Does Fran Consider Pitt?

ssckelley

I can't help but wonder if he is considering the job. If their was ever a good opportunity to move back east now would be the time to do it before his boys start college. It would be a tough move for the boys since they are in high school, Connor will be a senior, but perhaps they'd welcome the move as well. It's a 5 hour drive from his home town (Philadelphia), an hour flight.

Thoughts?

Frans in-laws live in Minnesota. He won't try moving his wife further away from her parents if he is smart.

There was a lot of smoke in OK City this weekend about him wanting to go back east/putting his name out there... Not sure if I believe it but a lot of people were talking about it

I think Fran is a pretty sought after coach, what he has done here has been remarkable and is not unnoticed to the outside world. I hope he's happy here.

I think Fran is a pretty sought after coach, what he has done here has been remarkable and is not unnoticed to the outside world. I hope he's happy here.

Pitt would not be interested in Fran in my opinion. Dixon has done a lot more than Fran has in his career and they were ready to get rid of him. I don't think many programs would be interested in Fran unless they are looking to rebuild from scratch

Frans in-laws live in Minnesota. He won't try moving his wife further away from her parents if he is smart.

Hard to speculate what she wants but she hasn't been living in the midwest her entire life either, perhaps she prefers living on the east coast. I doubt this was Fran's main motivation for applying for Iowa in the first place.

But I don't know, I just started this for discussion purposes. I'm leaning towards he wouldn't consider it either but mainly because of his kids.

Hard to speculate what she wants but she hasn't been living in the midwest her entire life either, perhaps she prefers living on the east coast. I doubt this was Fran's main motivation for applying for Iowa in the first place.

But I don't know, I just started this for discussion purposes. I'm leaning towards he wouldn't consider it either but mainly because of his kids.

This is hard to say - it depends on the couple. My wife and I moved to FL, away from a good portion of our family, because we were sick of the cold winters. It was a tough move, but it's where we wanted to be, and after 12 years, we have no real regrets.

It just depends on what's important to Fran & Margaret.

That's a good point about their kids, though. That would likely play a big factor, but I don't know how they feel, either.

Another factor is Pitt's level of interest, as already stated.

There's a lot of if's here, so am not overly worried, but who knows.

On a side note-read where Alford gave back his one year extension to demonstrate his commitment to the UCLA program.

Pitt is hardly the "east cost." Culturally, it's more in line with the rust-belt. Fran also hasn't lived in Philly for nearly 30 years, so being a 5 hour drive from there doesn't seem like a great appeal. Unless Fran and his family miss living in a larger city, or Fran thinks there are institutional barriers to winning here (lack of resources, recruiting base, etc..), I don't see why you'd jump to a middle-class program in the well-to-do ACC.

Pitt would not be interested in Fran in my opinion. Dixon has done a lot more than Fran has in his career and they were ready to get rid of him. I don't think many programs would be interested in Fran unless they are looking to rebuild from scratch

Maybe Fran is at a point he doesn't want reclamation projects anymore. Maybe he wants to go right to a solid program and be a potential title contender. It can go both ways.

Yes, the boys is probably what plays into the decision the most, especially at the age they are at now. They are playing HS varsity level so I could see them not really interested in moving & establishing a new school team at this point, plus IC West is one of the best programs in Iowa & going to state so the success is hard to leave. Now if they were quite younger like their brother Jack or even in junior high, I could see one more move.

Pitt is a lifetime away from Philly...not in distance, but it feels that way. Tough place to coach any sport. Nice school, but you are competing for recruits regionally with Syracuse, WVU, Maryland, Ohio State and then playing Duke, Carolina and Notre Dame on the reg... it doesn't make a ton of sense unless Fran isn't happy here. Obviously a lot of fans feel the honeymoon is over but I couldn't disagree more with that.

Maybe Fran is at a point he doesn't want reclamation projects anymore. Maybe he wants to go right to a solid program and be a potential title contender. It can go both ways.

I don't doubt that but I would think Pitt would aim higher than Fran. I think Fran is a good coach but why would they go after a 56 year old coach who's never made the second weekend?

I don't doubt that but I would think Pitt would aim higher than Fran. I think Fran is a good coach but why would they go after a 56 year old coach who's never made the second weekend?

Cause there are just a ton of coaches that have made deep runs in the tourney running around unemployed?

Coaches don't have to be unemployed to be hired. UNLV is going to throw a ton of money to try and get Mick Cronin

good point, my response wasn't really fair. I'm just saying... Pitt can and probably will do worse than Fran.

I think the only job he would leave for at this point is Notre Dame or if some blue blood came calling

Latest posts