Does Brian F. get promoted to OC after the Rose Bowl???

He needs to move up. Greg Davis had a great year, and can go out knowing he left the program and offense in good shape. Brian is in line for an OC job somewhere, hopefully it is here. We really need to get our passing schemes more NFL like than they are under Greg.

With another year of CJ no way do you change now. CJ is almost a guarantee 10 win season. He's that special.

Beginning to wonder how much football you actually know, Dean. No way can you call Brian Ferentz a talented coach. Maybe a potentially talented coach is what you meant?

Exhibit A: Our running game was almost 30 yards per game better... AFTER we lost the Outland Trophy winner to graduation and have had injuries to the point we were starting redshirt freshmen and true freshmen on the line this year. I'd say that's good coaching.

No!!!!!

Kirk is a loyalist and since the offense did well this year there is absolutely no way he gets rid of Greg. The only way Greg leaves is if he decides to retire.

I believe Greg also played a big hand in getting CJ to come to Iowa.

Idk, if Greg Davis is really thinking of retiring, now would be a great time to go out on top. He has been around enough to not be fooled into thinking you can have this type of season every year. This year was special. It would be a great time to walk away.

Of course if Davis has no desire to retire, then how could Kirk fire him?

I took heat last year for saying that we should get to living or get to dying (so to speak) at the OC position. I was all for Brian last year, untested and everything. If you listen to the players a big part of the run game improvement is that Brian has ALL the unit together in the meetings (IE Running backs, OL, etc.). I think he is basically a defacto Co offensive coordinator already. I also think part of the gig for Greg was to basically mentor Brian to get him ready for the OC spot.

Two reason I think/hope it will happen this offseason:
1) As I just mentioned above, that has been the plan all along for Brain to take over.
2) Why not hand the keys over to Brian when the offense will be fully functional and has the best chance to not only succeed, but flourish?

This year wasn't a success BECAUSE of Greg Davis, it was a success because of the players on the field. Greg is a good coach, and OC (Think Jake Rudock), but Brian in the future and is sitting on the bench and we aren't fully utilizing his talents right now (Think CJ Beathard).

I've felt good or bad, this was Davis' swan song season all year. Guess we will find out.

I could see roles switching in a way, Davis staying around to coach QB's to stay in the football scene (since he enjoys it) and Ferentz taking the reigns, but that assumes that Davis still loves football but feels like he can't put in the time anymore to be OC.

Get people who can recruit because after next year we lose a lot. This next class will determine if Kirk rides into the sunset or limps into the bushes.

Wait a minute. After Davis fought to get CJ as QB? After Davis fought for some viable runners at tailback with plays to go with those runners, some of you posters are saying he might think about hanging up his career? After one season??? Wishful thinking on some posters' parts. If Davis is going to teach Brian about offense, he's going to teach him his way. Not KF's way. I guarantee Davis will be around a while longer. And Brian (and CJ) will be better for his tutelage.

Last edited:
Davis isn't going to take a lessor role... He's already sat out a year or so after Texas fired him. He's either going to retire or coach CJs senior year. Which I think he'll do and then retire. I don't think BF is going anywhere as he'll get to be OC after next yr. Then possibly HC 2 to 4 yrs after that depending how the dominos fall.

Good players do make coaches look better. But players also improve and grow, when given the opportunity instead of being "coached down" to be game managers and play "not to lose".

Let's hope that this year represents a bit of a change in how KFz sees the QB position...and that it continues.

Wait a minute. After Davis fought to get CJ as QB? After Davis fought for some viable runners at tailback with plays to go with those runners, some of you posters are saying he might think about hanging up his career? After one season??? Wishful thinking on some posters' parts. If Davis is going to teach Brian about offense, he's going to teach him his way. Not KF's way. I guarantee Davis will be around a while longer. And Brian (and CJ) will be better for his tutelage.

Good God.....well at least we can add to the lies that you advance around here......to go along with the Wegher lie you spew all the time, now we got the Davis wanted CJ crap and you are now going with Davis wanted a different RB, AFTER he played a FB at RB for 3 years.

Dude you might be the first person EVER to get put on my ignore list. The crap that you post is dumb at best and lies at worst....

Iowa needs a couple of deep threats at WR. That'd render the offense lethal. Beat Hard is an exceptional QB. Weaponize him

Get people who can recruit because after next year we lose a lot. This next class will determine if Kirk rides into the sunset or limps into the bushes.

Given this year and hopefully next it is pretty much assured KF will ride off into the sunset no matter what. It would take an epic scandal for that not to happen.

No!!!!!

Kirk is a loyalist and since the offense did well this year there is absolutely no way he gets rid of Greg. The only way Greg leaves is if he decides to retire.

I believe Greg also played a big hand in getting CJ to come to Iowa.

Not to get all technical, but did want to set the record straight here.....KOK was the one that got CJ to Iowa after he decommitted from Ole Miss. Then, the day after signing day, KOK leaves for Miami. Greg inherited CJ.

Dean, to be fair, last year this is a true statement. This year not so much.

Davis offense didn't change, we just had a better QB running it and better RB totting the rock. Davis offense is what it is, a horizontal passing game, whereas KOK had more vertical downfield passing.

I just think with our power running game, we need targets downfield to loosen up the defense.

I believe that if Davis wants the OC job and title, he'll have it. At least for next year. The offense performed well and there's no reason to make a change with what is coming back.

Having said that, I'm a little concerned with everyone setting BFerentz up as the heir apparent to take over. Don't get me wrong, I believe him to be a good coach and would not be surprised (or disappointed) to see him wind up as the next HC.

But outside of three years as a low level assistant with the New England Patriots, where else has he coached? IMHO, he should leave Iowa for a D-II or low level DI (FCS) coordinator or (preferably) head coaching position. Hey .. his dad spent three years as the head coach at Maine.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!