Eric May will sleep well tonight.

Sirhouseman

He was run through a gauntlet ALL night tonight trying to stay with Hummel. He did a pretty darn good job too. It was such a tough assignment. Hummel is bigger and moves well off the ball. May had to fight through multiple tough screens. I've been critical of him, but tonight was one of his better games. He sacrificed his body in a real physical contest. It seemed like he got a lot of boards on the defensive end, and he hit a big three at a crucial point.

Great effort tonight.

I haven't watched the game yet but based on the box score Hummel scored 16 points (leading scorer for PU) and grabbed 11 rebounds. Doesn't really look like Hummel was held in check.

I haven't watched the game yet but based on the box score Hummel scored 16 points (leading scorer for PU) and grabbed 11 rebounds. Doesn't really look like Hummel was held in check.

Check the box score again. I believe Hummel scored that 16 on 5-14 shooting? What else do you want May to do? He made tonight a living hell for Hummel. May played very well tonight, particularly on the defensive end.

Hey, hawkeye12345.

Sometimes a player gets his points but he has to work his tail off to get them and that is considered a great game by the defense.

Check the box score again. I believe Hummel scored that 16 on 5-14 shooting? What else do you want May to do? He made tonight a living hell for Hummel. May played very well tonight, particularly on the defensive end.

5-14 would indicate some good D, but May only played half the game. I didn't watch him much on the defensive end. If you say he was playing good D, I will buy that. May needs to be doing something good. Because his offense isn't. He missed plenty of open shots, again. May has the touch, he just can't sink the shot...

may played great d. hummel seemed to thrive when may wasnt on the court because he wasnt as harrassed. just wish may could develop on the other side of the ball. but i think he is trying to become a defensive stopper and that is what i think he should be because of his size, quickness, and strength.

Hummel definitely worked for those points tonight. I'm pretty pleased with this game. The guys played hard and kept it close the entire game. I guess that's one of those "moral victories". Anyway, they stayed in it and had a chance to win it at the end. I hope we see this effort throughout the B1G season.

I lucked into some great seats last night and gained a new found appreciation for how hard the whole team, especially Gatens and May, worked on defense. Purdue's offense is predicated on running Hummel's defender through a landmine field of screens and hedges.

May and others did a great job keeping Hummel from getting open looks and space to drive. Hummel is a lot quicker than I gave him credit for and hit some tough shots. I haven't looked at the stats, but I would bet half his points came from the line. The guy that killed was DJ Bird. He either hit a 3 or drove into traffic and scored whenever Purdue needed a hoop.

Once you watch the game, you'll understand. Hummel had to work very hard for his points and made some shots with a hand in his face. This was the best May has played in a long time. I still think Fran needs to play him down low more where he can board and get garbage buckets. Until Eric gets a left hand, he doesn't belong handling the ball at the top of the key.

Agree he had a great game defensively, but he is maddening on offense. That pump fake on no one immediately followed by a travel absolutely drives me nuts. It happened again in the first half. All he had to do was catch the ball and take it to the rim.

this!

excellent summary, May, McCabe, and Brommer are garbage, role players, May could be an excellent shooter but really struggles with his confidence, once he misses a couple of shots he tends to become passive and quits looking to score, crazy as it sounds if May could get on a roll and improve his confidence he could be an 8-12 point a game scorer, plus he is our best perimeter defender and rebounder. good kid and teammate might surprise everyone before it is all over, there must be a reason Fran plays him this much.

Please tell me you're kidding. If not, please pass whatever it is your chiefin' on!

this! excellent summary, May, McCabe, and Brommer are garbage, role players, May could be an excellent shooter but really struggles with his confidence, once he misses a couple of shots he tends to become passive and quits looking to score, crazy as it sounds if May could get on a roll and improve his confidence he could be an 8-12 point a game scorer, plus he is our best perimeter defender and rebounder. good kid and teammate might surprise everyone before it is all over, there must be a reason Fran plays him this much.
Please tell me you're kidding. If not, please pass whatever it is your chiefin' on!

May led our team in 3p% last year shooting almost 40%. This year he's shooting a very respectable 38% and trails only oglseby.

May is our best perimeter defensive player, tough athletic kid who gets loose balls and rebounds, are you sure if he shot as much as Marble, Ogelsby, or Gatens he wouldn't score 10-12 point a game? He has a great stroke but my guess is that he struggles with confidence and tends to become less aggressive on the offensive end after missing a couple of shots.

the problem is that may cant get a consistent shot because he can only dribble with his right hand and even that isnt very good. those other three can get their own shot in the half-court. i as well as others thought may would flourish in the fastbreak because of his athleticism but even that hasnt happened.

he is a great defender on the perimeter and a good rebounder. he is not an offensive weapon. he works hard and i am gld we have him and gatens to instill a good work ethic into the younger players. most players that have lost as much as those two would pack it in. but they work harder than most from what i have heard. scorer = marble, complimentary scorers = gatens and oglesby, may has a roll too either of those rolls do not fit his skill set.

he has a good 3 pt percentage because he doesnt force threes but he also doesnt take near the volume that oglesby and gatens do. he is smart and plays within himself most of the time. and i like that about may.

this!

excellent summary, May, McCabe, and Brommer are garbage, role players, May could be an excellent shooter but really struggles with his confidence, once he misses a couple of shots he tends to become passive and quits looking to score, crazy as it sounds if May could get on a roll and improve his confidence he could be an 8-12 point a game scorer, plus he is our best perimeter defender and rebounder. good kid and teammate might surprise everyone before it is all over, there must be a reason Fran plays him this much.

If I was Fran I would have benched May after the first 5 minutes of the game. McCabe wasn't much better.

As has been mentioned, May only played half the game, and did a very nice job hounding Hummel when he was playing. He rebounded well, and hit two crucial baskets down the stretch that kept us in the game. He brought the ball upcourt on occasion when we needed the help. His experience is a critical factor. I actually noticed a steadying influence when he was in the game at times.

I do like to see Eric shooting without hesitation when he is open. When and If he gets into a groove, it will help the team offensively.

It is good to see him improving, just like Bryce and Mel. Bryce should consider the passing option a bit more.....

:)

As has been mentioned, May only played half the game, and did a very nice job hounding Hummel when he was playing. He rebounded well, and hit two crucial baskets down the stretch that kept us in the game. He brought the ball upcourt on occasion when we needed the help. His experience is a critical factor. I actually noticed a steadying influence when he was in the game at times.

I do like to see Eric shooting without hesitation when he is open. When and If he gets into a groove, it will help the team offensively.

It is good to see him improving, just like Bryce and Mel. Bryce should consider the passing option a bit more.....

:)

Exactly. Sometimes you are open for a reason.

It seemed that the ball rolled Purdue's way most of the game, Hummel and Byrd looked good. I was thinking this was their best chance to win as the front part of Big10 play looks though. You have to be glad they kept it close all game, hopefully these kids can see that they can play with the top of the conference.

Latest posts