Does Fran Consider Pitt?

Gotta wonder how confident Fran is in his young guys. I feel confident in stating the majority of fans are happy with the results he has provided in the time he has been at Iowa.

With that said, we are about to enter a rebuilding year. If Fran doesn't feel he has the guys he needs to take the next step and could get a pay bump in taking a Pitt job and wants to relocate to the East Coast... who knows.

Pitt is a program that has only missed the NCAA tournament twice since 2002 and has 5 sweet sixteen appearances in that time as well and 1 final 4.

This isn't a dis on Fran as he has proved his ability to rebuild programs but I'm not sure from Pitt's eyes they are looking for a rebuilding coach. They probably feel they have had enough recent success to get a coach with a more established resume.

I don't see Fran leaving.....unless he spends a lot of time on HN after losses, then he will want to get the hell away from all of us crazy people

Gotta wonder how confident Fran is in his young guys. I feel confident in stating the majority of fans are happy with the results he has provided in the time he has been at Iowa.

With that said, we are about to enter a rebuilding year. If Fran doesn't feel he has the guys he needs to take the next step and could get a pay bump in taking a Pitt job and wants to relocate to the East Coast... who knows.

Pitt is a program that has only missed the NCAA tournament twice since 2002 and has 5 sweet sixteen appearances in that time as well and 1 final 4.

This isn't a dis on Fran as he has proved his ability to rebuild programs but I'm not sure from Pitt's eyes they are looking for a rebuilding coach. They probably feel they have had enough recent success to get a coach with a more established resume.

Remember when the Tulsa job was the stepping stone job to get before you got the big boy job. I thought Pitt was that same type of job. JD stayed a looong time following Ben Howland. After 2009 JD didn't have the tournament success prior to that, at this point Pitt is just a middle of the pack ACC school. If you are Pitt a Fran type is about as good as you are going to get.

Pitt would not be interested in Fran in my opinion. Dixon has done a lot more than Fran has in his career and they were ready to get rid of him. I don't think many programs would be interested in Fran unless they are looking to rebuild from scratch
I'd heard on the radio that it was pretty mutual between Pitt and Dixon that he leave... The newer AD their and he weren't in lock step. It wasn't to the point of firing him by any means but both sides wanted a fresh start and Dixon getting to go to his Alma Mater just made sense.

As far as Fran goes I don't see it... Even if he's on Pitts short list I don't see what little money more they'd maybe pay him be enough to lure him from what he has now.. I tend to think Fran is enjoying being 'entrenched' It's as close to it as he's been in his career so far and for him to make a sidewaysesque move when his boys are about to graduate HS and play for him just seems like something the most common guy amongst us wouldn't do. Now if there are factors behind the scenes we don't know about be it his relationship with Barta and others that'd be one thing. But I haven't heard any rumors along those lines. I tend to think he's on as solid footing as he can be and don't suspect he'd pursue any job other then maybe Notre Dame but even then the timing would have to be right.. I don't think it is yet

Remember when the Tulsa job was the stepping stone job to get before you got the big boy job. I thought Pitt was that same type of job. JD stayed a looong time following Ben Howland. After 2009 JD didn't have the tournament success prior to that, at this point Pitt is just a middle of the pack ACC school. If you are Pitt a Fran type is about as good as you are going to get.

Pitt would aim higher than Fran. Dixon is more highly regarded in the coaching world than Fran

So Pitt is going to aim higher than Fran McCaffery??? Come on, Pitt is not a school/program that can go out and get a big name coach. If someone like Fran is not interested in the job then they will be hiring a coach from a mid major or an assistant coach.

So Pitt is going to aim higher than Fran McCaffery??? Come on, Pitt is not a school/program that can go out and get a big name coach. If someone like Fran is not interested in the job then they will be hiring a coach from a mid major or an assistant coach.

They just mutually parted with a coach that is 12-11 in the NCAA Tournament. They are not going to go after a guy that has a 4-8 tournament record with two collapses in the last three years. They'd either go with an up and comer that would excite the fan base or throw money at a proven resource

I sure could see him consider Pitt if they were interested (and I doubt they are) Next year he has a team of primarily first and second year players none with the exception of Cook being highly touted recruits and none have proven anything yet. It really looks like a rebuilding job at Iowa all over again. I dont know if he has made a lot of progress getting better players in the future. Maybe but Im not overly optimistic. I guess what Im saying is that the PItt job would offer security in terms of contract length in addition to being in an area he is familiar with. Im not sure the remaining contract lenth at Iowa but I think if we are second division next year he will be on the clock

From Hawk central article, “It’s going to be a really different experience for me next year,â€￾ McCaffery said, “when I look out there and those guys aren’t here.â€￾

From Hawk central article, “It’s going to be a really different experience for me next year,â€￾ McCaffery said, “when I look out there and those guys aren’t here.â€￾

It's a little more daunting in the ACC when you consider the competition. You think Fran would want to try and compete with Duke, UNC, Louisville, and Virginia or MSU, Indiana, Wiscy, Michigan? The B1G teams listed are pretty good programs but they're not quite up there with the ACC ones.

I sure could see him consider Pitt if they were interested (and I doubt they are) Next year he has a team of primarily first and second year players none with the exception of Cook being highly touted recruits and none have proven anything yet. It really looks like a rebuilding job at Iowa all over again. I dont know if he has made a lot of progress getting better players in the future. Maybe but Im not overly optimistic. I guess what Im saying is that the PItt job would offer security in terms of contract length in addition to being in an area he is familiar with. Im not sure the remaining contract lenth at Iowa but I think if we are second division next year he will be on the clock

1. Jok has proven some things. A returning 2nd team All B1G caliber of player has proven things.
2. Almost all of Frans recruits have rankings higher now than when he first got to Iowa, including next years class and the class after that. He has 3 -4 stars in the pipeline with 1 more likely to commit in Patrick soon. None of them have proven anything yet, but then again, no other school's future recruits have either.
3. Fran is no where near a clock, he doesn't know how to read a clock, the University of Iowa isn't setting any kind of clock and next year won't determine it after losing the class he just did and going to 3 straight tournaments with 2 wins.
4. I don't know where you guys come up with this.

It's a little more daunting in the ACC when you consider the competition. You think Fran would want to try and compete with Duke, UNC, Louisville, and Virginia or MSU, Indiana, Wiscy, Michigan? The B1G teams listed are pretty good programs but they're not quite up there with the ACC ones.
What?

Latest posts