Doug Green Safety Director U of I is the problem

That ordinance is only in effect after what, 9 PM? That's when everyone under 21 has to be out of the bars?

Probably nothing.

I have read that the UI is trying to promote an alcohol free education to the class of 2014; meaning that they understand that the sophs/junoirs/seniors have already been influenced by the old policy enforcement, so they have focused their efforts beginning on this incoming class. I don't see them backing off this agenda when the 21-ordinance is repealed.

That wasn't my point, trust me, I'm the last one pushing that socialized sh$t agenda. We just found it funny that a kid can get sh$t out of his system before he gets his drivers license in the Netherlands. This person in particular moved here at the age of 19, so he couldn't drink in the US when he got here despite the fact that he had been drinking for 3 years at home.

I brought it up because I think if the drinking age was lower, it would cut down on the binging in college. I also think Iowa City has it made. Yeah, it has it's share of college drinking but it's localized to a very small are of town.

Actually, that is an interesting theory but I have done a bunch of research on college binge drinking and there is absolutely no data to support that hypothesis. The one area where the most overwhelmingly significant change occurs with respect to drinking is public policy regarding access to liquor and places of drinking. Sorry, but that is, in fact, what the data shows.

Another predictor of binge drinking is whether the individual's parents drink excessively on occasion or frequently.

Here is an interesting tidbit with respect to Iowa. The most prevelent form of health campaign on college campuses is the social norms campaign. Social norms campaigns are based on the assumption that people overestimate the amount of drinking that is going on and think they need to drink more to keep up. The ways the campaigns work is that you measure how much people think others drink and then you measure how much everyone says they drink. Normally people do in fact report they think that people drink alot more than reported.

At Iowa the numbers are reversed. People report drinking more than they think others are drinking. And the kicker? Both numbers constitute how we define frequent binge drinking. This is the only college campus I have seen this to be the case, and it is documented because it is such an unusual finding.

All of this being said, I am in favor of matching the drinking age with the age of adulthood. However, I think it is also reasonable to consider whether people should be considered adults at 18 or 20? I was pretty much a knucklehead at 18.

Last edited:
I have read that the UI is trying to promote an alcohol free education to the class of 2014; meaning that they understand that the sophs/junoirs/seniors have already been influenced by the old policy enforcement, so they have focused their efforts beginning on this incoming class. I don't see them backing off this agenda when the 21-ordinance is repealed.

If the ordinance isn't in place, I don't think that their push will be too successful. If the students want to drink, and can legally go to the bars, they will.

Of course, house parties are down*, so the primary concern regarding the policy is no longer a factor.

*this is according to complaints to police about noise violations, unruly house, etc. All that means is that the calls are down, not necessarily the parties themselves. According to a lot of students that I have classes with, there are just as many, if not more house parties. They just aren't getting busted.

The ways the campaigns work is that you measure how much people think others drink and then you measure how much everyone says they drink. Normally people do in fact report they think that people drink alot more than reported.

At Iowa the numbers are reversed. People report drinking more than they think others are drinking.

Seriously, I've read this 3 times and still have no idea what you just said. And I'm not even drunk.

Seriously, I've read this 3 times and still have no idea what you just said. And I'm not even drunk.

I had a little trouble with it too. I'll try to nutshell it if I can:

We'll say I'm an average college student. I think that 75% of the student body drinks. In fact, only about 20% actually drink (I'm just making these figures up).

At Iowa, it's more like this: I think that about 40% drink. In fact, over 60% reported that they drink. Again, these are made up figures, but it's a simple picture of what I think CAAR was describing.

My philosophy has always been if you're old enough to die for your country, you're old enough to have a beer if you so choose. Speaking from experience, clubs on base usually felt the same way.

Bottom line is... someone is going far, far overboard to change what is an escape for 6 or 7 days a year for so many a football fan, at any age, that also like to have a few beers and socialize as well at an event. An event that also btw, promotes comradery and philanthropy to a high revenue institution.

Maybe CAAR or someone else can cite a study of what football would actually be like without the millions that are spent on drinking and gambling by its fans. Further, if there is a direct link to how much is donated to a program based on the overall # of beers they have had or been witness to outside a sporting function (football game).

Okay, it's more like this. I think that the average student drinks five drinks in a single sitting 3 times a week, but I report doing it myself 4 times a week.

Usually on college campuses the figures look like I think people drink 5 drinks in a sitting 3 times a week, but I report only doing it once in the last month.

Again, Iowa is kind of famous in social norms circles because their numbers are so different.

Now, social norms campaigns don't really work. Just like most attempts don't work. What has proven effective is public policy change limiting or controlling access. Sucks, but it is true.

Now, don't get me wrong. I live in a partially dry county right now and I am all in favor of that changing. I think the character of IC is in large part due to the drinking behavior of the students. In other words, I don't have a dog in this fight. But, I think it is important to get the facts straight and also to provide some perspective about what is informing these decisions.

Having been to UI games @ Ann Arbor & Columbus, I can tell you that people are more cognizant of the fact that they are walking around with an open container than they are in IC.

In fact, last year we tailgated before the game @ OSU in a University lot probably 5 miles from the stadium. We were told several times by other tailgaters, and even a security person (not a cop), that if we didn't have our alcohol in a plastic cup, we'd get a ticket for an open container. Everyone I saw did so, and there were no problems.

No kidding if people thought the "crackdown" is bad there would be full scale riots if Iowa City had the same rules they have in Columbus.

NO alcohol of any kind on University property

Sure you can drink out of plastic cups but if a cop sees a beer can at your tailgate or sees you pouring a beer into a plastic cup you are going to get a ticket.

Yes, I think they went a little overboard last week with the new rules but would guess things will be a little different this weekend and the rest of the home games this year. I don't have a problem with them cracking down on people that are walking down the street with a beer.

I have a problem with the numerous people that have said they were given tickets for standing on the wrong side of a sidewalk drinking a beer, that is where the police need to use some common sense.

This week being the ISU game and a 2:30 start I would guess the police will have plenty to deal with what I assume will be an increase of ISU/Iowa students tailgating and an increase of students partying that don't have tickets to the game.

I think Sally and Gary have heard enough from the people that donate a lot of money to the U of I and the Athletic department, I will be shocked if things don't get turned down a bit for those that aren't acting like idiots and they will actually start focusing on the "knuckleheads"

Further, if there is a direct link to how much is donated to a program based on the overall # of beers they have had or been witness to outside a sporting function (football game).

FWIW, my work @ the UI has been supported by a donor to the University of Iowa, who considers themselves, small donors to the UI athletic program. But they still donate millions of dollars to the athletic program annually.

With all due respect, these are the donors that can afford the UI to have practice facilities built, stadiums renovated, and coaches salaries inflated...& the amount of alcohol they drink has zero to do with the millions of dollars they donate a year.

The revenue generated by the UI directly from footballs games is minor in comparison to these donations. & whether you realize it or not, the UI is a business, and when demand FAR exceeds supply, a business man would be stupid to not fleece the consumer for every penny the product is worth, especially when the quality of the product is outstanding (i.e. Apple).

Until demand decreases SIGNIFICANTLY (which unless the team takes a nose-dive, it won't), the UI will continue to do whatever they want because the big donors don't care one bit about all the squabbling about how many points one season ticket holder has compared to another OR when & where they can drink alcohol, etc. etc. etc.

No kidding if people thought the "crackdown" is bad there would be full scale riots if Iowa City had the same rules they have in Columbus.

Sure you can drink out of plastic cups but if a cop sees a beer can at your tailgate or sees you pouring a beer into a plastic cup you are going to get a ticket.

Yes, I think they went a little overboard last week with the new rules but would guess things will be a little different this weekend and the rest of the home games this year. I don't have a problem with them cracking down on people that are walking down the street with a beer.

I have a problem with the numerous people that have said they were given tickets for standing on the wrong side of a sidewalk drinking a beer, that is where the police need to use some common sense.

This week being the ISU game and a 2:30 start I would guess the police will have plenty to deal with what I assume will be an increase of ISU/Iowa students tailgating and an increase of students partying that don't have tickets to the game.

I think Sally and Gary have heard enough from the people that donate a lot of money to the U of I and the Athletic department, I will be shocked if things don't get turned down a bit for those that aren't acting like idiots and they will actually start focusing on the "knuckleheads"

Columbus is a huge city, and alot of Big Ten cities are larger than IC. Apples to Oranges.

This. Seriously, it's not a God given right to be able to drink in the middle of the street. Money talks and I suspect that Hoffa is 100% correct that the higher ups have heard from the higher ups.

I also suspect that for the first game, they went out to show that they meant business, and things will get gradually more laid back.

That was my point. The tailgating @ Columbus wasn't significantly better or worse than in Iowa City but everyone was constantly cognizant of the fact that they couldn't be caught with an open can or bottle of beer. They didn't b*$ch about it, it's just the way it was & they dealt with it.

Columbus is a huge city, and alot of Big Ten cities are larger than IC. Apples to Oranges.

Yep, you are right. I remember as a kid it was acceptable to do lines of coke in downtown Shell Rock. Did you know prostitution is allowed in Windham? Apples to Oranges.

Yep, you are right. I remember as a kid it was acceptable to do lines of coke in downtown Shell Rock. Did you know prostitution is allowed in Windham? Apples to Oranges.

And I always thought that people were speaking metaphorically when said that Windham was full of whores.

I guess that explains the school mascot The Fightin' Windham Whores.

Until demand decreases SIGNIFICANTLY (which unless the team takes a nose-dive, it won't), the UI will continue to do whatever they want because the big donors don't care one bit about all the squabbling about how many points one season ticket holder has compared to another OR when & where they can drink alcohol, etc. etc. etc.

Fair enough. Point well taken. We'll see how it goes for the next several games. I'm sure it is a work in progress for them too, but to single out semi-adhering adults for citations is not what was intended. Also, I agree, we do not want it like Columbus.

I believe I read several stories where a few ladies in their 50's and a grandmother in her 60's received open container tickets.

Yup, those "knuckleheads" were raising he|| and surely deserved those tickets.

(i.e. Proof that they weren't just after so-called knuckleheads...but again, I think you stated several times that you weren't at the game.)

It would have helped if they would have had their tops on.

Some of these comparisons to other Big Ten schools and Nebraska make me laugh. Who wants an environment like some of these places? Not me.

Some of these comparisons to other Big Ten schools and Nebraska make me laugh. Who wants an environment like some of these places? Not me.

In all honesty, the OSU game last year was one of the coolest times I have had at a football game; even as a fan of the visiting team. Yeah, the pre-game festivities are different here but the whole environment was pretty bad a$$ in Columbus.

Latest posts