Dolphin get's a two game suspension

EstronHawkKing

LEARFIELD ANNOUNCES 2-GAME SUSPENSION FOR
HAWKEYES’ PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER

IOWA CITY, Iowa (Nov. 28, 2018) – Learfield, the exclusive multimedia rights holder for University of Iowa Athletics, today announced a two-game suspension for Hawkeyes’ men’s basketball play-by-play announcer Gary Dolphin. The suspension follows comments by Dolphin last night on the Hawkeye Radio Network men’s basketball broadcast during what should have been a commercial break in the Iowa-Pittsburgh game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
Dolphin, long-time voice of the Hawkeyes, is joined by color commentator Bobby Hansen on the basketball broadcasts, which are managed by Learfield. At the conclusion of last night’s game, Dolphin addressed the issue on the Hawkeye Radio Network. Following is an excerpt from his lengthy apology:
“We want to offer a public apology, and it won’t happen again. You have to assume there’s an open mic all the time, and that is no excuse. We said it. We own it. So our sincere apologies on behalf of the Hawkeye Radio Network to Coach McCaffery and his team.”
“Gary knows we are extremely disappointed in the comment he made about Maishe Dailey and the impact his remark had on our players and staff,” said Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair Gary Barta. “The two game suspension is a result of those comments, as well as some ongoing tensions that have built up over the past couple of years. This time away from the microphone will allow a chance to work through some of these issues. I truly appreciate the time and energy Gary puts into promoting Hawkeye Athletics. I’m extremely proud of our student-athletes and coaches’ great start to the season. All focus and attention is on beating Wisconsin Friday night.”
“We unfortunately encountered a technical error at our network broadcast operations center that allowed off-air comments to be aired during a portion of the first-half commercial break,” said Learfield Vice President-Broadcast Operations Tom Boman. “We thoroughly reviewed the situation here at our Broadcast Ops center to ensure this doesn’t happen again, and we’ve also been communicating closely with Gary Barta and his administration, the entire broadcast team and our local Hawkeye Sports Properties staff.”
Dolphin’s replacement for the games on Friday and Monday will be announced when finalized.

Kinda silly if you would ask me.

How does an AD not get suspended or fired for not doing his job (just do the paperwork) after costing Iowa taxpayers millions of dollars?

Kinda silly if you would ask me.

How does an AD not get suspended or fired for not doing his job (just do the paperwork) after costing Iowa taxpayers millions of dollars?

That money was not paid out of taxpayer funds, it was paid out of the Athletic Department funds which are completely separate. The athletic department is completely self-funded. Doesn't mean Barta didn't screw up badly, just want to make sure people are clear on that.

As for the Dolph thing, he clearly felt bad and apologized. not sure why they had to include a suspension. The part that sticks out to me from Barta was "The two game suspension is a result of those comments, as well as some ongoing tensions that have built up over the past couple of years"

What's that supposed to mean? Gary or Fran had a grudge against Dolph and are using this hot mic thing to get back at him? Need some clarification there.

“The two game suspension is a result of those comments, as well as some ongoing tensions that have built up over the past couple of years..." This made me laugh. So he's not only being suspended because of the comments, but because he's hurt Gary's feelings over the past few years? Way to show some spine and use this as an opportunity to address other issues in which you were too much of a coward to address previously.

And I have no problem going on record saying that I'm by no means a fan of Dolphin as an announcer.

Sadly, it sounds like the liberal PC world of "safe spaces" and being overly offended by life itself has hit the campus of the University of Iowa. To suspend a loyal 20 year employee for making an obvious observation off the record (one that not a single hawk fan disagrees with) is a complete joke.

Brian Ferentz, who is paid 6 x more than Dolphin, and is an actual coach and role model representing the University, went on a press box tirade last year, screaming expletives and punching walls during the Minnesota game. He embarrassed the hell out of the University with his meathead behavior. Was he suspended? Nah. Dad simply told him "knock it off," Barta rubber stamped it, and everyone moved on as if nothing had happened.

Meanwhile Dolphin heaven forbid wondered allowed why Fran can't simply recruit a serviceable point guard over guys like Maishe Daily, whose next best scholarship offers were basketball powerhouses Eastern Michigan and Bryant.

That money was not paid out of taxpayer funds, it was paid out of the Athletic Department funds which are completely separate. The athletic department is completely self-funded. Doesn't mean Barta didn't screw up badly, just want to make sure people are clear on that.

As for the Dolph thing, he clearly felt bad and apologized. not sure why they had to include a suspension. The part that sticks out to me from Barta was "The two game suspension is a result of those comments, as well as some ongoing tensions that have built up over the past couple of years"

What's that supposed to mean? Gary or Fran had a grudge against Dolph and are using this hot mic thing to get back at him? Need some clarification there.

Sounds like a butt hurt athletic department. If there's a problem then put on your big boy pants and address it. Don't sit back and wait for a chance to use it against him later.

Sounds like a butt hurt athletic department. If there's a problem then put on your big boy pants and address it. Don't sit back and wait for a chance to use it against him later.

exactly. Poor management style right there.

" as well as some ongoing tensions that have built up over the past couple of years. " Why this is included in the press release is beyond me.

We need an immediate investigation and whoever wrote that should get a 2 week suspension!:D

LEARFIELD ANNOUNCES 2-GAME SUSPENSION FOR
HAWKEYES’ PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER

IOWA CITY, Iowa (Nov. 28, 2018) – Learfield, the exclusive multimedia rights holder for University of Iowa Athletics, today announced a two-game suspension for Hawkeyes’ men’s basketball play-by-play announcer Gary Dolphin. The suspension follows comments by Dolphin last night on the Hawkeye Radio Network men’s basketball broadcast during what should have been a commercial break in the Iowa-Pittsburgh game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
Dolphin, long-time voice of the Hawkeyes, is joined by color commentator Bobby Hansen on the basketball broadcasts, which are managed by Learfield. At the conclusion of last night’s game, Dolphin addressed the issue on the Hawkeye Radio Network. Following is an excerpt from his lengthy apology:
“We want to offer a public apology, and it won’t happen again. You have to assume there’s an open mic all the time, and that is no excuse. We said it. We own it. So our sincere apologies on behalf of the Hawkeye Radio Network to Coach McCaffery and his team.”
“Gary knows we are extremely disappointed in the comment he made about Maishe Dailey and the impact his remark had on our players and staff,” said Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair Gary Barta. “The two game suspension is a result of those comments, as well as some ongoing tensions that have built up over the past couple of years. This time away from the microphone will allow a chance to work through some of these issues. I truly appreciate the time and energy Gary puts into promoting Hawkeye Athletics. I’m extremely proud of our student-athletes and coaches’ great start to the season. All focus and attention is on beating Wisconsin Friday night.”
“We unfortunately encountered a technical error at our network broadcast operations center that allowed off-air comments to be aired during a portion of the first-half commercial break,” said Learfield Vice President-Broadcast Operations Tom Boman. “We thoroughly reviewed the situation here at our Broadcast Ops center to ensure this doesn’t happen again, and we’ve also been communicating closely with Gary Barta and his administration, the entire broadcast team and our local Hawkeye Sports Properties staff.”
Dolphin’s replacement for the games on Friday and Monday will be announced when finalized.

I found this to be particularly interesting. Can anyone elaborate?

"as well as some ongoing tensions that have built up over the past couple of years."

The two game suspension is a result of those comments, as well as some ongoing tensions that have built up over the past couple of years..." This made me laugh. So he's not only being suspended because of the comments, but because he's hurt Gary's feelings over the past few years? Way to show some spine and use this as an opportunity to address other issues in which you were too much of a coward to address previously.

And I have no problem going on record saying that I'm by no means a fan of Dolphin as an announcer.

Yeah any chance a reporter could bring that up to him and ask for some clarity/specifics to that?? That can't be labeled as a reason to suspend someone can it? I mean if not for that was he going to get just 1 game? What the heck is that all about?

Is whoever's job it was to shut his mic off during commercial not in trouble? Dolph is guilty of spewing is own 2 cents of an opinion to his coworker when he thought he was off the air. It's not like he said Dailey totally sucks or Fran is a terrible coach. This is all during a close game that we ended up winning for peats sake. I'm not a fan of Dolph either don't get me wrong I've wished they'd have replaced him years ago I can't stand all the mistakes he makes calling games. If you've ever watched a game while trying to listen to him you'll know what I mean. But for what their doing to him for this is a mountain out of a molehill..

you are right of course. Forgot about that.

“mopkins” said:

yes, that stuck out to me too.

Is that about Dolp’s increasingly non-covert exasperation game calling? Because its not like Dolph zings hardballs at Fran.

Honestly, when I do a radio listen, I kinda like Dolph’s exasperated calls cuz the game call is not good.

If part of the Learfield contract is that announcers have to be fanboys of the head coaches well ... then Dolph knows that going in. If not, then Fran can grow a spine. Dolph is there for the fans — not the coaches.

Last edited by a moderator:
How great would that minute of air time have been if rather than Dailey's recruitment Dolph shared with us what he really thought about Barta. That could have completely rewrote the history of Dolph as a play by play guy.
Hahaha Amen. Now that'd have made things interesting. Do not pass 'GO' or collect 200 dollars Dolph would have been cleaning out his locker

I bet Dailey won't be doing any interviews with Dolph anytime soon.. Maybe any of the players depending on how they all took it and stand with Dailey.. That part of things may be interesting. Fran is a professional he and Dolph talk a lot I'm sure. But for the players that sort of thing could stick awhile...

Yeah any chance a reporter could bring that up to him and ask for some clarity/specifics to that?? That can't be labeled as a reason to suspend someone can it? I mean if not for that was he going to get just 1 game? What the heck is that all about?

Is whoever's job it was to shut his mic off during commercial not in trouble? Dolph is guilty of spewing is own 2 cents of an opinion to his coworker when he thought he was off the air. It's not like he said Dailey totally sucks or Fran is a terrible coach. This is all during a close game that we ended up winning for peats sake. I'm not a fan of Dolph either don't get me wrong I've wished they'd have replaced him years ago I can't stand all the mistakes he makes calling games. If you've ever watched a game while trying to listen to him you'll know what I mean. But for what their doing to him for this is a mountain out of a molehill..
I don't think anything happened to the person who forgot to turn off the mic. I remember when something similar happened to Marty Tirrell several years ago, the guy that didn't turn the mic off was fired.

Latest posts