Dolphin get's a two game suspension

I bet Dailey won't be doing any interviews with Dolph anytime soon.. Maybe any of the players depending on how they all took it and stand with Dailey.. That part of things may be interesting. Fran is a professional he and Dolph talk a lot I'm sure. But for the players that sort of thing could stick awhile...
Actually, it would be a win-win if Daily were to reach out to Dolph. Someone mentioned either on this site or Hawkeye Report, that it would be cool if, on Dolph's first game back at Carver, Daily went over to Dolph during warmups and offered his hand in friendship.

That would probably tick Fran off, though.

Actually, it would be a win-win if Daily were to reach out to Dolph. Someone mentioned either on this site or Hawkeye Report, that it would be cool if, on Dolph's first game back at Carver, Daily went over to Dolph during warmups and offered his hand in friendship.

That would probably tick Fran off, though.
If this happens, it comes 100% from Maishe. No way Fran pushes him down that road. Fran's whiny entitled attitude has infected the whole team IMO, so I'd be very surprised if Maishe did this.

If this happens, it comes 100% from Maishe. No way Fran pushes him down that road. Fran's whiny entitled attitude has infected the whole team IMO, so I'd be very surprised if Maishe did this.
I could see it going any of either drastic of ways... Nothing would surprise me so much as I'll find it interesting what if anything does happen from Daily/players side of it

Sadly, it sounds like the liberal PC world of "safe spaces" and being overly offended by life itself has hit the campus of the University of Iowa. To suspend a loyal 20 year employee for making an obvious observation off the record (one that not a single hawk fan disagrees with) is a complete joke.

Brian Ferentz, who is paid 6 x more than Dolphin, and is an actual coach and role model representing the University, went on a press box tirade last year, screaming expletives and punching walls during the Minnesota game. He embarrassed the hell out of the University with his meathead behavior. Was he suspended? Nah. Dad simply told him "knock it off," Barta rubber stamped it, and everyone moved on as if nothing had happened.

Meanwhile Dolphin heaven forbid wondered allowed why Fran can't simply recruit a serviceable point guard over guys like Maishe Daily, whose next best scholarship offers were basketball powerhouses Eastern Michigan and Bryant.
Don't forget Brian's vulgar outburst towards Barta in regards to the refs as thy walked off the field at Purdue this year. People in the stands and all the media people in that area all heard it.

Sadly, it sounds like the liberal PC world of "safe spaces" and being overly offended by life itself has hit the campus of the University of Iowa. To suspend a loyal 20 year employee for making an obvious observation off the record (one that not a single hawk fan disagrees with) is a complete joke.

Brian Ferentz, who is paid 6 x more than Dolphin, and is an actual coach and role model representing the University, went on a press box tirade last year, screaming expletives and punching walls during the Minnesota game. He embarrassed the hell out of the University with his meathead behavior. Was he suspended? Nah. Dad simply told him "knock it off," Barta rubber stamped it, and everyone moved on as if nothing had happened.

Meanwhile Dolphin heaven forbid wondered allowed why Fran can't simply recruit a serviceable point guard over guys like Maishe Daily, whose next best scholarship offers were basketball powerhouses Eastern Michigan and Bryant.

Listen...I wouldn't knock BF for his tirade in the press box. I think they should show more emotion when blatant calls don't go our way. I'm tired of watching our receivers get mugged (Purdue) and no call, then at the end of the game a similar play is called on us. I'm not saying that Brents didn't interfere at the end of that game...he had some jersey...but there were several similar battles during that game that were no calls. The two holding calls didn't help either late in that game. I'm honestly ok with a 15 yard penalty and a complete melt down in the right situation. It sends the right message in my opinion. Don't screw up the next close one.

What Dolph said was fair...although it was said a bit like a 16 year old girl talking about the outfit some other 16 year old girl is wearing. Man up Dolph and ask Fran the question about his recruiting in a presser.

Oh look! IowaLaw showing his jealousy of the Ferentzes once again. This time by lumping KF to BF to an unrelated event with Dolph.

Does he like his jelly grape or strawberry?

<<Sadly, it sounds like the liberal PC world of "safe spaces" and being overly offended by life itself has hit the campus of the University of Iowa>>

Yeah. Like around 1965...and not one thing has changed since...

He wasn't wrong!

Barta completely mishandled this, because of course he did. FM didn't do anything to shift the narrative either.

LEARFIELD ANNOUNCES 2-GAME SUSPENSION FOR
HAWKEYES’ PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER

IOWA CITY, Iowa (Nov. 28, 2018) – Learfield, the exclusive multimedia rights holder for University of Iowa Athletics, today announced a two-game suspension for Hawkeyes’ men’s basketball play-by-play announcer Gary Dolphin. The suspension follows comments by Dolphin last night on the Hawkeye Radio Network men’s basketball broadcast during what should have been a commercial break in the Iowa-Pittsburgh game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
Dolphin, long-time voice of the Hawkeyes, is joined by color commentator Bobby Hansen on the basketball broadcasts, which are managed by Learfield. At the conclusion of last night’s game, Dolphin addressed the issue on the Hawkeye Radio Network. Following is an excerpt from his lengthy apology:
“We want to offer a public apology, and it won’t happen again. You have to assume there’s an open mic all the time, and that is no excuse. We said it. We own it. So our sincere apologies on behalf of the Hawkeye Radio Network to Coach McCaffery and his team.”
“Gary knows we are extremely disappointed in the comment he made about Maishe Dailey and the impact his remark had on our players and staff,” said Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair Gary Barta. “The two game suspension is a result of those comments, as well as some ongoing tensions that have built up over the past couple of years. This time away from the microphone will allow a chance to work through some of these issues. I truly appreciate the time and energy Gary puts into promoting Hawkeye Athletics. I’m extremely proud of our student-athletes and coaches’ great start to the season. All focus and attention is on beating Wisconsin Friday night.”
“We unfortunately encountered a technical error at our network broadcast operations center that allowed off-air comments to be aired during a portion of the first-half commercial break,” said Learfield Vice President-Broadcast Operations Tom Boman. “We thoroughly reviewed the situation here at our Broadcast Ops center to ensure this doesn’t happen again, and we’ve also been communicating closely with Gary Barta and his administration, the entire broadcast team and our local Hawkeye Sports Properties staff.”
Dolphin’s replacement for the games on Friday and Monday will be announced when finalized.
Fire Barta, now.

If this is Dolph’s apology then why is “his” apology filled with”we”s?

That is what I was wondering. He's freaking taking Hansen down with him. Even if they had some discussion that wasn't heard on the radio, he shouldn't include that and only include the public statements.

I work with a guy who's a Kentucky grad. I asked him his take on this today. He said in Kentucky, if a player wasn't playing well, the announcers wouldn't rip the player in a commercial break; they'd do it right on the air.

That is what I was wondering. He's freaking taking Hansen down with him. Even if they had some discussion that wasn't heard on the radio, he shouldn't include that and only include the public statements.
Is it that or is it a Learfield “we” and why would it be called “his” apology then?

And in this statement there’s not much of a distinction between when Dolph/Learfield/we apology ends and Barta’s wrist slap begins.

Not well done

Listen...I wouldn't knock BF for his tirade in the press box. I think they should show more emotion when blatant calls don't go our way. I'm tired of watching our receivers get mugged (Purdue) and no call, then at the end of the game a similar play is called on us. I'm not saying that Brents didn't interfere at the end of that game...he had some jersey...but there were several similar battles during that game that were no calls. The two holding calls didn't help either late in that game. I'm honestly ok with a 15 yard penalty and a complete melt down in the right situation. It sends the right message in my opinion. Don't screw up the next close one.

What Dolph said was fair...although it was said a bit like a 16 year old girl talking about the outfit some other 16 year old girl is wearing. Man up Dolph and ask Fran the question about his recruiting in a presser.
What Dolph said was said to a much larger audience as well, I hope they can all sit down and let it go

I'm not a huge Dolph fan by any means but this is plain stupid. If the AD or the coach can't handle some criticism then they shouldn't be in the position. Nothing Dolph said was wrong and it is shame that a coach of a team coming off a 8-24 season can go out and pick up those good players.

I don't like bashing players but at least Dolph was specific in what Dailey did wrong.

Barta is an idiot end of story how this clown still has his job is beyond me!
we have a dysfunctional athletic dept, created by Barta. We also have a school President who came here as a business man. There were many employees at Iowa who did not want him hired. The fact that he didn't fire Barta after he lost the 6 million dollar law suit just proves that he is an idiot. I think our President, AD and head football coach have created their own little worlds inside the athletic dept and they know that no one can touch them and we are stuck with them.

Latest posts