Does Iowa have a shot at the Stokes Girl?

It seems that Bluder's recruiting has been improving dramatically in the last few years; what do you attribute that to?

Perhaps the more difficult selling job for Bluder is to win the battle with Bill Fennelly and Iowa State for 6-1 combo F/G Taylor Greenfield, another HS junior, from Ballard-Huxley in Central Iowa, and another top 50 prospect in the national rankings. One of her former teammates plays for Moo, and proximity to Ames could be a big factor, but while Fennelly has the basis for another of his usual Big-12 competitive teams, the talent level will be far below that of the Hawkeyes...with or without Stokes (but successfully recruiting Greenfield would be another huge plus getting Stokes to stay home as a Hawkeye--and Fennelly has NO CHANCE with Stokes).

Actually 2 of her former teamates play for Fennelly now (Lacey and Zimmerman). The Dixon Jensen connection from Ballard to ISU is pretty strong. If Bluder could somehow win the Greenfield battle it would be a real victory.

I believe Lisa has a real shot at Stokes with Tennessee and Stanford being the two biggest hurdles.

IIRC, she has family that does live in CT, a grandfather or great uncle. I lived in CT when Geno first was hired. It was like Fennelly at ISU.Only a few dozen fans (family of the players) the first year. Now a UCONN women's game is sold out whether its Gampel Pavilion or the Hartford Civic Center, and every women's game is broadcast throughout CT.

Nothing against Bluder, but I think this comes down to whether she wants to play with friends and be close to her folks, or be challenged like she will never be anywhere else by Geno. Not everyone responds to Geno's methods. He got back to back #1 players in the country in Maya Moore, and followed that up with Elana Delle Donne.

Moore is a three time All American, while Delle Donne left two days after she enrolled at UCONN saying she was unable at the time to uphold the level of commitment required to play for the UCONN Huskies.

I hope she comes to Iowa, as I feel Bluder has things going in the right direction. One thing the Lady Hawk need is size. Stokes would be a four year starter at Iowa, IMO.

I'm pretty sure Della Donne said that she was tired of playing basketball and had been for several years, not that she couldn't handle the UCONN system. UCONN is great and amazing, but there is no guarantee, even there. Women's basketball has gone in cycles between UCONN and Tennessee over the last 15-20 years, so I fully expect Tennessee to be the dominant force during the time that Stokes is in college. I think you can't count Tennessee out.

I'm read on a Tennessee message board a few months ago a linked article in which Stokes was quoted, and she sounded like someone who was leaning towards Iowa. Her final remark was "I've always kind of thought, like father, like daughter". I get the strong feeling she is going to be a Hawk, and that's a terrific thing to think about. I can't even imagine how much fun my senior year here at the university would be if the football team keeps up the success they're having, the wrestling team keeps winning national titles, the mens' basketball team playing competitive again, and the women's team playing national title-caliber ball.

and the women's team playing national title-caliber ball.

I know that current Hawk (Jamie Printy) and future Hawk (Jade Rodgers) are working their best to convince Kia to come join them at Iowa. That would be a great "get" for Bluder.

I know that current Hawk (Jamie Printy) and future Hawk (Jade Rodgers) are working their best to convince Kia to come join them at Iowa. That would be a great "get" for Bluder.
If and I believe when she gets Kia...Lisa becomes Vivian Cesque....she will have a very stocked cupboard and with Kia on board it will open a lot of doors that would otherwise remain closed.

Actually 2 of her former teamates play for Fennelly now (Lacey and Zimmerman). The Dixon Jensen connection from Ballard to ISU is pretty strong. If Bluder could somehow win the Greenfield battle it would be a real victory.
No, "actually" Lacey graduated at Ballard-Huxley before Greenfield got to HS. But it is certainly significant that Fennelly has long-standing ties to the program. Still, it is not that Bluder and the Iowa staff are strangers: Iowa recruited Zimmerman very aggressively and she went down to the last few days before the signing period before choosing Iowa State over Iowa.

Neither Lacey nor Zimmerman were the same atmospheric-level hyped prospect that Greenfield is. And with Alexander graduating out of the Hawkeye lineup the year before Bolte finishes at Moo U, Greenfield would have the opportunity to start as a freshman at Iowa. With the prospect of starting sooner as a Hawkeye, and with Iowa the probable superior team, with a much better chance of winning conference titles and going a long way in the NCAA tournaments IF Stokes stays home at Iowa, Bluder has a very good chance of convincing Greenfield to commit to the Hawkeyes.

My guess is that Stokes' choice will have a great deal of influence on what Greenfield does; that is, unless Stokes waits until very late to decide.

Last edited:
Thats good news on Stokes. The Greenfield family is big ISU fans, but maybe we got a shot there also.

No, "actually" Lacey graduated at Ballard-Huxley before Greenfield got to HS. But it is certainly significant that Fennelly has long-standing ties to the program. Still, it is not that Bluder and the Iowa staff are strangers: Iowa recruited Zimmerman very aggressively and she went down to the last few days before the signing period before choosing Iowa State over Iowa.

Neither Lacey nor Zimmerman were the same atmospheric-level hyped prospect that Greenfield is. And with Alexander graduating out of the Hawkeye lineup the year before Bolte finishes at Moo U, Greenfield would have the opportunity to start as a freshman at Iowa. With the prospect of starting sooner as a Hawkeye, and with Iowa the probable superior team, with a much better chance of winning conference titles and going a long way in the NCAA tournaments IF Stokes stays home at Iowa, Bluder has a very good chance of convincing Greenfield to commit to the Hawkeyes.

My guess is that Stokes' choice will have a great deal of influence on what Greenfield does; that is, unless Stokes waits until very late to decide.

Agreed, Greenfield is the best of the 3 Ballard girls and you are also correct, Lacey was gone (I was thinking her freshman year overlapped).

Zimmerman committed to ISU as a freshman in HS (youngest ever) Iowa was never in the picture at all.

Last edited:
Greg Stokes has some sweet inside moves, but one part of his game was very underrated. He played a mean game of Space Invaders.

Stoker and I would bump into each other at the Union game room often between T and Th midday classes. May be the only time I've beat an athlete of his caliber "one on one". BTW, he was a great guy...kind of a gentle giant.

I tnink that Fennelly is starting to show some chinks in his armour. He has some people bailing on him also, which creates doubt in some of the recruits minds. He might not be the marque coach that he was perceived to be.

I wonder if our chances just went up with the news of DJ joining the men's team as a walk on?

Pretty sure it helps. And actually, from an article I read back in February that was linked from a Tennessee message board, she sounded like she was leaning towards Iowa, wanting to follow in her dad's footsteps.

You have to think her brother getting a shot on the Mens team will aid her in her decision to come to Iowa.

Bluder has done really well at Iowa with very little. I cannot imagine how good the team will be if she starts landing some of the top recruits.

Don't like the tone of the article...sounds like Iowa is a maybe visit. Not that she doesn't already know the campus and coaches...I hope we get her.

The article itself is not positive. Iowa City not far for her and Kiah has friends on the team. The commitment of Logic may also play a role as Logic higher rated than Kiah.
She is visiting prestigious programs and is enttitled to make visits. Hopefully she decides to stay close to home.

I don't think it's a slight to Iowa. It's more about she knows everything there is to know about Iowa. In her mind it's more about checking out some of the other schools and comparing them to Iowa. Apparently, we're still in the hunt.

I don't think it's a slight to Iowa. It's more about she knows everything there is to know about Iowa. In her mind it's more about checking out some of the other schools and comparing them to Iowa. Apparently, we're still in the hunt.
I agree. Kiah has been nothing but accomodating and outgoing in her interviews. She has been around the school and program alot and has a very large connection to Iowa City.
Its very good that she has interest from the best programs in the country but she comes from a family that by all accounts in very grounded and comfortable in Iowa so I will go out on a limb and believe she actually has Iowa in he lead with the others hoping to overcome the pros in her Iowa column.

Latest posts