Elite Eight Memories

I find the anti-Mr. Davis rhetoric interesting, Perhaps he wasn't a high level coach, but compared to what we have had at Iowa since, I would rather go through the heartbreak of a elite 8 loss. Given the Lute-Mr. Davis years, way more often than not, it was fun to fill the brackets and watch the selection show. Been kind of a mess ever since.

No doubt about Mr. Davis. I've been following Iowa basketball since Lute and the pecking order of coaches since then is:

Lute>Mr. Davis>Raveling>Fran>Alford>Lick.

Not sure who to put in front of the other between Fran and Alford. Tiebreaker goes to Fran because Alford was so pompous.

No doubt about Mr. Davis. I've been following Iowa basketball since Lute and the pecking order of coaches since then is:

Lute>Mr. Davis>Raveling>Fran>Alford>Lick.

Not sure who to put in front of the other between Fran and Alford. Tiebreaker goes to Fran because Alford was so pompous.

I would agree here although the gap between Lute and the rest is Grand Canyon sized. But for many people this loss was unforgivable particularly when you consider what happened afterward.

5 seed in 1988 tournament (2nd round win against UNLV was one of the few times TD won a game when he was the lower seed) and getting blown out by Arizona in regional semifinals. Keep in mind Iowa beat eventual national champion Kansas by 20 that year.

4 seed in 1989 and losing in the second round to NC State in OT.

TD's first 2 years were his best at Iowa and they can, rightfully so, be considered underachieving years when you consider the talent on the roster.

I would agree here although the gap between Lute and the rest is Grand Canyon sized. But for many people this loss was unforgivable particularly when you consider what happened afterward.

5 seed in 1988 tournament (2nd round win against UNLV was one of the few times TD won a game when he was the lower seed) and getting blown out by Arizona in regional semifinals. Keep in mind Iowa beat eventual national champion Kansas by 20 that year.

4 seed in 1989 and losing in the second round to NC State in OT.

TD's first 2 years were his best at Iowa and they can, rightfully so, be considered underachieving years when you consider the talent on the roster.
Iowa followed that 20 point Kansas win with an even bigger thrashing of a Villinova team that eventually reached the Elite Eight. Memories of that Maui Classic:

The officiating was horrible. The intentional foul rule was new and officials were calling them with regularity.

The games were chippy. A Kansas player threw an elbow at Michael Reaves, the absolute last player you wanted to mess with. Reaves practically chased him out of the building until Bill Jones caught up with him and calmed him down.

The Villanova game was worse. One of their guards (Wilson?) opened a huge gash over Marble's eye with a deliberate elbow of his own. Iowa responded by applying, according to Bill Raftery, "the most vicious pressure I've ever seen. Villanova can't even get the ball inbounds right now". (Jeff Moe, no slouch in badass department either, even before he owned strip clubs, told Raftery that "the elbow started it") Raftery called Iowa "the best team in the nation" after beating Kansas and Villanova.

The best full court press I ever saw was former Davis assistant Kevin Mackey and his Mouse McFadden Clinton Ransey Cleveland State teams of 1986-87. Those guys were insane. Their win over Indiana was no fluke. They almost made the Elite Eight that year.

Last edited:
I remember being crushed when Lute Olson announced he was leaving for Arizona. I was young and thought the end of the world was coming. I suppose my boys will feel the same when Kirk Ferentz says he's retiring. About the same age as I was at the time.

BTW, I'm not one of those Bartman blamers, (national perception not mine) nor do I want this to devolve into a baseball debate. The real goat of that inning was Aramis Rameriez who one, wasn't guarding the line when Juan Pierre's double whistled by him and two, didn't make much of an effort to go for it. Some of that was also on Dusty Baker for not having his late inning defense in position. Pierre's double should have been the second out of the inning.

Um ...

Big play, too. But I think Pierre's double was one out man on first. That ball was hit right where Aramis should have been in a late inning of a three run game. It happened even before the Bartman play. Alex wouldn't have needed to turn two. Nor would there have been a runner on second to impede his vision. Watch the whole inning from the beginning. Everyone one remembers A Gon and Bartman and Prior melting down. No one remembers Pierre's double.

Big play, too. But I think Pierre's double was one out man on first. That ball was hit right where Aramis should have been in a late inning of a three run game. It happened even before the Bartman play. Alex wouldn't have needed to turn two. Nor would there have been a runner on second to impede his vision. Watch the whole inning from the beginning. Everyone one remembers A Gon and Bartman and Prior melting down. No one remembers Pierre's double.
Aramis was acquired to hit. Alex was acquired to play defense. I put the loss on Alex the second the game ended...never understood the Bartman nonsense. But everyone makes mistakes. Look at every play of the game and other plays/guys were a factor. It's a team sport.

Early in the second half. It was an invisible foul. One of the main reasons we lost the game. Gamble sat while UNLV made their comeback. Had a chance at the end o win it though. Lobbed a pass to Brad Lohaus underneath the basket, but the pass was off, as Billy Cunningham mentioned.....
That's how I remembered it. UNLV doesn't get back in the game without that call IMO.

Aramis was acquired to hit. Alex was acquired to play defense. I put the loss on Alex the second the game ended...never understood the Bartman nonsense. But everyone makes mistakes. Look at every play of the game and other plays/guys were a factor. It's a team sport.
I never understood that Bartman nonsense either, and the governor Blajovech made a completely idiotic comment in the Catching Hell 30 for 30 "He'll never get a pardon in this state." Ramierez was actually a dependable third baseman. He just didn't like to dive to his right. He dislocated his shoulder twice in his career doing it. But guarding the line in that situation is a common baseball move.

I still think Gonzalez's vision was impeded by the runner going off second base. Ozzie Guiillen's White Sox teams were notorious for impeding infielders. Golly gee, look who was on the Marlins coaching staff in '03.

Sorry, I lied l'm turning it into a baseball thread.

Last edited:
What's interesting is if you ask people their memory of this game, they remember Iowa leading up until the very end and then gave it away. In all actuality, UNLV had something like a 24-2 run in the first 10 mins of the 2nd half.

I hate Gerald Paddio!

This^^

It wasn't Tom Davis "playing not to lose", it was a combo of UNLV getting insanely hot, a "young" team getting a little panicky, and then Iowa not quite able to pull off the comeback.

God, that second half sucked!

I remember being crushed when Lute Olson announced he was leaving for Arizona. I was young and thought the end of the world was coming. I suppose my boys will feel the same when Kirk Ferentz says he's retiring. About the same age as I was at the time.

People forget Lute's last three seasons, though.

1981: sweep Indiana, have chance to win Big 10 title with two games left, promptly lose both, then absolute blow first-round game against Wichita State when we call time-out..with no time outs left..after missing a game-winning shot then fouling in the scramble for the ball. Gene Smithson's kid hits four foul shots with about two seconds on the clock....ugh

1982: lose Big 10 title via Jim Bain...tough first round game, then lose to Idaho at the end of OT with a shot that bounces on the back of the rim before dropping through...snakebit?

1983: finish regular season 19-9, including bad losses to and last-second 3s beating us. Lose to Villanova in Sweet 16, but the whole season felt "What-the-hell-is-with-this-team?"...and Lute leaves

People forget Lute's last three seasons, though.

1981: sweep Indiana, have chance to win Big 10 title with two games left, promptly lose both, then absolute blow first-round game against Wichita State when we call time-out..with no time outs left..after missing a game-winning shot then fouling in the scramble for the ball. Gene Smithson's kid hits four foul shots with about two seconds on the clock....ugh

1982: lose Big 10 title via Jim Bain...tough first round game, then lose to Idaho at the end of OT with a shot that bounces on the back of the rim before dropping through...snakebit?

1983: finish regular season 19-9, including bad losses to and last-second 3s beating us. Lose to Villanova in Sweet 16, but the whole season felt "What-the-hell-is-with-this-team?"...and Lute leaves
The "Jim Bain game" would leave it's legacy in the NCAA. It would take a couple of years, but a rule would be passed preventing an official from working more than one game in a 24 hour period. The legend is that Bain needed to catch a flight to Kansas City to work a Big Eight tournament game that evening. And he didn't want the game to go into overtime.

Who knows, it may have been the first step toward Lute eventually leaving town for the Arizona job.

c
The "Jim Bain game" would leave it's legacy in the NCAA. It would take a couple of years, but a rule would be passed preventing an official from working more than one game in a 24 hour period. The legend is that Bain needed to catch a flight to Kansas City to work a Big Eight tournament game that evening. And he didn't want the game to go into overtime.

Who knows, it may have been the first step toward Lute eventually leaving town for the Arizona job.

Lute's last season featured several very uncomfortable press conferences/briefings. The Sweet 16 appearance was actually kind of surprising, to me, including a win over #2 seed Missouri. But, the team just did not look real good that year. Some really stupid losses to lower-level Big 10 teams, which really hadn't happened with Lute.

I'll never forget the second Minnesota game--a Sunday afternoon and a loss--in which Lohaus missed a dunk and CBSs Don Criqui remarked that Lohaus suffered from "White Man's Disease". Criqui later called Brad to apologize, apparently. God, some of the folks on this board would have been torn. Disdain for Lohaus, coupled with Criqui's obvious "racism"...

Lute's last season featured several very uncomfortable press conferences/briefings. The Sweet 16 appearance was actually kind of surprising, to me, including a win over #2 seed Missouri. But, the team just did not look real good that year. Some really stupid losses to lower-level Big 10 teams, which really hadn't happened with Lute.

I'll never forget the second Minnesota game--a Sunday afternoon and a loss--in which Lohaus missed a dunk and CBSs Don Criqui remarked that Lohaus suffered from "White Man's Disease". Criqui later called Brad to apologize, apparently. God, some of the folks on this board would have been torn. Disdain for Lohaus, coupled with Criqui's obvious "racism"...
That was a strange year, especially for Steve Carfino, who's name has popped up on other threads. In the USC game he was sucker punched by future Hawkeye Gerry Wright. At UCLA southern California native Carfino was heckled by Bruin fans ("Carfino, you're ugly"). Lute had an increasingly tempestuous battle with a couple of DSM register sports writers, was tired of Midwestern Winters (A North Dakota native?) and general lack of privacy in a small town. I seem to remember him being upset over the slow construction pace of Carver Hawkeye. Then there was Criqui's comments, a tough loss to MSU in the Carver debut, and I believe one last game in the Fieldhouse against Indiana. Lute's incoming recruiting class for 1984 was by far his weakest. That issue would soon be rectified.

Last edited:
That was a strange year, especially for Steve Carfino, who's name has popped up on other threads. In the USC game he was sucker punched by future Hawkeye Gerry Wright. At UCLA southern California native Carfino was heckled by Bruin fans ("Carfino, you're ugly"). Lute had an increasingly tempestuous battle with a couple of DSM register sports writers, was tired of Midwestern Winters (A North Dakota native?) and general lack of privacy in a small town. I seem to remember him being upset over the slow construction pace of Carver Hawkeye. Then there was Criqui's comments, a tough loss to MSU in the Carver debut, and I believe one last game in the Fieldhouse against Indiana. Lute's incoming recruiting class for 1984 was by far his weakest. That issue would soon be rectified.

Lute's press conferences were cringe-worthy that year. He looked absent-minded some of the time, and in one of them he kept pressing his hand against his hair, as if he were trying to press a "rug" into place. You would see Carfino around campus, and he was always friendly and outgoing, but he was always alone, never seemed to be hanging out with anyone else. I saw Bobby Hansen sitting at a table in Phillips Hall after an exam one night. Somebody went up and asked him a question, and he just gave this audible "sigh", as if all he had been doing all day was answering stupid questions. And for anyone around during that time, you;ll remember that Andre Banks and Brad Lohaus could be found FREQUENTLY at the game room in the Iowa Memorial Union, where both fed their serious video game addictions. It was funny to see Lohaus, leaning over a game, taking up a whole aisle so he could keep his legs straight. And wearing what had to be THE longest pair of "topsiders" known to all of humanity!

Villanova better find a way to inbound the ball against West Virginia or else.....

Some of the best defense I have seen in a while. Reminds me of Nolan Richardson's 40 minutes of Hell

:cool: