Eddy P. statements

Don't knock Fitz, backing out non-con play in 2006 when he was thrust into the job in unfortunate circumstances, he is only three wins behind Ferentz from B10 play through this week.

That can't be possible Ferentz is an icon and one of the highest paid coaches in football.

Stop the subtle O'Keefe bashing. He didn't have the weapons to score 25 a game. We've had injuries on the o-line and we lack experienced depth at tailback. It's a miracle we scored 17 on NU and 18 on IU with the injuries we've had.

With all due respect I was in no way KOK bashing, never even crossed my mind. IMHO, our OL, despite the injuries, has been one of the bright spots in the season. & despite the depth at tailback, we have 2 backs that can handle 25+ carries a game, EACH, if needed.

We have the best QB we have had in years. Possibly the best WR core at Iowa ever. An up & coming TE or two. A stout OL, and 2 stud RB's. 3 TD's & a FG a game over the last 4 games and we wouldn't have had the outcomes we did.

My point is, you can only bash the defense sooo much, when they spent a majority of the last few games on the field. Whether that is KF's fault, KOK's fault, or whoevers, I am not sure but our offense is at least equally to blame as the defense for this mediocre season.

(FOR EXAMPLE, how many points did we put up against MSU, or even in the UW game. 2 top 10 teams...and we can't create the same number of points against NW or IU).

I'm giving Pryor credit on that play. He made a play when it needed to be made most. We rushed 4 and had a chance to get him, and it didn't happen. In hindsight I thought maybe we should've tried blitzing to at least make him beat us throwing, but you obviously open yourself to man coverage against some of the most talented, athletically gifted WR's in the conference. Blitzing on that play also never occurred to me until after the play, so I won't complain re the defense. A spy is also a nice option, but I think you'd need to use a SS or your best tackling CB in a nickel-type situation - no way I'd take a chance w/ a LB to stay w/ Pryor. Also, using a spy you take someone out of coverage w/o making the QB deliver the ball quicker, so there's definitely a con to that, which could also be said for blitzing.

Keep in mind though, that 4th & 10 play was w/ ~2:45 left (I think). If OSU gives the ball up, they still have 3 TO's. And knowing the coaching philosophies re IA's offense, OSU likely gets the ball back w/ ~2:30 remaining. Maybe OSU could've driven the field and scored...maybe not.

Last edited:
After Mike Vick's big game last week, Steve Young,who along with Vick are the two best running qbs ever, commented on the whole ''Spy'' concept. He said QB's that can really run like himself or Vick(Pryor) love to see that being used against them. He says that any QB that can really run,knows that he can beat that guy one on one,and that just means he is playing 11 vs 10 on defense.

I agree with Young. A spy on Pryor would not have been able to catch him the whole game. As Young says, field balance is the only way to deal with guys like Vick or Pryor. A spy takes the defense out of field balance,and leaves too big a gaps for guys like vick/pryor to operate.
The only way to defend guys like that is to squeeze them down with numbers...not a single guy. On that play, Karl Klug took one step too many the wrong way on the backside,and so he let Pryor get to the edge...game over. You have to execute perfectly on a play like that vs a player like that.

After Mike Vick's big game last week, Steve Young,who along with Vick are the two best running qbs ever, commented on the whole ''Spy'' concept. He said QB's that can really run like himself or Vick(Pryor) love to see that being used against them. He says that any QB that can really run,knows that he can beat that guy one on one,and that just means he is playing 11 vs 10 on defense.

I agree with Young. A spy on Pryor would not have been able to catch him the whole game. As Young says, field balance is the only way to deal with guys like Vick or Pryor. A spy takes the defense out of field balance,and leaves too big a gaps for guys like vick/pryor to operate.
The only way to defend guys like that is to squeeze them down with numbers...not a single guy. On that play, Karl Klug took one step too many the wrong way on the backside,and so he let Pryor get to the edge...game over. You have to execute perfectly on a play like that vs a player like that.

Really well said and thanks for sharing Young's view.

It's all about the contain.

Is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that sometimes it feels like Iowa only has 8 players on the defense side of the ball late in the game but when we are on offense it feels like the other team has 15. I think you catch my drift.

Latest posts