Dukie V ranks IOWA HAWKEYE #24 in preseason poll

Per usual, Clic was embarrassingly incorrect. Par for the course as Clown fans like Clic have very little basketball knowledge. In stark contrast, great point by Benddontbreak.

ISU allowed 74.4 PPG
Iowa allowed 70.3 PPG

Iowa allowed 41.5 FG%
ISU allowed 42% FG%

Iowa allowed 10.9 offensive RPG
ISU allowed 11.2 offensive RPG

Iowa allowed 31.7 3pt %
ISU allowed 34.1 3 pt %

Iowa allowed .99 points per possession
ISU allowed 1.02 points per possession

In almost every imaginable defensive statistic Iowa as just slightly better than ISU.

ISU was 11-2 in games decided by 2 possessions or fewer, or that went to OT.
Iowa was 2-9 in games decided by 2 possessions or fewer, or that went to OT.

Can ISU possibly be that good again this year, and can Iowa possibly be that bad again?

This difference in closing games stands out not just between the two schools, but also between ISU in 2013-2014 vs. 2012-2013. Speed of play also changed, as ISU had almost 2 possessions per game more in 2013-2014 http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/possessions-per-game. Note how Iowa's possessions per game tailed off at the end of the season dramatically. While some decline is expected with tournament games as average strength of competitors increases, Iowa's went down almost 10 per game. Strength of schedule also differed http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/sos and will have impact on defensive efficiency numbers.

Last edited:
Can ISU possibly be that good again this year, and can Iowa possibly be that bad again?

Probably not, which is why ISU will probably have a worse record than some thing and why Iowa will probably be better than some think including me. However Iowa has a pretty bad record in close games extending back beyond just last season. It's a weird think.

Prior to the last 10 games of the season Iowa had one of the best statistical defenses in the country. That said ISU's defense wasn't great, merely passable.

Defensive efficency for ISU they were 72nd, at 99.9 points per 100. Iowa was 120th at 102.7 per 100. That was an unbelievable drop though because at one point I thought Iowa was at like 95 per 100. Either way the actual raw numbers do show that ISU did allow fewer points per possession.

http://kenpom.com/index.php?s=RankAdjDE

Per usual, Clic was embarrassingly incorrect. Par for the course as Clown fans like Clic have very little basketball knowledge. In stark contrast, great point by Benddontbreak.

ISU allowed 74.4 PPG
Iowa allowed 70.3 PPG

Iowa allowed 41.5 FG%
ISU allowed 42% FG%

Iowa allowed 31.7 3pt %
ISU allowed 34.1 3 pt %

In almost every imaginable defensive statistic Iowa as just slightly better than ISU.

You can't compare statistics on a per game basis lol...

Iowa had no trouble scoring til the last min against good teams. Defense was an issue the last 8 games.

Shooting is still a major concern of me regarding the Hawks. Nobody could make a shot when they needed to. Case in point the Iowa State game last year. Same deal two years ago. This will continue to be a major reason the Hawkeyes can't close a game. I will be a believer when I see it

ISU allowed 74.4 PPG
Iowa allowed 70.3 PPG

Iowa allowed 41.5 FG%
ISU allowed 42% FG%

Iowa allowed 31.7 3pt %
ISU allowed 34.1 3 pt %

I think most people agreed the teams were similar in talent....ISU just had closers. Iowa didn't.

I think most people agreed the teams were similar in talent....ISU just had closers. Iowa didn't.

You might find 1 in 100 ISU fans that would actually think this. As a matter of fact, why don't you post this viewpoint on CF and see all the wolves come a running to savage you. If a Hawk fan posted this on there, they would be banned immediately.

and the corollary of vogs being wrong...

I think ISU will have a very good team again this year. I don't know if they will be 3 seed good again, but they should be a quality team.

So far Iowa is 3-4 in 2 possession games (better than last year), ISU is 6-3 (Worse than last year). Looks like I was WAAAAAAYYYYYYY more accurate than Dukie V.

Shooting is still a major concern of me regarding the Hawks. Nobody could make a shot when they needed to. Case in point the Iowa State game last year. Same deal two years ago. This will continue to be a major reason the Hawkeyes can't close a game. I will be a believer when I see it

^^^^^^^ in a nutshell. It's really this simple. I would love to see the difference in shooting % between the wins and losses. It's been 43% and 32% in the last 2 losses. It was over 60% in the previous 2 wins. While continuing 60% is unrealistic, and turnovers were the bigger story against minny, if Iowa could consistently get around 45-50% in non 3pt fg %....corner would be turned.

Latest posts