East Lansing reporter claims to know divisions...

I've heard the same things. But the protected games leave a little to desire since it is being reported that:

OSU/UM
Nebraska/Penn St.
Iowa/Purdue
Wisconsin/Minnesota
Illinois/NW
Indiana/MSU

are the protected games.

As long as Iowa isn't in a division with tOSU it's a win for us!
Not THAT big of a win since I consider the annual goal to get to the Rose Bowl - and any way you slice it, most years that road goes through Columbus in some way shape or form.

I don't get the Iowa Purdue protected game, but I think it helps our chances to win the conference. While Michigan and Nebraska will have to play OSU and Penn St every year, we will get a much easier game against Purdue.

Not THAT big of a win since I consider the annual goal to get to the Rose Bowl - and any way you slice it, most years that road goes through Columbus in some way shape or form.

The road to the Rose Bowl 90% of the time will go through OSU but under this scenario some years it would be on a neutral field rather than in Columbus....thats a plus

Last edited:

You are true in some respects however getting to the Rose Bowl will now require getting to and winning the conference title game and I think Iowa's chances of getting to the title game are much better on the other side from tOSU.

I've heard the same things. But the protected games leave a little to desire since it is being reported that:

OSU/UM
Nebraska/Penn St.
Iowa/Purdue
Wisconsin/Minnesota
Illinois/NW
Indiana/MSU

are the protected games.

Its the same end result for Iowa. If Minny went East with Wisky we would be protected with Minny and still wouldnt play Wisky every year. If true, and Minny stays West then we dont really have a true rival in the other division other than Wisky and thats a non-starter because their rivalry with Minn trumps our rivalry with them.

This is one of the best scenarios we couldve hoped for imo

OSU/UM
Nebraska/Penn St.
Iowa/Purdue
Wisconsin/Minnesota
Illinois/NW
Indiana/MSU

are the protected games.
These are the games I thought would be protected, especially after the Iowa/Purdue rumor this morning. It also shows the BigTen wanting to manufacture a "prime-time" rivalry game between PSU/Nebraska.

A very winnable division for Iowa, especially if total BT record would be used as tie-breaker.

For reference on "balance":

Big Ten Division Creator v2.1 | TheoryNine

You are true in some respects however getting to the Rose Bowl will now require getting to and winning the conference title game and I think Iowa's chances of getting to the title game are much better on the other side from tOSU.
The road to the Rose Bowl 90% of the time will go through OSU but under this scenario some years it would be on a neutral field rather than in Columbus....thats a plus
Good points.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind the Purdue rivalry, fun to go there and they have good tailgating spots, fairly nice stadium. Not a fan of hearing the train horn every 5 mins though...

..Plus I bet they go to 2 protected games once the schedule expands to 9 conference games so Wisc would then be a protected game in the future as alvarez even eluded to the fact that Iowa and Wisc rivalry might not be every year at first but very well may be in future again.

Good points.

Not sure I agree although I prefer not having to play OSU every year, no question about it. The road does not go through Columbus more than half the time. They would come to your place the other half of the time. In years when you play them at home, you are better off being in their division than having to play them in the championship game on a neutral field.

Personally, I am not a fan of playing Purdue every year, they just give us fits.

If this holds, Minny dodged a bullet...they were looking at being in the East,with Iowa as a crossover.

..Plus I bet they go to 2 protected games once the schedule expands to 9 conference games so Wisc would then be a protected game in the future as alvarez even eluded to the fact that Iowa and Wisc rivalry might not be every year at first but very well may be in future again.

If this happens then imo Iowa got everything we wanted in the divisional alignment (assuming this is true of course)

I would like to play PSU every year but missing them and OSU from time to time isnt really a bad thing

Latest posts