Don't understand the love affair with Forbes

gary-barta@uiowa.edu

I know it may seem silly, but everyone who is in support of coach Forbes at the very least getting an interview should email Barta. I know it may seem futile, but I have to think that one of the biggest reasons for Barta's hesitation is the fear of fans reaction to hiring someone who's never been a head coach in the big 6 conferences. I've sent my email stating that I want a coach that loves the Hawkeyes and wants the job like Coach Forbes. Between this and his talent for building relationships and recruiting is the exact opposite of what we've had in our last 2 coaches.

Why are these mid-major jokes supposed to so much better than Forbes ? He has shown that he can recruit better talent than they can.

Marc, what are you hearing thru the grapevine about Forbes chances of being hired by Barta?

On the Hawkeye Report website a guy named "coachxno" who knows Forbes and appears to have some contacts indicates Steve is not the "B" list to be considered if he is unsuccessful with his "A" list. He states the "safe bet" he has obtained from two different sources that the "A" list consists of:

Billy Kennedy
Brad Brownell
Jim Boylen
Craig Robinson

...with Gregory possibly being in the hunt also.

As of right now Forbes isn't even getting an interview.

If this information is correct, and these are the coaches Barta is targeting...he needs to be fired immediately. I'm sure the coaches listed are good men and good coaches...but this list is garbage. I would take Forbes over any of them.

I hope with all my heart this isn't true. If we end up with Kennedy, Brownell, Boylen or Robinson I am going to be royally ticked off.

No offense to any fan, but everyone in the basketball business knows that Forbes is a heavy hitter.

And he was a very successful head coach at a "less than powerhouse" Juco....

As for recruiting as a head coach.... Forbes would be just as involved as he is as an assistant. You only get so many days on the road and Forbes would be out every day he's allotted, just like he is now.

I've known Forbes for a while now and I'm a huge fan....even as he coaches against "my team". It's impossible not to respect and admire what he's accomplished. I think the average fan doesn't get to see these types of things, as the assistants rarely get the glory.

mm

Let me ask this if Steve Forbes is such a heavy hitter to those in the Basketball Business. Why then is he not a HEAD COACH.:confused::confused::confused:

Let me ask this if Steve Forbes is such a heavy hitter to those in the Basketball Business. Why then is he not a HEAD COACH.:confused::confused::confused:

Seriously?

There are tons of great assistant coaches who won't take "just any job". Forbes isn't interested in taking some Sunbelt job when he's competing for titles at UT. When you get to a certain level as an assistant, which Forbes has, you wait for the right job.....which he has done and will continue to do.

mm

Seriously?

There are tons of great assistant coaches who won't take "just any job". Forbes isn't interested in taking some Sunbelt job when he's competing for titles at UT. When you get to a certain level as an assistant, which Forbes has, you wait for the right job.....which he has done and will continue to do.

mm

Thanks for bringing your knowledge to HawkeyeNation Marc...much appreciated.

HawkPrdatr40....isn't that a great question? Plus, can someone tell me the last time a Big 10 school hired a second assistant from a different school to become their head coach? I would have to think this would be unprecedented.

I'm sure Barta is seeing the two dozen emails he's received about Forbes and having a good laugh. I could already hear the introduction at the press conference if he was hired:

"I'd like to introduce our new coach Steve Forbes. He's had a successful career as the 2nd assistant at UT under Bruce Pearl. He's landed some great recruits to play for Bruce and he was a successful Junior College coach. Oh yeah, and he's from Lone Tree, Iowa and he really wanted the job."

Man, that would really sell to the masses. No way Barta is doing that.....no way.

HawkPrdatr40....isn't that a great question? Plus, can someone tell me the last time a Big 10 school hired a second assistant from a different school to become their head coach? I would have to think this would be unprecedented.

I'm sure Barta is seeing the two dozen emails he's received about Forbes and having a good laugh. I could already hear the introduction at the press conference if he was hired:

"I'd like to introduce our new coach Steve Forbes. He's had a successful career as the 2nd assistant at UT under Bruce Pearl. He's landed some great recruits to play for Bruce and he was a successful Junior College coach. Oh yeah, and he's from Lone Tree, Iowa and he really wanted the job."

Man, that would really sell to the masses. No way Barta is doing that.....no way.

People need to get off the 2nd assistant thing, just ask KState fans how it has turned out for them to hire an assistant that didn't have HC experience.

HawkeyeReport.com - Message Boards

did you bother to read this?

You use the term "second assistant" as if you know something about how UT's basketball staff is organized. As if somehow, Steve Forbes is a "lesser assistant" than Tony Jones.

The fact is, Tony Jones has been with Pearl for about a decade while Steve just joined 4 years ago. Steve has a much better "pedigree" than Jones does and has been a head coach at two schools where Tony Jones comes from an AAU coaching background.

If both had been hired at the same time, Forbes would have been called the "associate head coach".... as it is, they both do the same job and are similarly paid.

mm

You use the term "second assistant" as if you know something about how UT's basketball staff is organized. As if somehow, Steve Forbes is a "lesser assistant" than Tony Jones.

The fact is, Tony Jones has been with Pearl for about a decade while Steve just joined 4 years ago. Steve has a much better "pedigree" than Jones does and has been a head coach at two schools where Tony Jones comes from an AAU coaching background.

If both had been hired at the same time, Forbes would have been called the "associate head coach".... as it is, they both do the same job and are similarly paid.

mm

This has been brought up here before, and yet some people can't seem to grasp the fact that Forbes joined the staff AFTER Jones was already the associate head coach. Keep up the contributions here and just ignore anyone that wants to play the "2nd assistant" card as it just shows how ignorant they really are to the situation.

Seriously?

mm

Marc,
No disrespect was intended by my question.

You indicate he is a heavy hitter in the Basketball business. There have been many job openings in the NCAA that are much better than a Sunbelt job. He isn't getting any younger. He has been an assistant coach at the D-1 level for 12 years. You would think a heavy hitter would get looks, considering he has 21 years in coaching with 2 gigs as a Juco Coach.

The bottomline is whoever Iowa hires I will support. I just have my doubts about Forbes is all.

Last edited:
This "ugly chick" has experience under both Bruce Pearl and Billy Gillispie. At Louisiana Tech he signed 2 nationally ranked recruiting classes including a top 10 recruiting class in 2003.
As the head coach at Barton County Community College in Great Bend, Kan. his three seasons competing in the Jayhawk Conference, the Cougars produced three All-Americas, twice finished the season with a national ranking and earned victories over 15 nationally-ranked teams.

Not so "ugly" if you ask me!

Agreed. Forbes will be a head coach in D1 sometime soon and he will be very successful. If you are not a mid-major, recruiting is the name of the game. I would personally like to see him wearing black and gold.

Latest posts