Drop UNI!

at least ISU is a BCS school in a major conference. No more FCS schools.

But I get a feeling the NCAA encourages those, it puts a lot of $ into the visitor's bank. Program-changing money. And you can bet that state legislators like it when that money stays in-state. (thus UNI)

Every time I read one of these posts I am embarrassed that you are an Iowa fan. I hope that you don't wear Iowa shirts in public because I don't want people to think that all Iowa fans are clueless idiots.

First, you call them "Cupcakes." If you are saying that they should play only great teams, then why aren't you crying about teams like Ball State and Missouri State? I've never seen any of you people post one of those. You DO NOT care about "Cupcakes." You just don't want to lose. Stop lying.

If ISU and UNI beat Iowa, that's an Iowa problem because we can't beat them. Super bowl? Shut up!!!!! If you are the better team you will win. Period.

I love the Hawkeyes more than is healthy. But when I see people who ***** about playing "Cupcakes" because they are afraid that those cupcakes will beat us...Dear God...please don't tell anyone that you are Hawkeye fans. I don't want people to think I'm like you.

For the same reason(s) Ohio State (BCS era) plays Cincinnati, Youngstown State, Miami (OH), Akron, Toledo, Ohio, Kent.

#1--easy win
#2--in-state buzz for a week
#3--keeps money in state

No worries everyone...this will quickly work itself out as playoff-SoS becomes paramount over meaningless wins.

ISU isn't a bad matchup. I'll never disagree with playing them. I'm probably in the minority, but it's a rivalry which has to continue.

Can't say the same for UNI. Should never again have UNI on the schedule.

Every time I read one of these posts I am embarrassed that you are an Iowa fan. I hope that you don't wear Iowa shirts in public because I don't want people to think that all Iowa fans are clueless idiots.

First, you call them "Cupcakes." If you are saying that they should play only great teams, then why aren't you crying about teams like Ball State and Missouri State? I've never seen any of you people post one of those. You DO NOT care about "Cupcakes." You just don't want to lose. Stop lying.

If ISU and UNI beat Iowa, that's an Iowa problem because we can't beat them. Super bowl? Shut up!!!!! If you are the better team you will win. Period.

I love the Hawkeyes more than is healthy. But when I see people who ***** about playing "Cupcakes" because they are afraid that those cupcakes will beat us...Dear God...please don't tell anyone that you are Hawkeye fans. I don't want people to think I'm like you.

Simple questions here:

1) What does Iowa gain by playing this game, win or lose?

2) What does Iowa stand to lose playing this game, again win or lose?

ISU keep it... in-state rivalry, FBS school... etc...
UNI drop it... FCS, egg on face if lose etc...

I am all for dropping UNI and see absolutely no benefit to playing them (except UNI gets a nice pay day) ... As for ISU ... well ... that game is not going anywhere ... And I can't call them a "cupcake" considering they have beat us plenty of times in the past 15 years ... I would love to see us get a game with a high-profile program ... sort of like Wisky playing LSU .. Minny meeting up with USC in the past ... Pittsburgh? Well. Not really a high-profile matchup ... But then again, their fans probably say the same thing about playing Iowa.

I would much rather play ISU on a periodic basis like every 3-4 years. This would allow us to schedule another BCS team for a home and home which would be refreshing.

To be frank I am rival'd out with them. There is just nothing to look forward to with this game win or lose. We have so many rivals in on our own conference on our borders (4) adding the in-state to this is draining.

Let us of our own thing and they do theirs but I get the feeling they want this game because they have no other geographical games of interest. If it was every 3 or 4 years it might be more interesting.

My ultimate wish is to see us play 12 conference games and no non-con but that would short every one a home game in the B1G. I really enjoy the conference games the most.

Well I think UNI is better than Ball St, ISU, Purdue, Indiana, and Illinois. Which would make them are 7th toughest game this year. I can almost make a case for them being better than Pitt and Maryland. This is going to be a good game against a formidable foe. Quit whining.

I'm not sure if you want to continue the ISU series by your post, but I want to seriously know why....if you are a Iowa fan (which you are) and other other Iowa fans like about keeping this series is going.

Is it:

A. Tradition
B. Because you like playing the other state school
C. Keeping money in state
D. All of the above

Personally I think we could make enough money bringing in another blue blood program to play at Kinnick (in a home, away series) to offset the ISU revenue. Best part is that ISU losses money by not playing us. That is better for our program. Don't help the weaker programs in the state.

As far as liking to play them (not sure understand it in typically beating up on the little guy...yes little guy has won from time to time) but I'm sure it would be just as fun to play Oregon and watch that game and get national exposure from it.

You win the game...great you beat the 2nd fiddle no one cares about outside of the state unless you lose the game.

Playing teams like Ball St and Missouri St at least gets other kids from other states watching an Iowa game. They would be more beneficial for recruiting purposes and getting foot holds in other states. Playing ISU just has other Iowa kids watching the game which does not add as much value. Personally I think it would be more exciting for our in-state recruits to be watching pre-season games knowing that Iowa is willing to play some blue blood programs nationally over the ag-bowl, also ran, cy-hawk series in the state. Add this to the make over of making the game day experience better at Kinnick.....get some pre-season name brand teams into Kinnick! ISU and UNI are boring (on face value).

All do respect to UNI as they are a decent FCS and may even give us another good game this year. But we should not be playing FCS teams.

It has nothing to do with being afraid to play them....it just does not benefit us anymore.

Last edited:
For those who think another FBS school would do a home-and-home with us, face reality. Most want to do a 2-at-their-place-1-in-Iowa. Some will acquiesce to a neutral site...which is usually about six minutes from their campus.

The only way we get a high-profile FBS in the non-con is neutral site...and I highly doubt the sports admins are willing to do that without some serious up-front cash.

i don't want to do *necessarily* a high profile FBS school. what iowa needs is rather to play in states that they recruit in. playing iowa state or uni doesn't do anything for our exposure to potential recruits in a geographic area we recruit in, outside of our big10 footprint.

we are scheduled to play with the 'mean green' (north texas) in the future? i love that idea.

wyoming is also on our schedule in the future? i do not like that.

I think Missouri State is still a good choice, it is a border state in a good market that is not over saturated. I was thinking though mayb3e jsut a 3 year series.

Considering the actions of some of the Missouri players and many of the Missouri fans the last time Iowa played them regularly I would not fell it would be right to have them on the schedule now. The notorious Holbrook incident in-particular is not something that a sports team should be subjected to. In contrast the from what I know everything went well on and off the field in the Missouri State game.

Considering the actions of some of the Missouri players and many of the Missouri fans the last time Iowa played them regularly I would not fell it would be right to have them on the schedule now. The notorious Holbrook incident in-particular is not something that a sports team should be subjected to. In contrast the from what I know everything went well on and off the field in the Missouri State game.

Do tell

Latest posts