Eddy P. statements

oskyhawk74

I read on another site that Eddy P. had said some brutally honest things about Iowa football. Could someone summerize what he talked about.

It sounds like it was primarily calling out the D. It sounds like he was just sick of seeing Iowa sitting back playing the base D. Quite frankly, while many folks are giving Eddie P props for "saying it like it is" ... I think that it's mostly because he's just telling folks what they want to hear.

The fact of the matter is that Eddie P is like the rest of us ... he was just frustrated at watching yet another game slip away at the end of the game because the D couldn't get a stop. However, that's rather foolish because Iowa DID force tOSU to face a 4th and 10 ... however, to tOSU's credit (and primarily to Pryor's credit) ... they were able to convert.

My point being that Eddie gets emotional ... just like the rest of us. And, out of emotion, you're not always going to be as logical as you ordinarily would be.

It sounds like it was primarily calling out the D. It sounds like he was just sick of seeing Iowa sitting back playing the base D. Quite frankly, while many folks are giving Eddie P props for "saying it like it is" ... I think that it's mostly because he's just telling folks what they want to hear.

The fact of the matter is that Eddie P is like the rest of us ... he was just frustrated at watching yet another game slip away at the end of the game because the D couldn't get a stop. However, that's rather foolish because Iowa DID force tOSU to face a 4th and 10 ... however, to tOSU's credit (and primarily to Pryor's credit) ... they were able to convert.

My point being that Eddie gets emotional ... just like the rest of us. And, out of emotion, you're not always going to be as logical as you ordinarily would be.

They only got to a 4th and 10 because the Ohio St reciever dropped a wide open TD pass.

No offense, but you're full of crap. Eddie is NOT just like the rest of us. He is a former Hawkeye, a former NFL player and one of the best college football analysts in the entire country. So unless people on this site have that acumen, then no, he is NOT just like the rest of us. And for him to say what he said lends a lot more weight than most anyone else saying it. Sorry that doesn't fit with your Baghdad Bob routine, but that's the way it is.

No offense, but you're full of crap. Eddie is NOT just like the rest of us. He is a former Hawkeye, a former NFL player and one of the best college football analysts in the entire country. So unless people on this site have that acumen, then no, he is NOT just like the rest of us. And for him to say what he said lends a lot more weight than most anyone else saying it. Sorry that doesn't fit with your Baghdad Bob routine, but that's the way it is.

+1

Sure would have been nice to have a spy on pryor for that 4th and 10 play....

You don't have to change the whole system but a tweak like that could have iced the game.

Not sure Eddy P is one of the best analysts in the country but I agree 100% with everything else you said.

Which in hindsight, I wish he would have caught. Would have given us much more time to possibly tie the game and force OT (face it, we were playing for 3 to go to OT).

I don't think it would matter, it's not like we were moving the ball and just ran out of time, we couldn't even get one first down.

Sure would have been nice to have a spy on pryor for that 4th and 10 play....

You don't have to change the whole system but a tweak like that could have iced the game.

Anytime we face a mobile QB we should have a spy on them. Persa, D. Robinson, Pryor should have had a player assigned to them every snap.

At times it seems like our players are so trained to focus on covering thier patch of ground it seems like they are unaware of the whole picture like a scrambling QB or Punter.

Anytime we face a mobile QB we should have a spy on them. Persa, D. Robinson, Pryor should have had a player assigned to them every snap.

At times it seems like our players are so trained to focus on covering thier patch of ground it seems like they are unaware of the whole picture like a scrambling QB or Punter.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ohio State's intention the entire time was for him to scramble. That side of the field was desolate....

Not to call Morris out... it seemed like he was playing the role of spy for most of the game. I lost track of him on that particular play, so don't know for sure what his assignment was on that play.

BTW, Morris has had a helluva season! With his work ethic and mentality, he will only get better with more snaps.

No offense but fill me in on Eddie P's coaching/teaching resume. Norm has forgotten more football than Eddie has EVER known.

Also, the very fact that Eddie is such a die-hard Hawkeye is one of the very reasons why he's NOT necessarily one of the most objective sources. And, objectivity can also go the other way ... often an emotional response can be OVERLY critical.

Eddie enjoys good "street cred" because he's noted for not just being a blind homer. However, that just reflects the fact that he'll be critical of the program on occasion too.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if Ohio State's intention the entire time was for him to scramble. That side of the field was desolate....

Pryor himself said that he planned to run to get that fourth down conversion.

"I was going to run the whole time," Pryor said. "I found running room, had some good blocking. I just cut it up and went and got the first."

Ohio State Buckeyes vs. Iowa Hawkeyes - Recap - November 20, 2010 - ESPN

This is something we seriously need to address in the next year with our defensive scheme. I'm tired of allowing QB's to scramble all over the yard against us at their whim.

Pryor himself said that he planned to run to get that fourth down conversion.

"I was going to run the whole time," Pryor said. "I found running room, had some good blocking. I just cut it up and went and got the first."

Ohio State Buckeyes vs. Iowa Hawkeyes - Recap - November 20, 2010 - ESPN

This is something we seriously need to address in the next year with our defensive scheme. I'm tired of allowing QB's to scramble all over the yard against us at their whim.

Right, because that had everything to do with our scheeme and not the athletic abilities of Pryor... :rolleyes:

Right, because that had everything to do with our scheeme and not the athletic abilities of Pryor... :rolleyes:

Did you watch that play? Pryor didn't break 5 or 6 tackles to get the 12 yards, hell he didn't even get touched and ran out of bounds after 12 yards before he even had an Iowa defender ready to hit him. It was more about nobody being home for Iowa then any athletic ability to make that 4th down run.

I watched this entire play develop right in front of me from my seat in the North Endzone. He simply waited until the LB's and DB's cleared out down the field in coverage, then ran. There was NO ONE between Pryor and the sticks when decided to take off. He could have lightly jogged his way to the first down. That is a problem.

Latest posts