Doug Green Safety Director U of I is the problem

That's why I qualified the statement by saying "directly influenced". I knew your day was ruined because you were "indirectly influenced" by the UI enforcing state code.

Maybe it's a sign you should lay off the booze? I finally did before it became a problem.

You know absolutely nothing about me, yet you have accused me of being an alcoholic on several occasions.

You know absolutely nothing about me, yet you have accused me of being an alcoholic on several occasions.

I've never accused you of being an alcoholic...I just can't get over how much of a whiner you are because you can't drink a beer while walking on Melrose. Anyone who would suggest giving up their season tickets with the current demand for tickets & the quality of the product on the field, simply because they are blowing something totally stupid out of proportion, has their priorities out of whack, alcoholic or not.

I never complained about not drinking a beer on Melrose. And if this isn't calling someone a alcholic in a PC sort of way i don't know what is:Maybe it's a sign you should lay off the booze? I finally did before it became a problem.

Getting hassled by police and not being able to **** are major inconveniences in my book. So yeah, giving up season tickets is an option.

Do you really think any of this could happen in Lincoln, Ann Arbor or Columbus? No. They let the fans party and have a good time. That is the point of it all, anyway.

Having been to UI games @ Ann Arbor & Columbus, I can tell you that people are more cognizant of the fact that they are walking around with an open container than they are in IC.

In fact, last year we tailgated before the game @ OSU in a University lot probably 5 miles from the stadium. We were told several times by other tailgaters, and even a security person (not a cop), that if we didn't have our alcohol in a plastic cup, we'd get a ticket for an open container. Everyone I saw did so, and there were no problems.

Listening to the Scott Van Pelt show today on ESPN Radio he even brought Iowa's crack down up and said that it is BS. There is a certain age range that they need to watch and keep an eye on, not the mature adults that know better. As an adult, a father, a husband I don't drink to get drunk anymore like I did back in the day. Having a beer for me is relaxing, a time to kick back and have some laughs about how dumb we were 20 years ago. Drinking games, keg stands and all the other stuff that goes along with bing (sp?) drinking is what needs to be stopped.

Whatever you say man, i'm sick of listening to you preach.

I was never once preaching.What I have said all along is the law is the law. But what I have also said, is the laws that are being enforced are pretty much laid out, and if you really wanted to get around them, it's not so hard that it should ruin your experience.

Don't tailgate on University Property, and you can tailgate as long as the property owners let you, play all the flippy cup you want, and drink all the hard liquor you want. I have friends in University Heights that have many open spots on their yard for the taking.

I've also said that if you get off on walking down Melrose with an open beer, that sucks. But pound one or two, and walk a 12 pack to the kinnick lot, where you can have an open container. You won't miss much.

These aren't communist rules, and contrary to popular belief, unless you are totally stupid the cops are going to leave you alone. It's amazing to me how this site ALONE (i.e. not the other Hawkeye boards) has been overtaken by the few that have had their lives ruined by the UI's enforcement of these laws. & as long as you start daily posts whining about it, I'm going to be an a$$Hole because there are a lot better things going on at the University that should be taking over this board.

whether you agree as to whether that is a solution to the problem or not is a mute point.

Alright, I hate to get bogged down on such a petty detail, but this is a pet peeve of mine. It's MOOT, not mute. Mute is the button on your remote that takes the sound away.

It's the knuckleheads that just can't figure it out.

I believe I read several stories where a few ladies in their 50's and a grandmother in her 60's received open container tickets.

Yup, those "knuckleheads" were raising he|| and surely deserved those tickets.

(i.e. Proof that they weren't just after so-called knuckleheads...but again, I think you stated several times that you weren't at the game.)

H8IAST8 VS IH8IAST8 Is like watching Superman and Bizzaro Superman do battle.

Do you guys know which one of you is the good guy and which is the bad guy?

Oh, if we are going to use the Netherlands as a standard.

The Netherlands has a dual-level health care system. All primary and curative care (i.e. the family doctor service and hospitals and clinics) is financed from private obligatory insurance. Long term care for the elderly, the dying, the long term mentally ill etc. is covered by social insurance funded from earmarked taxation.
Private insurance companies must offer a core universal insurance package for the universal primary curative care, which includes the cost of all prescription medicines. They must do this at a fixed price for all. The same premium is paid whether young or old, healthy or sick. It is illegal in The Netherlands for insurers to refuse an application for health insurance, to impose special conditions (e.g., exclusions, deductibles, co-payments, or refuse to fund doctor-ordered treatments). The system is 50% financed from payroll taxes paid by employers to a fund controlled by the Health regulator. The government contributes an additional 5% to the regulator's fund. The remaining 45% is collected as premiums paid by the insured directly to the insurance company. Some employers negotiate bulk deals with health insurers and some even pay the employees' premiums as an employment benefit. All insurance companies receive additional funding from the regulator's fund. The regulator has sight of the claims made by policyholders and therefore can redistribute the funds its holds on the basis of relative claims made by policy holders. Thus insurers with high payouts receive more from the regulator than those with low payouts. Thus insurance companies have no incentive to deter high cost individuals from taking insurance and are compensated if they have to pay out more than a threshold. This threshold is set above the expected costs. Insurance companies compete with each other on price for the 45% direct premium part of the funding and should try to negotiate deals with hospitals to keep costs low and quality high. The competition regulator is charged with checking for abuse of dominant market positions and the creation of cartels that act against the consumer interests. An insurance regulator ensures that all basic policies have identical coverage rules so that no person is medically disadvantaged by his or her choice of insurer.

Hospitals in the Netherlands are mostly privately run and not for profit, as are the insurance companies. Most insurance packages allow patients to choose where they want to be treated. To help patients to choose, the government gathers (Zichtbare Zorg) and discloses information about provider performance (kiesBeter). Patients dissatisfied with their insurer can choose another one at least once a year.
Insurance companies can offer additional services at extra cost over and above the universal system laid down by the regulator, e.g. for dental care. The standard monthly premium for health care paid by individual adults is about €100 per month. (127 US dollars) Persons on low incomes can get assistance from the government if they cannot afford these payments. Children under 18 are insured by the system at no additional cost to them or their families because the insurance company receives the cost of this from the regulator's fund.

The Netherlands has a dual-level health care system. All primary and curative care (i.e. the family doctor service and hospitals and clinics) is financed from private obligatory insurance. Long term care for the elderly, the dying, the long term mentally ill etc. is covered by social insurance funded from earmarked taxation.
Private insurance companies must offer a core universal insurance package for the universal primary curative care, which includes the cost of all prescription medicines. They must do this at a fixed price for all. The same premium is paid whether young or old, healthy or sick. It is illegal in The Netherlands for insurers to refuse an application for health insurance, to impose special conditions (e.g., exclusions, deductibles, co-payments, or refuse to fund doctor-ordered treatments). The system is 50% financed from payroll taxes paid by employers to a fund controlled by the Health regulator. The government contributes an additional 5% to the regulator's fund. The remaining 45% is collected as premiums paid by the insured directly to the insurance company. Some employers negotiate bulk deals with health insurers and some even pay the employees' premiums as an employment benefit. All insurance companies receive additional funding from the regulator's fund. The regulator has sight of the claims made by policyholders and therefore can redistribute the funds its holds on the basis of relative claims made by policy holders. Thus insurers with high payouts receive more from the regulator than those with low payouts. Thus insurance companies have no incentive to deter high cost individuals from taking insurance and are compensated if they have to pay out more than a threshold. This threshold is set above the expected costs. Insurance companies compete with each other on price for the 45% direct premium part of the funding and should try to negotiate deals with hospitals to keep costs low and quality high. The competition regulator is charged with checking for abuse of dominant market positions and the creation of cartels that act against the consumer interests. An insurance regulator ensures that all basic policies have identical coverage rules so that no person is medically disadvantaged by his or her choice of insurer.

Hospitals in the Netherlands are mostly privately run and not for profit, as are the insurance companies. Most insurance packages allow patients to choose where they want to be treated. To help patients to choose, the government gathers (Zichtbare Zorg) and discloses information about provider performance (kiesBeter). Patients dissatisfied with their insurer can choose another one at least once a year.
Insurance companies can offer additional services at extra cost over and above the universal system laid down by the regulator, e.g. for dental care. The standard monthly premium for health care paid by individual adults is about €100 per month. (127 US dollars) Persons on low incomes can get assistance from the government if they cannot afford these payments. Children under 18 are insured by the system at no additional cost to them or their families because the insurance company receives the cost of this from the regulator's fund.

Beats the hell out of the crapfest we're stuck with.

Back to the point...18 is the age of majority for all major responsibilities and privileges...except drinking. It's BS. Either you're an adult or you're not.

That wasn't my point, trust me, I'm the last one pushing that socialized sh$t agenda. We just found it funny that a kid can get sh$t out of his system before he gets his drivers license in the Netherlands. This person in particular moved here at the age of 19, so he couldn't drink in the US when he got here despite the fact that he had been drinking for 3 years at home.

I brought it up because I think if the drinking age was lower, it would cut down on the binging in college. I also think Iowa City has it made. Yeah, it has it's share of college drinking but it's localized to a very small are of town.

I did my undergrad @ UNI, and I think in the 90's just as many kids were partying at UNI as UI, as a percentage of the student body...the only difference was, we drove all over to do it. From the Hill to downtown CF, Jokers/Shags, Brewsters, & the tit bars in Waterloo. We were all over the place, and (stupidly) usually someone was driving under the influence. Kids might drive drunk in Iowa City but they aren't very likely to do it from bar to bar, because for the most part all the bars are in one place.

Latest posts