Doug McDermott Comments On The Top Secret Scrimmage...

So those hundreds of millions of soccer fans the world over are suffering from some delusional type of sickness are they? I don't like soccer either but that's just because I wasn't raised on it and don't understand the nuances of strategy, team play, defense, scoring opportunities, etc.

My wife fell asleep during the BIG championship game last year between MSU and Wisconsin, a 42-39 thriller that came down to the last few plays. "How can you sleep with this game on?!!!" Her reply: "All they are doing is falling over each other and then lining up and doing it again. It's SOO boring."

You are like my wife, you just don't understand it.

Why do you come in here and bring up Wisky every single post. Nobody cares.

So those hundreds of millions of soccer fans the world over are suffering from some delusional type of sickness are they? I don't like soccer either but that's just because I wasn't raised on it and don't understand the nuances of strategy, team play, defense, scoring opportunities, etc.

My wife fell asleep during the BIG championship game last year between MSU and Wisconsin, a 42-39 thriller that came down to the last few plays. "How can you sleep with this game on?!!!" Her reply: "All they are doing is falling over each other and then lining up and doing it again. It's SOO boring."

You are like my wife, you just don't understand it.

Hey AB - how about Gasser tearing his ACL? LOLOLOL sucks 4 U!!

So I guess assistants can't have a big impact on a team, huh? How do you explain Lickliter falling flat on his face at Iowa and Butler not even skipping a beat?

The same way I can explain Nick Saban being mediocre at MSU and terrible at Miami but then being looked at as a God in Alabama. The same way I can explain Tim Floyd being amazing at Iowa State and sucking with the Bulls. The same way I can explain Bill Belicek being run out of Cleveland and now being a genius in New England. The same way I can explain Pete Carrol getting fired from the Patriots and then finding success at USC and now Seattle.

Sometimes it isn't just one particular factor but a confluence of factors that lead to success or failure and sometimes the difference is very thin. Did Kirk Ferentz all of a sudden become a terrible coach? No he didn't, he still has the skills and acumen.

8940829.jpg

LOLOL sure is, almost as funning as Brusewitz almost getting his leg cut off!! LOLOLOL

If you're looking to get a rise out of me, you'll be disappointed. Our coach is a tough Philly guy and he always says "No one here is going to have a pity party." I'm of the same mindset. We'll be ok and I look forward to the team rising to a tough challenge.

But you stay classy fella. My guess is you are 15-years old or unemployed and posting from your parents basement.

If you're looking to get a rise out of me, you'll be disappointed. Our coach is a tough Philly guy and he always says "No one here is going to have a pity party." I'm of the same mindset. We'll be ok and I look forward to the team rising to a tough challenge.

But you stay classy fella. My guess is you are 15-years old or unemployed and posting from your parents basement.

What an original comeback....NOT! LOLOLOLOL

I'm w/ Activebadger on this. These are young men who work hard, attend class, and love to play a game in front of many people. To have that taken away for a year, or possibly forever, is not something to gloat about. Go Hawks!

Yes, a 20-year old kid losing his season to an injury is the height of comedy......

Yeah, because the team listened to Brad Stevens (the assistant coach) more than their HEAD COACH. Also during timeouts it was Brad Stevens talking and drawing up strategy not Todd Lickliter right?!!

Just crazy talk, I guess it's still silly season.

You apparently never saw Iowa play under Steve Alford. Craig Neal says hello.

Winning is what makes the difference. If Iowa had won like Lickliter's Butler teams then my guess is people would love Lickliter and the "Butler way". Unfortunately for Lickliter he could get his team to do what his Butler teams were able to do.

Brad Stevens is the hottest coaching commodity outside of John Calipari and Shaka Smart and he is a Butler and Lickliter guy. Stevens plays the same system Lickliter did. It just looks different when it brings victories.

After been swept last year I can see why you wish Lick was still here.

He wasn't? I'm fairly certain that Stevens was hired as a full-time assistant once Lickliter became the head coach after Thad Matta had left. I'd call him a Lickliter guy, considering he sat on the bench with him for 5+ years. I attribute Butler's success during Lickliter's tenure to Stevens, not Lickliter.

What I meant was that Stevens wasn't a Lickliter guy because he was a Butler guy. The Butler system has been in place since Barry Collier, and can run pretty smoothly no matter who's behind the wheel. Yeah, Stevens coached with Lickliter, but you can clearly tell his style of play and coaching is nothing like Lickliter's.

I'm w/ Activebadger on this. These are young men who work hard, attend class, and love to play a game in front of many people. To have that taken away for a year, or possibly forever, is not something to gloat about. Go Hawks!

I think most delusional fans actually do like it when an opposing team has an injury to a key player. It allows them an easier path to achieving their goal of winning.

For me sports is about the process of becoming a champion. When I played sports as a younger man I always wanted my opponent to be at their best and healthy, it makes winning that much more satisfying. I wanted to play the best at their best. I imagine most people that play the game on the Division I level feel the same.

But hey, that's just me.

hawkfan33, you're doing something that I never thought would happen....I'm siding with active bugger on this one. You've crossed the line.

The same way I can explain Nick Saban being mediocre at MSU and terrible at Miami but then being looked at as a God in Alabama. The same way I can explain Tim Floyd being amazing at Iowa State and sucking with the Bulls. The same way I can explain Bill Belicek being run out of Cleveland and now being a genius in New England. The same way I can explain Pete Carrol getting fired from the Patriots and then finding success at USC and now Seattle.

Sometimes it isn't just one particular factor but a confluence of factors that lead to success or failure and sometimes the difference is very thin. Did Kirk Ferentz all of a sudden become a terrible coach? No he didn't, he still has the skills and acumen.

Just like JoePa was the one completely running the show at PSU his last few years there, right? Not like he wasn't just the figurehead of the program or anything... :rolleyes:

Latest posts