Ellingson

I agree, Connor appeared to be in control during the exhibitions and handled pressure well. He isn't nor will he ever be that elite PG some want to see. Like you said he appeared to have a good handle and vision as well. I hope he is healthy enough to play tomorrow. IMO we need to get him plenty of live game reps before the games start to really count.

And it remains to be seen, but Connor's rep is that he's also a good 3 point shooter. We haven't seen that yet, but if its true and he starts displaying it, then having a rotation of Connor, JBo and Isaiah at guard should guarantee back court scoring and really help our bigs. But, Connor and JBo will be defensive liabilities on the defensive side with their lack of foot speed.

And it remains to be seen, but Connor's rep is that he's also a good 3 point shooter. We haven't seen that yet, but if its true and he starts displaying it, then having a rotation of Connor, JBo and Isaiah at guard should guarantee back court scoring and really help our bigs. But, Connor and JBo will be defensive liabilities on the defensive side with their lack of foot speed.

Agreed. Connor struggled shooting in the exhibitions but at least he didn't force things. If he can display he is a capable shooter that will be a nice addition. Yep, unfortunately the perimeter defense from the guards will once again be a liability for the most part. Thankfully the rest of the team has length & size to help cover up these deficiencies when opposing teams penetrate the zone.

My Post: "...True pg's are the most sought after college hoopsters and there are plenty of big dogs chasing few of them."

Your reply to my post: "Chicago State found one."

In the context of that statement and reply, you are saying that because Chicago State found a "true pg" in a discussion on Iowa not having found a true pg, you are saying it's a miss for Iowa and Fran.
No. Chicago State found one ..means that Chicago State found one. The way you "interpret" my words is a you problem.
You will always be taken to task when you attack someone else with your "interpretation" of what they said.
You can't have a civil debate when one side uses their "interpretation" rather than the actual words of the other side. Doing so is...well, I'll let you pick the appropriate word.

Agreed. Connor struggled shooting in the exhibitions but at least he didn't force things. If he can display he is a capable shooter that will be a nice addition. Yep, unfortunately the perimeter defense from the guards will once again be a liability for the most part. Thankfully the rest of the team has length & size to help cover up these deficiencies when opposing teams penetrate the zone.

and, we're lucky that we do have length and quickness with our 3's and 4's so we can play a 3/4 press and take 10 seconds off the shot clock which can help mitigate our defensive shortcomings.

No. Chicago State found one ..means that Chicago State found one. The way you "interpret" my words is a you problem.
You will always be taken to task when you attack someone else with your "interpretation" of what they said.
You can't have a civil debate when one side uses their "interpretation" rather than the actual words of the other side. Doing so is...well, I'll let you pick the appropriate word.

LOL. Dude, in a strict translation of the english language, you called it a miss for Iowa. It was not an interpretation. Otherwise, and again I say, we already agree that Fran has missed on a number of pg recruits. I don't believe that kid from Chicago State is a B1G caliber player; therefore, I sure wouldn't have used him as an example of a pg that Iowa didn't get.

LOL. Dude, in a strict translation of the english language, you called it a miss for Iowa. It was not an interpretation. Otherwise, and again I say, we already agree that Fran has missed on a number of pg recruits. I don't believe that kid from Chicago State is a B1G caliber player; therefore, I sure wouldn't have used him as an example of a pg that Iowa didn't get.
See...I was right. You ARE ignorant. According to Webster's definition.

and, we're lucky that we do have length and quickness with our 3's and 4's so we can play a 3/4 press and take 10 seconds off the shot clock which can help mitigate our defensive shortcomings.

Agreed. Fran's press is the staple of his defense IMO. It's not necessarily designed to force turnovers but is very good at affecting the opposing offense's ability to get things setup and eats away at the shot clock. Having length at the front end can really cause havoc. Fran has had some good ones at that spot among White, Uthoff, & Baer. You can probably add Nunge to that list as well.

A 2nd string 2G that can shoot really good and isn't very good at anything else. Sounds like most teams 2nd string 2Gs.
Not good teams. And you don't usually see RS JRs backing up RS SOs. Thats a failed project backing up a project

I pointed this out last year and we'll see how it plays out this year. JBo had the benefit of playing next to Jok who was every defense's main concern last year. He doesn't have that luxury this year. Opposing defenses will play him straight up and force him to beat them.
It's going to be interesting to see how he does.

By the end of the year, opposing defenses were playing Bohannon straight up and he kept getting better. This season, if they gang up on him, there are a lot more guys than Jok that will make them pay.

I watched the game, not sure who else on this post has, and Moss didn't seem to play much. Every team we play seems to have more speed in the front court so I wonder why we always swing and miss on recruits. I was merely commenting there are other players on the team we can try in that position to prepare for another worse case scenario like someone else getting hurt. Also, if you look on the football side of the forums I started a Stanley post full of love.
I'm sorry you have to talk crap about my post to feel better about the shag carpet that surrounds your bedroom in your mom's basement. There are other ways adults can share opinions and have opposing views about the teams they love without being dbags.
JG10 made a well thought out post with stats to support his comments. I won't comment on your post(s) other than to say they are much different than JG10's.

Right now our primary 3-point shooters (Bohannon, Moss, Ellingson, Nunge) are shooting 19/37 from 3. That's 51%. A number that high isn't sustainable, but anything over 40% is better than what Jok shot in his career.

Right now our primary 3-point shooters (Bohannon, Moss, Ellingson, Nunge) are shooting 19/37 from 3. That's 51%. A number that high isn't sustainable, but anything over 40% is better than what Jok shot in his career.
When we are back to 100% I would replace Nunge with Baer on your list. The combination of JBo, Moss, Ellingson, and Baer certainly has the potential to be up near 40% on 3s.

Throw in Nunge, Cmac, Kriener, Dailey (if he gets minutes), and Garza (maybe) as potential other options from deep and we should have a really good 3pt shooting team.

I’m already a fan of this Isaiah Moss project. I just hope it goes as well as the Devyn Marble and Peter Jok projects.
I don't recall either of them redshirting but I could be mistaken.
I'm not hating on Moss. He's got skills. I'd like to see a better back up than BE. And I definitely want to see a better back up at PG, then BE.

Last edited:
I don't recall either of them redshirting but I could be mistaken.
I'm not hating on Moss. He's got skills. I'd like to see a better back up than BE. And I definitely want to see a better back up at PG, then BE.

Moss redshirted because for 1 season he was going to be buried behind Gesell, Clemmons, Jok and Uthoff. The next season 3 of those players graduated and minutes opened up on the outside.

Not to mention there were academic issues that led to Moss being late getting to Iowa and completely missing the PTL.

Dont look into his redshirt anymore than that. Its only a positive

Don't read anything into the 3% percentage right now. All it shows is that they can hit the wide open 3 over 1/2 the time. The competition will get tougher and those wide open looks will soon turn to someone in their face.

We keep hearing how difficult it is to find quality guards, to excuse Fran's inability to sign them. Yet, every year we face a half dozen small D-1 programs that have these guards on their rosters. Not to mention all of the BIG programs that have them too.
The excuses for Fran are beyond ignorant, so, just stop already. He's not a new coach here any longer. It's past time he started signing more than 2 guards that can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.
It is almost impossible for me to believe that you don't rate JBo as a high quality point guard. Is he "classic" in every way? No. Is he top shelf in several ways, including his shooting ability, his passing ability, his almost total lack of turnovers? Yup. This is not just me talking. The Big Ten coaches, the media, the BTN network, all have given him very high marks. I hate to be blunt, but I will be to save time: You don't know what you are talking about. Sorry.

Latest posts