Drop UNI!

I'm not sure if you want to continue the ISU series by your post, but I want to seriously know why....if you are a Iowa fan (which you are) and other other Iowa fans like about keeping this series is going.

Is it:

A. Tradition
B. Because you like playing the other state school
C. Keeping money in state
D. All of the above

Personally I think we could make enough money bringing in another blue blood program to play at Kinnick (in a home, away series) to offset the ISU revenue. Best part is that ISU losses money by not playing us. That is better for our program. Don't help the weaker programs in the state.

As far as liking to play them (not sure understand it in typically beating up on the little guy...yes little guy has won from time to time) but I'm sure it would be just as fun to play Oregon and watch that game and get national exposure from it.

You win the game...great you beat the 2nd fiddle no one cares about outside of the state unless you lose the game.

Playing teams like Ball St and Missouri St at least gets other kids from other states watching an Iowa game. They would be more beneficial for recruiting purposes and getting foot holds in other states. Playing ISU just has other Iowa kids watching the game which does not add as much value. Personally I think it would be more exciting for our in-state recruits to be watching pre-season games knowing that Iowa is willing to play some blue blood programs nationally over the ag-bowl, also ran, cy-hawk series in the state. Add this to the make over of making the game day experience better at Kinnick.....get some pre-season name brand teams into Kinnick! ISU and UNI are boring (on face value).

All do respect to UNI as they are a decent FCS and may even give us another good game this year. But we should not be playing FCS teams.

It has nothing to do with being afraid to play them....it just does not benefit us anymore.

Could not agree more with this.... The landscape has changed in the last 20 years. It was different when Ferentz first took over even. The college game has a bigger picture to it now and Iowa playing ISU isn't a blip on the national scene. And as far as what goals I feel Iowa should have going into a year are I think winning the BIG and getting a seat at the final 4 (for now till it expands) is what they should be. Playing ISU does little to nothing to help with reaching those goals compared to what other schools they could play would. Iowa needs to branch out. I'm not a fan of going west if for no other reason then the bad taste in my mouth having played in the state of AZ has left me. But there are plenty of schools to the east, south and SE to play.

i don't want to do *necessarily* a high profile FBS school. what iowa needs is rather to play in states that they recruit in. playing iowa state or uni doesn't do anything for our exposure to potential recruits in a geographic area we recruit in, outside of our big10 footprint.

we are scheduled to play with the 'mean green' (north texas) in the future? i love that idea.

wyoming is also on our schedule in the future? i do not like that.

Agree with you completely. Iowa does a lot of recruiting within Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida & Texas but with the new divisional assignments, Iowa may only play games within these states once every couple of years (counting bowl games). If we are expecting players within these states to pick Iowa in recruiting, then Iowa needs to play in those states to try to create some buzz or at least a little recognition.

I don't think Iowa has to schedule national powers, but having games at Cincinnati, Pitt, SMU, TCU, Houston, South Florida, Central Florida, etc. will at least give Iowa a chance to show players from those states that they will at least get to play in front of their hometown friends and families a couple of times during their careers.

Agree with you completely. Iowa does a lot of recruiting within Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida & Texas but with the new divisional assignments, Iowa may only play games within these states once every couple of years (counting bowl games). If we are expecting players within these states to pick Iowa in recruiting, then Iowa needs to play in those states to try to create some buzz or at least a little recognition.

I don't think Iowa has to schedule national powers, but having games at Cincinnati, Pitt, SMU, TCU, Houston, South Florida, Central Florida, etc. will at least give Iowa a chance to show players from those states that they will at least get to play in front of their hometown friends and families a couple of times during their careers.

couldn't have said it better myself! so i'm glad you did!

dump isu and play the florida or texas teams you mention.

and no i don't want to have anything to do with missouri given how they dumped iowa and put them in a scheduling bind a few years back. mo. state suffices to get attention of missouri players/coaches, etc.

The only way ISU drops off the schedule is if the B1G goes to a 10-game conference schedule, which Ferentz kinda sorta talked about happening at B1G media days this week. Seeing as how Kirk (by design) never says anything real interesting, that comment was kind of interesting.

A 10-game league schedule wouldn't give Iowa (or anyone else in the league) any flexibility at all when it comes to non-con scheduling. In that scenario, Iowa would most certainly drop the Iowa State game.

Sign me up for the 10 game conference schedule and dumping the ISU game.

With 10 conference games Iowa can play everyone in the west (6 games), 1 protected crossover and a rotation of 3 of the other 6 every 2 years (3 at a time for a home and home). This allows us to see all teams within 3-4 years. Then play 2 home non cons against the MAC, Sun Belt, etc to round out the 12 games. Good to go.

Cannot happen soon enough as far as I am concerned.

Sign me up for the 10 game conference schedule and dumping the ISU game.

With 10 conference games Iowa can play everyone in the west (6 games), 1 protected crossover and a rotation of 3 of the other 6 every 2 years (3 at a time for a home and home). This allows us to see all teams within 3-4 years. Then play 2 home non cons against the MAC, Sun Belt, etc to round out the 12 games. Good to go.

Cannot happen soon enough as far as I am concerned.

We'll see. AD's will only see that extra game as another opportunity to fill the stadium, so if I was a betting man I would also bet that a 10 game conference schedule would be accompanied by adding a 13th game to the season. It'll happen at some point.

We'll see. AD's will only see that extra game as another opportunity to fill the stadium, so if I was a betting man I would also bet that a 10 game conference schedule would be accompanied by adding a 13th game to the season. It'll happen at some point.

No reason to add a 13th game to go to a 10 game conference schedule. The greed factor is some teams will want 3 home non con games like OSU often does giving them 8 instead of 7. This is another reason Iowa is stupid to play ISU at Ames giving up a potential 8th home date for nothing.

Adding the 13th game is going to be dicey given player injury risk. This will only fuel the paying players debate. This also means several teams in the title game would play16 times.

As long as D1 schools are going to play FCS schools as a beginning of the season tune-up, Iowa might as well keep playing Missouri Valley Football Conference schools. My concern is that the opposing teams be able to make a decent game out of it. Teams like Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, North Dakota State, and to a lesser extent Illinois State, and South Dakota State seem to fit the bill. Others haven’t been good a football recently, Missouri State, Western Illinois, South Dakota.

University of Northern Illinois is probably Iowa’s most important OOC rival, considering Northern Illinois has historically been prime recruiting ground. I don’t have any problem with saturating the state of Illinois with Iowa games. OOC games in the States of Michigan and Ohio become more important now that Iowa plays Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State less frequently. Some of the better MAC teams from Michigan & Ohio fit into that.

The whole Iowa vs. Iowa State rivalry gets a little stale but that is another matter.

As long as D1 schools are going to play FCS schools as a beginning of the season tune-up, Iowa might as well keep playing Missouri Valley Football Conference schools. My concern is that the opposing teams be able to make a decent game out of it. Teams like Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, North Dakota State, and to a lesser extent Illinois State, and South Dakota State seem to fit the bill. Others haven’t been good a football recently, Missouri State, Western Illinois, South Dakota.

You realize Iowa will not continue to play FCS schools? The B1G has mandated that this will not be done going forward but has allowed for games already scheduled like this one with UNI to be completed. I think contractually we have another 1 or 2 left with North Dakota and someone else but there will be no more scheduled beyond these. It is a moot point for the B1G.

You realize Iowa will not continue to play FCS schools? The B1G has mandated that this will not be done going forward but has allowed for games already scheduled like this one with UNI to be completed. I think contractually we have another 1 or 2 left with North Dakota and someone else but there will be no more scheduled beyond these. It is a moot point for the B1G.

Did they finally mandated it or was it strongly suggested?

Last edited:
Did they finally mandated it or was it strongly suggested.

There are multiple articles and reports on it. I used mandate but it was reported that B1G officials have reached an agreement to no longer schedule FCS teams. All games will be against D-I opponents. That is a mandate in my book. I believe the godfather Delaney has also reiterated this publicly.

Now games already scheduled like our game with UNI, North Dakota and maybe one other are grandfathered in but after this no more.

Could this change someday down the road? Maybe but I would not count on it anytime soon.

I don't mind playing Iowa State, as if keeps money in the state.
To me, the game is barely a blip on my RADAR, as to how much I care about this game.
A B1G game means more to me, than this annual game.
Gosh, I'm starting to sounds like Ferentz in approaching this game.

It would be nice to have some better home-away series.
I live in Nashville, TN, and Pittsburgh is 9 hours away, and with a Pirates home game that night, this looks like a nice weekend trip.

Barta wants it that Iowa always has 9 home games every season.
When Iowa plays at Ames, you'll see 3 OOC tomato cans roll into Kinnick.

I don't mind playing Iowa State, as if keeps money in the state.

I always hear this comment as one of two justifications for playing this game but has anyone put pencil to paper on it?

We make 3-4 million per home game on ticket sales and payout 1 million for a body bag opponent netting 2-3 million. Then do that 2 years in a row that is 4-6 million. Now if we make the 3-4 million one year but nothing the next to travel to Ames that could be a net loss over the home and away meetings. I am not sure what ISU makes but I am guessing it is less but the same is true that they probably suffer a net loss by traveling over to meet us. So if both teams held a home game in place of this game would this not technically keep more money in the state?

I am probably missing something but this party line does not add up to me?

I had not looked out far enough but then this is the group for us that is grandfathered in. This will be it unless the agreement changes but I do not see that.

Yes, I understand. I know Berry Alverez and some of the other big boys were pushing hard on this. The team most vocally against it was Indiana. I think Iowa was like, we'll see. Iowa made damn well sure it had it's games planned well ahead.

Iowa was happy to see the rise of Northern Illinois and started going local more after playing the likes of Louisiana-Monroe, Florida-International, and Arkansas State. Now those game really do nothing for Iowa. What you're going to end up doing is playing more lower third MAC teams like Miami(Ohio), Kent state, Eastern Michigan. You get a certain amount of that already but you're going to see more.

Yes, I understand. I know Berry Alverez and some of the other big boys were pushing hard on this. The team most vocally against it was Indiana. I think Iowa was like, we'll see. Iowa made damn well sure it had it's games planned well ahead.

Iowa was happy to see the rise of Northern Illinois and started going local more after playing the likes of Louisiana-Monroe, Florida-International, and Arkansas State. Now those game really do nothing for Iowa. What you're going to end up doing is playing more lower third MAC teams like Miami(Ohio), Kent state, Eastern Michigan. You get a certain amount of that already but you're going to see more.

LOL on Indiana football complaining about the no more FCS scheduling. I'm sure that out cry went a long way in the B1G offices and Delaney.

With a 9 game conference schedule and the forced ISU game that makes 10 power 5 opponents so we will never have more than 2 MAC or similar opponents in a season when 9 kicks in.

LOL on Indiana football complaining about the no more FCS scheduling. I'm sure that out cry went a long way in the B1G offices and Delaney.

With a 9 game conference schedule and the forced ISU game that makes 10 power 5 opponents so we will never have more than 2 MAC or similar opponents in a season when 9 kicks in.

That's what I mean be "We'll see". Iowa might be fine. Having Iowa State every year actually solves some scheduling problems. They can get an eastern team like Pitt or Syracuse every once in a while. Than there are the MAC teams. Don't get your hopes up for teams west of the Rocky's or from the deep south, I'm pretty sure Kirk considers the far away home-at-home games to be an unneeded distraction.

Latest posts