Don't Dismiss the B.J. Armstrong Talk

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I spoke with someone tonight whom I have a very, very good relationship that goes back a looong way. I trust this person explicitly.

This source has strong historical ties to the Iowa basketball program.

He has spoken with several people the last day or so that have told him that B.J. Armstrong is interested in the job...mostly, B.J. is interested in helping Iowa get turned back around. He would absolutely listen to Gary Barta if he called, and he wants Barta to call him...

B.J. is a resource that is there, if he gets contacted..based on his experience as a scout, he has great networks with top AAU and high school people across the country. Because of that he can recruit as a head coach similar to some of the bigger names I have shared previously.

According to my source, he would establish a great x's & o's staff, as well as a strong recruiting staff. I have heard one of the names that BJ would bring in as a staff member, and I have seen this guy's name thrown out on the boards not only for this search, but for the search three years ago. This person has been a head coach before and has NBA experience, but is now an assistant coach at a major conference program.

I will admit that all of this surprised me a bit, but I would not be posting it if I did not think it was legit. It sounds like all Barta has to do is to make a call and he and BJ can have a very interesting discussion...at worst, BJ is willing to help breath life back into the program at one level or another. More on this, and all twists and turns, as I hear them.

Last edited:
From a recruiting stanpoint, yeah I agree. However, my concern is just from the x's and o's standpoint. But as you said, he is looking to bring a former coach in that is strong with x's and o's, then maybe it could work. Jon, are you not willing to give the name of the assistant? Thanks for the info.

You just made Marty Tirrell look credible....

BJ will not be the next coach and I have NO sources.

Barta will not put his job on the line with a coach that has NO experience.

I was initially absolutely opposed to BJ...but goll dern it Jon you could sell me on just about anybody.

This is what we've come to? We need a coach with Hawkeye connections? With absolutely NO experience. C'mon, Jon. We can do better than that.

I am not saying he will be the next coach. I am saying there is a real interest. And BJ's over arching interest is in helping the program get back on his legs. Would he be a 10 year hire? Probly not. Would he be a guy that could come in for four or five years, turn things around, and then have some time to work with Barta to bring the next person without having to find someone in two weeks...but have months, or even longer, to find the right person, even groom them from within.

This is what we've come to? We need a coach with Hawkeye connections? With absolutely NO experience. C'mon, Jon. We can do better than that.

Where did I say we needed a coach with Hawkeye connections? I am passing along things I am hearing, and it's not just something a poster or fan told me at the bus stop. Do with it what you will.

So an NBA agent is going to be a D1 basketball coach?

Sorry, I just don't buy it.
The kids BJ would be recruiting weren't alive when he played for Iowa.

I am not saying he will be the next coach. I am saying there is a real interest. And BJ's over arching interest is in helping the program get back on his legs. Would he be a 10 year hire? Probly not. Would he be a guy that could come in for four or five years, turn things around, and then have some time to work with Barta to bring the next person without having to find someone in two weeks...but have months, or even longer, to find the right person, even groom them from within.

You make a good point about the time the next coach will spend at Iowa. We can all agree that having someone here until their retirement party would be best, but I don't think we can underestimate the horrible state our program is in. This might be a process over the next decade.

From a recruiting stanpoint, yeah I agree. However, my concern is just from the x's and o's standpoint. But as you said, he is looking to bring a former coach in that is strong with x's and o's, then maybe it could work. Jon, are you not willing to give the name of the assistant? Thanks for the info.

No, cannot name the assistant as he is currently gainfully employed and this thing is in its infancy.

Are you lacking sleep because of the morning radio show Jon? Take a nap... rethink this and get back to us.

Are you lacking sleep because of the morning radio show Jon? Take a nap... rethink this and get back to us.

There is nothing to rethink. I am passing along part of a conversation I had with a longtime friend and trusted source that has paid huge dividends for me. It ain't like I heard this from Joe down at the hardware store ;)

I'd be thrilled with him on the next staff, but not as a head coach.

Is he open to being only a head coach?

My thoughts as well, he be an excellent assistant for several reasons... but the $$$ he gets paid there's no way he'd take a step down to be an ast coach.

I'd be thrilled with him on the next staff, but not as a head coach.

Is he open to being only a head coach?

From what I have heard, BJ is interested in genuinely helping the program, and I dont think he has ruled anything out. But I don't have all of that information, only knowing he has interest in the Iowa basketball program and has told that to some folks

Really Jon?? Is it absolutely necessary to sell me on an idea that I was completely against. If this is true... and B.J. has a plan to overcome his lack of experience. I would be all for it! I love B.J. and I think he would definitely breathe some life into it. But WOW! I wouldn't have expected this post from you in a million years.

Latest posts