Draft Royce or Barnes?

RocknRollface

First off, neither one should be a lottery pick IMO, maybe at the very end.

That being said...

Do you take a guy who can't create his own shot, pretty much only shoots jump shots, and depends on others to set him up but is 6 '8.

Or, do you take a guy who can do everything but shoot jump shots, can get his own shot and is great at setting others up and has an almost unparalleled skill set for some one 6'8 270.

Its a hard question. They both have huge holes in their game IMO.

I would take Royce though, I think he has a higher ceiling. What he did when it was time to step up vs. what Barnes did is significant IMO and demonstrates not only more ability but more competitiveness. I also think it will be easier for Royce to develop a decent jump shot vs Barnes developing an nba style driving game when he cant even create his own shot in college.

Barnes will have a longer career but in the short term I would take Royce. He is much more aggressive right now. Barnes will develop into a solid NBA player and be around for a long time barring injuries.

I would take Barnes. Also, for those saying he shouldn't be a lottery pick, what 14 players would you have on your board ahead of him? JW

Barnes will have a longer career but in the short term I would take Royce. He is much more aggressive right now. Barnes will develop into a solid NBA player and be around for a long time barring injuries.

Thats the reason I would not take Barnes, he has shown no development, which is very strange IMO and is a bad sign.

i like royce's ability but my thought was put someone on him that could pressure him bringing the ball up the court and you will get turnovers. he will be solid but he isnt as strong all around as you need to be to sell me on taking him.

barnes has work to do. i feel like he is a poor man's paul pierce right now. i feel he will develop more and learn to create his shot more. remember the offense at unc wasnt tailored around him and he still got 17 a game. where as royce was obviously the center piece.

barnes is my pick because it has become a guards game. whether the 1, 2, or 3 they are guards and they are how you win. royce cant play that role in the nba. he is a 4 and will have guys that can guard him and pressure him down the court if he brings it up.

Barnes, and I don't even see this as debatable. Royce now has to go up against players bigger, stronger, faster. He passes very well and that's the one thing I see him do that I would consider elite at his size. Barnes, on the other hand, well, the NBA is ideal for his skillset. I think he will blossom into an eventual all-star. Good range, good penetrator. He's got a complete game. I thought he should go pro after last season. The game that stands out to me is the elite 8 game last season. Barnes runs off 9 straight points to bring Carolina back single-handedly. Then 3 straight possessions where he doesn't touch the ball. That's called Roy Williams fail. Roy is just below the greats. He's a great salesmen, but he cannot get the most out of his talent. This season, every time I tuned in, they looked like a discombobulated team. At times, flashes of outstanding play but zero consistency and players, like Barnes, looking confused as to what the gameplan or play was supposed to be.
Barnes will be fine at the next level. Royce however, will be up against the bangers of the NBA and I don't think that bodes well for him. Ask Marcus Fizer how that worked out. I thought Fizer had a better inside game than Royce too.

i like royce's ability but my thought was put someone on him that could pressure him bringing the ball up the court and you will get turnovers. he will be solid but he isnt as strong all around as you need to be to sell me on taking him.

barnes has work to do. i feel like he is a poor man's paul pierce right now. i feel he will develop more and learn to create his shot more. remember the offense at unc wasnt tailored around him and he still got 17 a game. where as royce was obviously the center piece.

barnes is my pick because it has become a guards game. whether the 1, 2, or 3 they are guards and they are how you win. royce cant play that role in the nba. he is a 4 and will have guys that can guard him and pressure him down the court if he brings it up.

Barnes played with a very good PG, hence the points. He looked terrible without one. Paul Pierce is in no way similar IMO. Getting towards the rim and manufacturing shots was always PPs strength. Barnes is about as far away from that as you can get.

As for Royce, obviously he isn't going to bring the ball up much in the NBA except for fast breaks. If you put a guard on him you've created two mismatches, one for Royce in the post and one for the guard who is being played by a big.

What you can do isolate him against other Pfs, he would have no trouble going by most 4s if they came out 15 feet to guard him. The problem of course is that they can just back up and make him shoot. If he could force them to respect his shot he would be a very tough matchup for most 4s.

Barnes, and I don't even see this as debatable. Royce now has to go up against players bigger, stronger, faster. He passes very well and that's the one thing I see him do that I would consider elite at his size. Barnes, on the other hand, well, the NBA is ideal for his skillset. I think he will blossom into an eventual all-star. Good range, good penetrator. He's got a complete game. I thought he should go pro after last season. The game that stands out to me is the elite 8 game last season. Barnes runs off 9 straight points to bring Carolina back single-handedly. Then 3 straight possessions where he doesn't touch the ball. That's called Roy Williams fail. Roy is just below the greats. He's a great salesmen, but he cannot get the most out of his talent. This season, every time I tuned in, they looked like a discombobulated team. At times, flashes of outstanding play but zero consistency and players, like Barnes, looking confused as to what the gameplan or play was supposed to be.
Barnes will be fine at the next level. Royce however, will be up against the bangers of the NBA and I don't think that bodes well for him. Ask Marcus Fizer how that worked out. I thought Fizer had a better inside game than Royce too.

Complete game? He is not a good penetrator at all. He is a spot up jump shooter almost exclusivly, he would need a good point guard to make him effective.

And you don't consider Whites balling handling elite for 270? Yes there are plenty of guys who can handle at 6'8 most of them are around 220. I can only think of one guy in the whole league who handles the ball at 6'8 270.

Royce will be a better pro. Consider an NBA Team with at least on player that is pass first. He will be welcomed by all teams.

Complete game? He is not a good penetrator at all. He is a spot up jump shooter almost exclusivly, he would need a good point guard to make him effective.

And you don't consider Whites balling handling elite for 270? Yes there are plenty of guys who can handle at 6'8 most of them are around 220. I can only think of one guy in the whole league who handles the ball at 6'8 270.

LeBron has great handles, regardless of his size. White has great handles for a guy his size. There's a big difference. Royce isn't a point forward in the NBA.

I would take Barnes. Also, for those saying he shouldn't be a lottery pick, what 14 players would you have on your board ahead of him? JW

Davis - Kentucky
Gatens
Sullinger
Shurna
Hummel
Brommer
Royce White
Zeller
Leonard
Burke (if he goes)
That guy from North Carolina
That guy from Duke
Mirkovich
Brandon Paul
Green from MSU

Davis - Kentucky
Gatens
Sullinger
Shurna
Hummel
Brommer
Royce White
Zeller
Leonard
Burke (if he goes)
That guy from North Carolina
That guy from Duke
Mirkovich
Brandon Paul
Green from MSU
Im an Iowa fan and all but that said.... Not sure if serious?

LeBron has great handles, regardless of his size. White has great handles for a guy his size. There's a big difference. Royce isn't a point forward in the NBA.

Oh, I agree with the first part, the two are not comparable at all, Lebron is the best athlete that has probably every lived, but im just pointing out how rare it is that anyone 270 can handle the ball.

Point forward is an abstract idea with no real relevance to the situation.

No one will run their offense through him instead of a point guard, but he can still handle the ball and pass extraordinarily well for his size and that is a great asset to his game and his team.

White. His game is more suited for today's NBA. Poor man's Blake Griffin.

In the NBA of 30 years ago, I would take Barnes.

Latest posts