Does Lickliter replace Coles at Miami, OH?

hawkIhoops

Just saw that Charlie Coles announced his retirement after the conference tourney loss. It would seem Lickliter was brought in to be the coach in waiting.

i would guess he get it, highly doubt he hires Lick as the assistant coach knowing he's probably going to retire after one year. I'm sure they probably had him as the successor in mind when he took the job.

I love Iowa as much as the next guy but why are so many fans in love with ex coaches/players? Lick may have set our program back but not sure why ppl want him to fail at a new place. Move on and forget about the past already.

I love Iowa as much as the next guy but why are so many fans in love with ex coaches/players? Lick may have set our program back but not sure why ppl want him to fail at a new place. Move on and forget about the past already.

Sorry that I don't want to give kudos to the coach who tried to give the death blow to Iowa basketball.

according to miami's ad, iowa was crazy to let the lickster go......this is his chance then to see where the rubber meets the road, i guess.

so your telling me you miss them 45-42 games?? im not one to forget sumone that tried to ruin iowa basketball...

i could actually careless if lick suck coached another game

ppl still bitter about lude moving on - and you want people to stop it about lick?? pretty tall order.

Yep you all are right, Lick came here and tried to make our bball program bad. He wanted to lose and look bad doing it... I never said I like his coaching style. He thought he could win with it and obviously couldn't here but you guys are acting like he's an ex girlfriend that may have talked bad about you 2 years after the breakup. Get over it. Or don't I guess. Just tired if seeing all these threads about him.

Far more of the kind of guys he needs to be successful around that area than what he had around here.

Kind of like Butler in Indy. When you need second tier guys, you need to have some around. They just don't produce enough in Iowa.

Last edited:
Licks a good coach but was a terrible fit here and an awful recruiter. I think he has a good chance to do well if he gets hired there. He was a nice guy and I don't cheer for nice guys to fail.

Last edited:
I have to agree with GolferGuy. If Lick had come in and turned the program around and gotten us to the dance and/or won a bunch of B1G tourney games on a regular basis, we'd be singing his praises. Lick didn't come here to fail. He came here to win.

The problem is he didn't. The players he was able to recruit/attract/keep (with a few exceptions) weren't capable of playing night in and night out in the B1G.

Now it appears he is going to get another shot at a mid-major, which is probably where he belongs. It's like football: Some coaches (Turner, Phillips, Capers, etc .. .. ) are great coordinators who suck at being a head coach. Lick is a good coach, just not at the major program level.

Good luck Lick .. .. I'm glad we have Fran.

GO HAWKS!!!

Licks a good coach but was a terrible fit here and an awful recruiter. I think he has a good chance to do well if he gets hired there. He was a nice guy and I don't chair for nice guys to fail.

Don't feel to sorry for him. Iowa is paying him a crapload of money to not coach here. He will get his last 800K payment in June. He is still one of the highest paid employees in the state of Iowa.

Licks a good coach but was a terrible fit here and an awful recruiter. I think he has a good chance to do well if he gets hired there. He was a nice guy and I don't chair for nice guys to fail.
Don't feel to sorry for him. Iowa is paying him a crapload of money to not coach here. He will get his last 800K payment in June. He is still one of the highest paid employees in the state of Iowa.

that's on Iowa not lick. lick was hired to do a job, the price he was paid was dictated by the open market. I think he's a very good coach if he finds a school that's the right fit.

Latest posts