East Lansing reporter claims to know divisions...

What I don't like about this is that if Michigan and Ohio State play at the end of the year then so will Nebraska and Penn State. This ruins our chances at the coveted Iowa/Nebraska Thanksgiving brawl and all the accompanying press and attention for our program this game would garner.

Not sure I agree although I prefer not having to play OSU every year, no question about it. The road does not go through Columbus more than half the time. They would come to your place the other half of the time. In years when you play them at home, you are better off being in their division than having to play them in the championship game on a neutral field.

You would rather be in their division than playing them for the championship? How does that make sense?

We will still play them at home half the time we play them and in this scenario we dont have to beat them and run the table to make the championship game. I would much rather take my chances in a one game scenario than playing them every year which would result in losses most of the time, which in turn would result in losing the tiebreaker and make winning the division extremely tough

We are MUCH better off being in a different division imo

What I don't like about this is that if Michigan and Ohio State play at the end of the year then so will Nebraska and Penn State. This ruins our chances at the coveted Iowa/Nebraska Thanksgiving brawl and all the accompanying press and attention for our program this game would garner.

yea, that stinks. I think the Big Ten caved to all the uproar in Michigan and Ohio. I agreed they should not move ''The Game'' but did not think they would play it last even with them in different divisions.

This would leave the following:
Possible back to back games with OSU and Michigan if they win their divisions...bad.
Last games of the year will be with crossovers? Iowa vs Purdue? That sucks.
Last game of the year will not be division rivals deciding the winner of the divisions like a Iowa -Neb game could..or a Michigan--MSU game could?

They yielded to OSU and Michigan,and PSU to give them the prime slots with the big TV exposure...disapointing.

I don't think those games will be at the end of the season because the Big Ten is not going to want to have those games back to back if each is on top of their division. I think the last weekend of the regular season will be intra-divisional games.

Okay, I have been pushing for splitting up the Indiana and Illinois schools. This is actually probably a better scenario.

We still have access to recruiting Indiana, and we get both schools from the state of Illinois.

Pretty wild for Wisky though. I expected for them to send one contiguous state with them toward the east.

I hate the idea of Purdue being our protected rival! :mad: However, I don't think it will happen.

I also agree with one of the other posters that when the 9 game schedule hits in a few years, the B10 goes to 2 protected rivals. Wisky/PSU? :D

I don't think those games will be at the end of the season because the Big Ten is not going to want to have those games back to back if each is on top of their division. I think the last weekend of the regular season will be intra-divisional games.

You may be right and I hope you are. I think it would be smarter to put that Penn State/Nebraska game earlier in the year for the same reasons they should put the Ohio State/Michigan game earlier.

If true, We couldn't ask for an easier road.

Sorry, but OSU has IU,Ill,and Purdue....bottom-feeders...now that is easy.
Iowa has Michigan(traditional power),NW(going for 3rd straight bowl),Neb(top 10 team and program),MSU(always among most talented teams in the league)....no, it could be much easier.

In fact if we switched divisions with OSU...PSU and Wisky are teams we own and would be our only tough games...now that is an easy road.
They have gilded the road for OSU to the title game every year.

I wouldn't mind the Purdue rivalry, fun to go there and they have good tailgating spots, fairly nice stadium. Not a fan of hearing the train horn every 5 mins though...

Usually plenty o' tickets available at ol' Ross Aide.
I remember watching an Iowa/Purdue contest a few years back when both teams were ranked. Ross wasn't even close to being sold out. I thought that was pretty pathetic...lost a little respect for the Fighting Mustaches that day.

From the jNW board:

The divisions have been agreed upon and will be announced later today or tomorrow. It breaks down as follows:

Michigan
Michigan State
Nebraska
Iowa
Minnesota
Northwestern

Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin
Purdue
Indiana
Illinois

The game between Michigan and Ohio State will remain intact despite the fact each team now plays in a different division of the conference. This game falls under the "protected rivalry" category, and will be contested on the final Saturday of the regular season. Potentially, Michigan and Ohio State could play in back to back weeks if both teams win their respective divisions.

2 other "protected rivalry" games are known at this time:

Iowa vs. Wisconsin
Northwestern vs. Illinois

That leaves 6 teams without a slam dunk rivalry, so to speak. The speculation is it will end up as follows:

Nebraska vs. Penn State
Michigan State vs. Purdue
Minnesota vs. Indiana

WildcatReport.com - Message Boards

Going to wait for the official announcement tonight, but it seems the Big Ten is hellbent on making some god awful decisions with this.

Sorry, but OSU has IU,Ill,and Purdue....bottom-feeders...now that is easy.
Iowa has Michigan(traditional power),NW(going for 3rd straight bowl),Neb(top 10 team and program),MSU(always among most talented teams in the league)....no, it could be much easier.

In fact if we switched divisions with OSU...PSU and Wisky are teams we own and would be our only tough games...now that is an easy road.
They have gilded the road for OSU to the title game every year.

I was speaking of the scenarios being discussed.

Obviously it would be easier if we were in a division with Minnesota, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, and Northwestern

In this article they mention the B10 might go to the B12, SEC style schedule for basketball. This works out great for us too. We only have to play OSU, Illinois, Purdue and Indiana once and would get Nebraska, Northwestern, Minnesota, Michigan twice every year.

I saw that too. :D

From the jNW board:

The divisions have been agreed upon and will be announced later today or tomorrow. It breaks down as follows:

Michigan
Michigan State
Nebraska
Iowa
Minnesota
Northwestern

Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin
Purdue
Indiana
Illinois

The game between Michigan and Ohio State will remain intact despite the fact each team now plays in a different division of the conference. This game falls under the "protected rivalry" category, and will be contested on the final Saturday of the regular season. Potentially, Michigan and Ohio State could play in back to back weeks if both teams win their respective divisions.

2 other "protected rivalry" games are known at this time:

Iowa vs. Wisconsin
Northwestern vs. Illinois

That leaves 6 teams without a slam dunk rivalry, so to speak. The speculation is it will end up as follows:

Nebraska vs. Penn State
Michigan State vs. Purdue
Minnesota vs. Indiana

WildcatReport.com - Message Boards

I find it very hard to believe that Iowa vs Wisky will trump Minn vs Wisky

Latest posts