Don't understand the love affair with Forbes

I would wager dollars to doughnuts that some peoples love affair with Forbes is based solely on one post Miller had about Forbes being a great recruiter

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/basketball/7557-search-name-keeps-coming-up.html

I like the guy but if Iowa hires him Barta will have failed to get several other coaches he wanted more

That would be because the coaches he wanted more won't have wanted to come to a program in this bad of shape. Forbes is chomping at the bit to take it over regardless of how sorry it all is right now. That goes a long way with me, and given his recruiting abilities, he's a very attractive candidate. I'm also sure he can get some good recruiters on his staff (B.J. anyone???). If he can do that, then we can get this turned around.

Big difference being an assistant at Tennessee under Pearl than being at Georgia. The thing is that he has all those attributes so you can't ignore them. That's like saying imagine that KF was never an assitant coach at Iowa... can't do it.

That would be because the coaches he wanted more won't have wanted to come to a program in this bad of shape. Forbes is chomping at the bit to take it over regardless of how sorry it all is right now. That goes a long way with me, and given his recruiting abilities, he's a very attractive candidate. I'm also sure he can get some good recruiters on his staff (B.J. anyone???). If he can do that, then we can get this turned around.

Its far fetched enough to think BJ will be the head coach, let alone an assistant. The only way BJ is giving up his lifestyle and current pay grade would be to come be the head man, and with Derrick Rose a couple years away from a max deal that aint happening

Forbes to me has the smell of another KF hire. Iowa ties that wants to be in Iowa City. He knows what it is going to take but can get the right kids here to fix the BB program. I hate to say this becasue I want Tennessee to win but I hope they are done tonight and things can move forward.

I would wager dollars to doughnuts that some peoples love affair with Forbes is based solely on one post Miller had about Forbes being a great recruiter

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/basketball/7557-search-name-keeps-coming-up.html

I like the guy but if Iowa hires him Barta will have failed to get several other coaches he wanted more

No, I was skeptical until I read that thread on HR, where that UKy bb blogger who is very familiar with SEC bb indicated that Forbes could very likely bring players with him if hired...and endorsed him as one of the best recruiters around.

When Raveling came into Iowa as head coach...he got recruits...not sure who was doing his legwork,but I think the head guy is huge in this process. I heard a whole lot more about Roy Williams being in Ames than his assistants....now, maybe they made the initial contact,but Forbes would put a staff together that can do that well, ...anyway Roy closed the deal on Barnes...Forbes has said he thinks recruiting is a whole staff deal....and I agree.

I think we should hire Forbes for a 5 year,5 million dollar deal...and get busy winning.

DesMoinesHawk is exactly right. If Barta hired Forbes and he had no ties to Iowa, we would be calling for his head.

This is a case of "feel good". He makes Hawk fans "feel good" because he actually has publicly stated he likes us. It's no different than when you wanted to date the hot chick in school, but she wasn't interested. Now, you're feeling good about the ugly girl because she is interested in you. Then, you spend the next number of weeks trying to justify the qualities the ugly chick has that makes her a better catch than the hot chick. When in reality, she just doesn't look as good. That's the case with this Forbes nonsense.

DesMoinesHawk is exactly right. If Barta hired Forbes and he had no ties to Iowa, we would be calling for his head.

This is a case of "feel good". He makes Hawk fans "feel good" because he actually has publicly stated he likes us. It's no different than when you wanted to date the hot chick in school, but she wasn't interested. Now, you're feeling good about the ugly girl because she is interested in you. Then, you spend the next number of weeks trying to justify the qualities the ugly chick has that makes her a better catch than the hot chick. When in reality, she just doesn't look as good. That's the case with this Forbes nonsense.

This "ugly chick" has experience under both Bruce Pearl and Billy Gillispie. At Louisiana Tech he signed 2 nationally ranked recruiting classes including a top 10 recruiting class in 2003.
As the head coach at Barton County Community College in Great Bend, Kan. his three seasons competing in the Jayhawk Conference, the Cougars produced three All-Americas, twice finished the season with a national ranking and earned victories over 15 nationally-ranked teams.

Not so "ugly" if you ask me!

You were hoping for Keno weren't you? Would he have really interested you as much without the Iowa ties(I also liked Keno so don't make any assumptions). I just have trouble believing people would have been clamoring for Keno based solely on what he did at Drake and Providence.

I think the key with Forbes will be his assistants. From the sounds of it, he has a lot of contacts out there and would be able to fill his staff with experience. This is what we have lacked with our last two hires. And, in my opinion, the reason the last two coaches fell on their faces.

That would be a great question for the Keno supporters. If Keno was not the sainted Mr. Davis's son, why would we want him. So far he caught a good team one year. What else qualifies him? His less than stellar record at Providence?

No offense to any fan, but everyone in the basketball business knows that Forbes is a heavy hitter.

And he was a very successful head coach at a "less than powerhouse" Juco....

As for recruiting as a head coach.... Forbes would be just as involved as he is as an assistant. You only get so many days on the road and Forbes would be out every day he's allotted, just like he is now.

I've known Forbes for a while now and I'm a huge fan....even as he coaches against "my team". It's impossible not to respect and admire what he's accomplished. I think the average fan doesn't get to see these types of things, as the assistants rarely get the glory.

mm

No offense to any fan, but everyone in the basketball business knows that Forbes is a heavy hitter.

As for recruiting as a head coach.... Forbes would be just as involved as he is as an assistant. You only get so many days on the road and Forbes would be out every day he's allotted, just like he is now.

I've known Forbes for a while now and I'm a huge fan....even as he coaches against "my team". It's impossible not to respect and admire what he's accomplished. I think the average fan doesn't get to see these types of things, as the assistants rarely get the glory.

mm

Marc, what are you hearing thru the grapevine about Forbes chances of being hired by Barta?

Finally someone that can back me up. Many a winter night I remeber driving back from a recruiting trip to only have get up at 6am to look over game tape and get ready for practice...his work ethic is unbelievable.

mm

Marc, thanks for posting this over here, and if you do hear anything else please keep us informed as well as those on the rivals site, it would be greatly appreciated.

Given that Pearl is not interested, my list would be...

1) Drew
2) Gregory
3) Forbes

My primary support for Forbes is over several other mid-major coaches (Gregory would be ok given his time as an assistant at MSU). Not interested in head coaches from Tulsa, Wright State (please no more Horizon League) and Utah.

Latest posts