Email Message from Coach McCaffery

Like Hayden said when he came to Iowa. You have to change the attidude of the program and the fans to a winning one. You have to have pride in the program, and support it through the ups and downs. Doesn't matter what you think of Coach Fran's approach. The fact that he is making the effort, and wants to be here and succeed, is all that really matters. Remember though, that he has a big hole to dig out of, and it won't happen over night. He stills needs us to have his back until he gets there.

Nothing wrong with either stance- be cynical or accepting of the campaign all you want. If it gets people excited, great! If it's not for you... more to complain about on the message boards about how the marketing efforts still stink.

Personally don't question the effort, more the approach/message seems a little off tilt.

Really?? Am I the only one?

I mean, I like the enthusiasm. I do. But I thought the "MAD" concept is kind of silly and uninspired. Direct quote from part of the site:

"'MAD' is short for madness. Which is short for march madness. Participation in the NCAA tournament is the stamp of approval for a season well done. The Hawkeyes want to be 'MAD' in march."

We get it. Mad. Like, march madness. You want to be playing in the tournament. We know.

I guess I feel like it could just be a little more eloquent or catchy or something. Regardless, I guess I'm glad the enthusiasm's there.

No, you aren't the only one. It's cheesy. I'm willing to buy into it but I do prefer Ferentz's approach...quiet confidence, let the play on the field energize people, let the fans do the cheerleading while the coach coaches. This seems a bit much. Shrugs.

I think this message says more than we know about the new coach and I love it. Count me in as one that is starting to drink the kool aid. I think Fran is a very confident guy for allowing this to be put out. Sounds to me like a guy that's going to back that confidence up with a lot of hard work and see this thing through. I wasn't sold at 1st but I'm coming around quickly.

Many on these message boards are probably too young to remember when Hayden Fry was hired - but he came in with the same type of message - he wanted to change the culture of Iowa football, from the smallest details (yes, even changing the uniforms) to getting the best players here. He didn't start with much, but he came in with enthusiasm and a plan, and it carried over to the whole program. Hayden embraced being at Iowa, even though he came from another region of the country. It's early, but I see parallels with McCaffery.

I like the marketing campaign. I don't see it as "uninspired". I suppose some marketing guru could come up with something else that would be catchy, but this isn't a pedestrian effort. I think that as fans, we need to stick our necks out a little bit, see the glass as half full, and re-invest in the program. That's all.

+1 This is exactly what I was thinking. I am old enough to remember the pre Hayden era, and our football program was everybit the disaster that our b-ball program is now. Hayden came in and began with marketing the product. He asked that the fans and the university be as dedicated to turning the program around as he was. I like this move by the U of I.

+1 This is exactly what I was thinking. I am old enough to remember the pre Hayden era, and our football program was everybit the disaster that our b-ball program is now. Hayden came in and began with marketing the product. He asked that the fans and the university be as dedicated to turning the program around as he was. I like this move by the U of I.

Same here. I remember his comment after Iowa lost a very competitive game to Oklahoma early in his first year, that he would "smack any player in the mouth who was smiling" about the loss. I thought....whoa, this guy means business...no more "moral victories".

Same here. I remember his comment after Iowa lost a very competitive game to Oklahoma early in his first year, that he would "smack any player in the mouth who was smiling" about the loss. I thought....whoa, this guy means business...no more "moral victories".

He actually saw some players smiling & joking around after that game and the acceptance of a losing effort did not set well with Hayden - he made it very clear that he demanded a winning attitude and that included feeling hurt after a loss. He got his message across, he instilled a winning attitude in the program, and big wins followed. I expect similar results with FM's attitude and approach.

I got this as I was leaving the gym this morning. I got so pumped up I went back in and shot hoops for a half hour.

Nothing wrong with either stance- be cynical or accepting of the campaign all you want. If it gets people excited, great! If it's not for you... more to complain about on the message boards about how the marketing efforts still stink.

Personally don't question the effort, more the approach/message seems a little off tilt.

What I posted was not a complaint, and I am never cynical in my daily discourse. It is for me; the first thing I stated was that I liked the enthusiasm and the attitude. I just thought the rallying cry could've used a little more polish.

Apologies if I came across as "directing" this comment towards you- that wasn't the intention at all. More about that lots have said they like it, some have said they hate it... regardless... it's here and it seems to be generating quite a bit of interest/discussion.

Apologies if I came across as "directing" this comment towards you- that wasn't the intention at all. More about that lots have said they like it, some have said they hate it... regardless... it's here and it seems to be generating quite a bit of interest/discussion.

The marketing effort is a great turn around in and of itself for the sports office, I like it, now for the wins on the floor where it will really count in the long run!

Did anyone reading this think it took a nice parting shot (well deserved I might add) at Lick. I kind of read it that way becauas everything mentioned early on was exactly opposite of "the Lick" way, but I don't mind it. It's definitely great to see the fans and players excited again.

I'm not going to hold it against him if he's not able to bring in a "star" right now. It's a little late in the game for next year. Let's face it, most (note I didn't say "all") of the star players are already signed with, or have been courted by other programs for quite some time now. As long as he brings in somebody that can play his style of ball and help the team I'll be satisfied. Next year when he's been here for the whole recruiting process, different expectations.

The difference between what I hope next year will be like and the last few years is that even if we don't turn it around right away at least there will be excitement. The excitement will only last so long though before winning has to go along with it.

So far, I love what I see.

Latest posts