Doug McDermott Comments On The Top Secret Scrimmage...

HawkeyeShane

Doug was a guest on Cotlar and Garman's "Out of Bounds" program on 1700 The Champ this morning and was asked about the "Top Secret" scrimmage between Iowa and Creighton...he said they're not supposed to comment too much on it but he could say that while both teams still have some work to do to get to where they want to be, fans of both schools are going to like what they see this season.

It's not much, but hell...what else are we going to talk about right now?

Then you are not a fan of basketball. Maybe basket weaving is more up your alley.

Winning is what makes the difference. If Iowa had won like Lickliter's Butler teams then my guess is people would love Lickliter and the "Butler way". Unfortunately for Lickliter he could get his team to do what his Butler teams were able to do.

Brad Stevens is the hottest coaching commodity outside of John Calipari and Shaka Smart and he is a Butler and Lickliter guy. Stevens plays the same system Lickliter did. It just looks different when it brings victories.

Winning is what makes the difference. If Iowa had won like Lickliter's Butler teams then my guess is people would love Lickliter and the "Butler way". Unfortunately for Lickliter he could get his team to do what his Butler teams were able to do.

Brad Stevens is the hottest coaching commodity outside of John Calipari and Shaka Smart and he is a Butler and Lickliter guy. Stevens plays the same system Lickliter did. It just looks different when it brings victories.

Nope! You also happen to cheer for another boring basketball team.

Brad Stevens was not a Lickliter guy.

He wasn't? I'm fairly certain that Stevens was hired as a full-time assistant once Lickliter became the head coach after Thad Matta had left. I'd call him a Lickliter guy, considering he sat on the bench with him for 5+ years. I attribute Butler's success during Lickliter's tenure to Stevens, not Lickliter.

No, it is kind of like soccer. I don't like it because it is boring to watch. I still wouldn't want to watch a friend or someone I liked play soccer even if they won, because it is boring. And that is what Lick ball was. That 10-8 win over Michigan State a few years ago set back the game of basketball by 50 years.

He wasn't? I'm fairly certain that Stevens was hired as a full-time assistant once Lickliter became the head coach after Thad Matta had left. I'd call him a Lickliter guy, considering he sat on the bench with him for 5+ years. I attribute Butler's success during Lickliter's tenure to Stevens, not Lickliter.

Yeah, because the team listened to Brad Stevens (the assistant coach) more than their HEAD COACH. Also during timeouts it was Brad Stevens talking and drawing up strategy not Todd Lickliter right?!!

Just crazy talk, I guess it's still silly season.

sarcasm.jpg

Yeah, because the team listened to Brad Stevens (the assistant coach) more than their HEAD COACH. Also during timeouts it was Brad Stevens talking and drawing up strategy not Todd Lickliter right?!!

Just crazy talk, I guess it's still silly season.

So I guess assistants can't have a big impact on a team, huh? How do you explain Lickliter falling flat on his face at Iowa and Butler not even skipping a beat?

No, it is kind of like soccer. I don't like it because it is boring to watch. I still wouldn't want to watch a friend or someone I liked play soccer even if they won, because it is boring. And that is what Lick ball was. That 10-8 win over Michigan State a few years ago set back the game of basketball by 50 years.

So those hundreds of millions of soccer fans the world over are suffering from some delusional type of sickness are they? I don't like soccer either but that's just because I wasn't raised on it and don't understand the nuances of strategy, team play, defense, scoring opportunities, etc.

My wife fell asleep during the BIG championship game last year between MSU and Wisconsin, a 42-39 thriller that came down to the last few plays. "How can you sleep with this game on?!!!" Her reply: "All they are doing is falling over each other and then lining up and doing it again. It's SOO boring."

You are like my wife, you just don't understand it.

This is just Ghost being contrarian again. Even if Lickliter was the one who made him a full time assistant, which he did, and coached with him for 5+ years like you mentioned, Ghost will say he's not a Lickliter. Facts have no place in Ghost's contrarian argument.

Latest posts