DREW COOK I.C. REGINA

If I'm not mistaken (please correct me if wrong) the guy is right around 200lbs. If you figure Doylizing adds 15-20lbs/yr he'll definitely be at least a 2 yr project to get him to the size he'll need to be for success.

Regardless... Welcome aboard young man!

I would take those listed weights with a grain of salt. Rivals listed Morris as 200 in HS and Kirksey as 195. Cook has another 1 1/2 years before he even gets to the field for Iowa as a Fr.

This is great news. Keep in mind Cook still had two years before he may be eligible to play. Assuming they RS him his first year. I don't think it will be a challenge for him to be at least up to 230 by then.

I would take those listed weights with a grain of salt. Rivals listed Morris as 200 in HS and Kirksey as 195. Cook has another 1 1/2 years before he even gets to the field for Iowa as a Fr.

Ermuhgawd! You're right. I don't know why; I just had a derp moment.

and Ed Hikel and Micah Hyde along with about 15 other great players in KF era.

Honestly, you might be underselling it here.

IIRC, didn't Nelson, Steinbach and Gallery all come to Iowa as tight ends? Bob Sanders was a RB, IIRC. Hyde, Hinkel, DJK, Greenway, Hitchens, Roth, DJK, McNutt, Clark. Didn't King and/or Kroul come in from different positions, too?

Don't forget Iowa's current left tackle played QB his junior year of high school then moved to TE and is now one of the best left tackles in all of college football.

I remember reading about Iowa likes HS QB's because they are usually the most athletic kids on the team.

I remember reading about Iowa likes HS QB's because they are usually the most athletic kids on the team.

This is most often true at smaller schools, where they want to make sure the best athlete always has the ball in his hands. Bigger schools don't always have to do that to get their best players the ball. Like Keokuk or Heelan a few years ago; Wegher and James Hurt were the best athletes on those teams, but they had Vandy and McCabe to play QB.

This is most often true at smaller schools, where they want to make sure the best athlete always has the ball in his hands. Bigger schools don't always have to do that to get their best players the ball. Like Keokuk or Heelan a few years ago; Wegher and James Hurt were the best athletes on those teams, but they had Vandy and McCabe to play QB.
Calling Hurt and Wegher the best athletes on their high school teams is more than a little bit of a stretch. James Hurt never saw any type of success or playing time at any level of college athletics, while Vandy was a 2 year starter in the B1G and spent about 2 weeks in an NFL camp. Say what you want to about McCabe, but he was a 4 year contributor at the B1G level, while Wegher currently toils away at Morningside after a career rushing total of about 600 yards while basically running behind an NFL offensive line during his one season here.

Calling Hurt and Wegher the best athletes on their high school teams is more than a little bit of a stretch. James Hurt never saw any type of success or playing time at any level of college athletics, while Vandy was a 2 year starter in the B1G and spent about 2 weeks in an NFL camp. Say what you want to about McCabe, but he was a 4 year contributor at the B1G level, while Wegher currently toils away at Morningside after a career rushing total of about 600 yards while basically running behind an NFL offensive line during his one season here.

Hurt was a better athlete than Vandy; the reason Vandy stuck and Hurt didn't was that Vandy played a position where athleticism doesn't come at as high of a premium. And Wegher didn't end up at Morningside for lack of talent.

We aren't talking about how certain guys' careers panned out in terms of production. We're talking about athleticism. Wegher and Hurt were absolutely better athletes than McCabe and Vandy.

Wegher had to go to a smaller school to make his dream of getting "every girl on campus pregnant" come true...

Latest posts