Drop UNI!

GodGodGodBathia

And Iowa State while we're at it. Can anyone on this forum provide a convincing argument for why we continue to play these cupcakes year after year with nothing to gain and everything to lose? We've seen the age old saying play out in the past as both teams treat the Iowa game like the Super Bowl and rope Iowa into a close game and sometimes even win. And when we do win, why does it matter? A non-conference win over a mediocre Iowa State team at best and an irrelevant FCS team? Fill the schedule with more Arizonas, Notre Dames, Cincinnatis, Texas A&Ms, or whoever else that can actually garner some interest.

I'm just as excited for football season as anyone else but it's pretty hard to leave my recliner and 70 inch plasma for UNI at 11am.

I hear you.

Another point of view takes butts in seats and a more likely win and keeping the cash in state.

I have a hard time leaving my recliner.....

Actually, I enjoy playing the intrastate games, Get's a lot of fire and trash talk going. If we can't beat these guys on a consistent basis, do you think losing to any of the ones you listed is any better?

I guess you love the Pitt and Arizona games? Pitt was as cheap a ticket as Louisiana Monroe. Hell, UNI is a better draw than Pitt.

I hear ya loud and clear.... In todays world it's only leaning more and more to it not being a good idea to play them. Certainly not both. That said UNI is going to be a stronger test then ISU this yr. They really are a solid group. But that doesn't matter because nobody outside Iowas borders that don't keep up with FCS level ball knows a thing about them or would respect how good they are. And that is what matters. With a final 4 system it's only going to put more and more pressure for coaches to schedule tougher more meaningful games in the non conference. The first team (probably this year) to be the 5th team on the outside looking in because they had cupcakes for a schedule over say a 1 loss team with tougher one will have their fan bases revolting. And I dunno about all of you but along with winning the BIG getting into that final 4 should be the main goal. So here on out scheduling is going to mean more then ever.

Back to your original question. Playing ISU does nothing for me as a rivalry anymore. It did used to. But it really just doesn't do anything for me anymore. After last year it was just a relief that we won. It may not be that way for the players and coaches though.. I dunno maybe with Mr Pwroud trying to stir the pot on signing day he was trying to add some life to it. I just wasn't fired up at all really. I mean I wanted to kill them but beating NW Michigan and Nebby all meant way more. I for one won't miss playing them if they drop em.

I hate the UNI and Iowa State games, too. Absolutely nothing to gain -- except kicking some scratch to the little sisters of the poor -- and everything to lose. I resent the Farm Bureau, Hy-Vee, the Regents, and all other corporate and other interests who strong-arm Iowa into continuing these sorry-*** games.

Our strength of schedule would almost automatically go up if allowed to fill those non-conference dates with better (and more interesting) teams.

Given Ferentz's record against the MAC, I'm struggling to come up with a good replacement for Iowa State. UNI will drop out soon due to the B1G's new scheduling rule.

I'd like to see a 4 year series with Missouri State myself. I did work in Springfield a while back. I think exposure there could help recruiting in Springfield and KC.

Not sure if serious...

iowa should absolutely drop isu and uni. i bet he is serious about mo state - why not? heck of a lot more potential recruits in missouri than iowa. iowa needs exposure as a result of these pre season games. some state to the south or the east.

I like the ISU game and want that to continue forever.

I like the UNI game, but would prefer they just make it an official exhibition game that does not count. Possibly even play it in the spring instead of the spring intrasquad game.

Then have 12 real games every year, all against P5 teams.

ISU and Northern Iowa do nothing for Iowa as football goes. If Iowa wins, it's no big deal because they are supposed to win. It's about keeping the money in the state and the fans. UNI gets a game in a big stadium and the money stays home. Iowa State while we many of us may not like it is the biggest draw of the year. I have never been to Ames but in Iowa City it's standing room only during a ISU/Iowa game.

This year I think the Northern Iowa game may be more of a challenge than the Iowa State game. Iowa State's offense which sputtered and coughed last year is going to be a bit better but their defense looks to be even worse than last years mediocre effort.

Every year I say the same thing.....ISU, UNI.....do nothing for us. The only teams that benefit in these games are ISU and UNI (Win or Lose). If they win, it makes them look better. If they lose, they still rack in the in-game profits and they get exposure for their programs within the state.

The only thing Iowa really gets out of the deal is another probable couple of wins to highly likely wins in at least one of the games or both (on average) that does nothing for us nationally for exposure, but makes us look terrible nationally if we fall to one or both of them teams.

UNI and ISU need the Iowa game more than we need them. Much more than we need them. UNI is decent as an FCS program, but Iowa should never lose to them (especially at Kinnick). It just really does not add up playing them. I'm sure UNI will be very motivated to play us this year with how close they have been in the last couple of meetings (which I blame partially on our style of play), but Iowa should not ever lose to them at home.

ISU is so poor to mediocre year to year, that they are never taken seriously nationally on a consistent basis and really does not make much sense to keep playing them.

Unfortunately, ISU was able to take a short-term advantage of a down Iowa program at the end of Fry's tenure and the early Ferentz years (and some years mixed in here and there) in conjunction with the style of play that Ferentz deploys in keeping games close (which have kept poorer teams like ISU, even recently UNI in games). I think this only helped to keep the flame burning for keeping these in-state games. However, and sadly that probably would have still not stopped ISU from keeping this game going....even if Iowa had continued to keep curb stomping them well past the 15 game streak during the Hayden years because of all the AG-clone supporters crying foul if the game could not continue.

The U of I would be smart to look to play teams on Iowa's average competitive level from year to year, or schedule up a non-conference blue blood from time to time. The PR department at Iowa just needs to take a stronger stance on this series when it comes time to renew or not renew it.

I honestly don't know why we keep giving in to feeding into traditional 2nd and 3rd fiddles in our own backyard. You don't see OSU always giving in to playing Ohio on a yearly basis.

Last edited:
Every year I say the same thing.....ISU, UNI.....do nothing for us. The only teams that benefit in these games are ISU and UNI (Win or Lose). If they win, it makes them look better. If they lose, they still rack in the in-game profits and they get exposure for their programs within the state.

The only thing Iowa really gets out of the deal is another probable couple of wins to highly likely wins in at least one of the games or both (on average) that does nothing for us nationally for exposure, but makes us look terrible nationally if we fall to one or both of them teams.

UNI and ISU need the Iowa game more than we need them. Much more than we need them. UNI is decent as an FCS program, but Iowa should never lose to them (especially at Kinnick). It just really does not add up playing them. ISU is so poor to mediocre year to year, that they are never taken seriously nationally on a consistent basis and really does not make much sense to keep playing them.

Unfortunately, ISU was able to take a short-term advantage of a down Iowa program at the end of Fry's tenure and the early Ferentz years in conjunction with the style of play that Ferentz deploys in keeping games close (which have kept poorer teams like ISU, even recently UNI in games). I think this only helped to keep the flame burning for keeping these in-state games. However, and sadly that probably would have still not stopped ISU from keeping this game going....even if Iowa had continued to keep curb stomping them well past the 15 game streak during the Hayden years because of all the AG-clone supporters crying foul if the game could not continue.

The U of I would be smart to look to play teams on Iowa's average competitive level from year to year, or schedule up a non-conference blue blood from time to time. The PR department at Iowa just needs to take a stronger stance on this series when it comes time to renew or not renew it.

I honestly don't know why we keep giving in to feeding into traditional 2nd and 3rd fiddles in our own backyard. You don't see OSU always giving in to playing Ohio on a yearly basis.

Latest posts