get that we have to have great backs in order to be successful. But it hasn’t been happening. I mean, just look at last year. The best running back on the team didn’t start until several games in. But that’s been common with ferentz through the years…at least offensively. You know what would help the running game ? A better passing offense and more quickness in the backfield (like russell). Ferentz falls in love with the power backs. We rarely get the talent anymore that takes it 50-plus to the house like freddy or banks. He’s thrown many a quick running back away because they fumbled early never to be heard from again

Last edited:
What part of top 10 nationally don’t you understand? I was the biggest russell fan that existed and he was a great college back. Did nothing in the nfl. And a top 10 list is flooded with nfl backs playing multiple years. You are a homer. I fully get that we have to have great backs in order to be successful. But it hasn’t been happening. I mean, just look at last year. The best running back on the team didn’t start until several games in. But that’s been common with ferentz through the years…at least offensively. You know what would help the running game ? A better passing offense and more quickness in the backfield (like russell). Ferentz falls in love with the power backs. We rarely get the talent anymore that takes it 50-plus to the house like freddy or banks. He’s thrown many a quick running back away because they fumbled early never to be heard from again
I absolutely hate when I have to revert back and explain the meaning of posts to simpletons. The whole point I am making is with Iowa's style on offense and philosophy, to be successful and a top program, they they really need to be at the top of the RB list. This plays into their philosophy of running the ball, controlling the line of scrimmage and winning the TOP. It ALL plays into what they want to do. If they do that, they should have a RB towards the top. If not, they will end up 100+ in offense.

What I put has NOTHING to do with how Iowa has done in the past with RB's being ranked, It is ALL about what they need to have and to do to have a successful offense with their philosophy.

I ask you, WHAT IS IT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE PREMISE OF THE POST!.

I absolutely hate when I have to revert back and explain the meaning of posts to simpletons. The whole point I am making is with Iowa's style on offense and philosophy, to be successful and a top program, they they really need to be at the top of the RB list. This plays into their philosophy of running the ball, controlling the line of scrimmage and winning the TOP. It ALL plays into what they want to do. If they do that, they should have a RB towards the top. If not, they will end up 100+ in offense.

What I put has NOTHING to do with how Iowa has done in the past with RB's being ranked, It is ALL about what they need to have and to do to have a successful offense with their philosophy.

I ask you, WHAT IS IT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE PREMISE OF THE POST!.
And I literally agreed with you. Sorry about missing your point. It’s not clearly spelled out in your post IMO

And I literally agreed with you. Sorry about missing your point. It’s not clearly spelled out in your post IMO

It's all good. Sorry if a little snippy.

Here's my original statement concerning this topic "But, Iowa not being included in the top 10 in RB U is a problem. For Iowa's offensive to be effective and Iowa doing well offensively, it's imperative to increase that drastically."

Sorry for any ambiguity.

It's all good. Sorry if a little snippy.

Here's my original statement concerning this topic "But, Iowa not being included in the top 10 in RB U is a problem. For Iowa's offensive to be effective and Iowa doing well offensively, it's imperative to increase that drastically."

Sorry for any ambiguity.
Not a problem. Here’s to hoping for five-wide and running lanes for the next russell/banks.

Preseason rankings are worthless. How many time have Iowa State and Notre Dame been over ranked? Always.

What I think he meant by saying that Iowa not being in the top 10 is a problem is that it's a problem for Iowa. Not in that the list maker made a mistake not including them. I took what he said same way you did at first but when he started defending it I think I get what he meant by that.

What I think he meant by saying that Iowa not being in the top 10 is a problem is that it's a problem for Iowa. Not in that the list maker made a mistake not including them. I took what he said same way you did at first but when he started defending it I think I get what he meant by that.

Exactly. Thanks.

It is a problem because it is indicative that they aren't doing what their offense is designed to do, which leaks into issues with controlling the line of scrimmage, 3rd down conversion and the TOP. It all blends together causal effect.

Iowa is still the rare breed of power running teams with a drop back style QB. If Iowa isn't running the ball effectively and/or have any RB's rated highly (1-20) in the nation, it's an issue that needs corrected. Of course, another and prob the most important thing Iowa needs to work out is the line. There is no running game without an effective line. It all plays together.

Exactly. Thanks.

It is a problem because it is indicative that they aren't doing what their offense is designed to do, which leaks into issues with controlling the line of scrimmage, 3rd down conversion and the TOP. It all blends together causal effect.

Iowa is still the rare breed of power running teams with a drop back style QB. If Iowa isn't running the ball effectively and/or have any RB's rated highly (1-20) in the nation, it's an issue that needs corrected. Of course, another and prob the most important thing Iowa needs to work out is the line. There is no running game without an effective line. It all plays together.
If Iowa coulda traded for Wisconsins Rbs and overall running game for the duration of KFs tenure.... That'd have been a major problem for everyone else. That woulda made up for a mediocre passing game and hell opened it up just that much more. Is what it is

In the article, the guy writes: It's absurd that people attempt to make the case for anyone else as tight end U. Miami isn't just a clear-cut No. 1. The Hurricanes are tops by a country mile.

A guy on 247 Sports broke down the top 3 tight end schools, Iowa, Notre Dame, and Miami.

Iowa's have better college stats
ND gets more players drafted and more in the first 3 rounds
Their NFL stats are basically equal.

However you look at it, Miami is definitely not TEU and it's not even close. He says that Iowa and ND share it.

In the last 2 years, Iowa's NFL tight ends have totaled 4272 yards on 410 catches.
In the last 20 years, Miami's NFL tight ends have totaled 4372 yards on 394 catches.
And no, that's not a typo, 2 years for Iowa, 20 years for Miami.

If Iowa coulda traded for Wisconsins Rbs and overall running game for the duration of KFs tenure.... That'd have been a major problem for everyone else. That woulda made up for a mediocre passing game and hell opened it up just that much more. Is what it is
But the question is, trade for the RB's or the O-line play?

We as fans have a tendency to look at and focus on the obvious or superficial problems we see because that is low hanging fruit and it may be obvious for those who may not have really played or understand the game as much.

Often times we need to really look at the underlying problems which manifests into the obvious, such as doctors need to find underlying problems/diagnoses that cause the obvious sign's and symptoms.

One has to figure that if the line is healthy and effective, much of the issues would have worked itself out. Sometimes you have to just go back to the foundation. Iowa has had some line issues for a few years now.

Yes, they've had the Wirfs of the world and some high end players, but they sometimes leave early or have been in an odd cycle of roster years so there just wasn't this jelling as a unit for various reasons. It's been roster issues along with dealing with some career ending injuries. Sometimes they've had to play some younger guys who they may have wanted to get a bit more beefed up or experience but had to play them.

In the article, the guy writes: It's absurd that people attempt to make the case for anyone else as tight end U. Miami isn't just a clear-cut No. 1. The Hurricanes are tops by a country mile.

A guy on 247 Sports broke down the top 3 tight end schools, Iowa, Notre Dame, and Miami.

However you look at it, Miami is definitely not TEU and it's not even close. He says that Iowa and ND share it.

In the last 2 years, Iowa's NFL tight ends have totaled 4272 yards on 410 catches.
In the last 20 years, Miami's NFL tight ends have totaled 4372 yards on 394 catches.

I thought it sounded like a stretch when I read that to.

Nice find for stats. That's alarming and too bad someone couldn't call him out on that. I may have to look up the writer and Twitter X this info to him. Lame.

But the question is, trade for the RB's or the O-line play?

We as fans have a tendency to look at and focus on the obvious or superficial problems we see because that is low hanging fruit and it may be obvious for those who may not have really played or understand the game as much.

Often times we need to really look at the underlying problems which manifests into the obvious, such as doctors need to find underlying problems/diagnoses that cause the obvious sign's and symptoms.

One has to figure that if the line is healthy and effective, much of the issues would have worked itself out. Sometimes you have to just go back to the foundation. Iowa has had some line issues for a few years now.

Yes, they've had the Wirfs of the world and some high end players, but they sometimes leave early or have been in an odd cycle of roster years so there just wasn't this jelling as a unit for various reasons. It's been roster issues along with dealing with some career ending injuries. Sometimes they've had to play some younger guys who they may have wanted to get a bit more beefed up or experience but had to play them.
It's also a scheme issue. Wisconsin has traditionally run a power scheme while we have always ran a zone scheme under Kirk. Coaches have gone back and forth over the years as to which one is more effective, but in a zone scheme you have to recruit and develop athletes that can work effectively in space. What has been somewhat devastating for our line in recent years is the lack of respect for our passing game. That has allowed defenses to simply "crash" the LOS with LBs and safeties with impunity. That will always disrupt a zone scheme. If you can't make that strategy pay via the pass, your offense is simply going nowhere.

Another factor has been recruiting. It's perplexing when you look at our offensive scheme and Kirk's background, but we have struggled to recruit the OL for several years now. We had some gems, Wirfs, Scherff, etc., but we always seem to have at least one weak link. The problem is that you can't hide a weak link in the zone scheme, whereas you can to an extent in a power scheme.

I haven't read the article, but I guess it boils down to definition of the term. If end results define TEU, then Iowa is the clear winner over the past 10 years or so. If it is college production, then I'm not sure.

At one point, around 10 years ago, Iowa had 7 TEs on active rosters in the NFL. I doubt any program can match that.

Latest posts