Does anyone think they can turn it around?

Trying to stay positive but it looks like this thing is only going to get worse. We have played 5 teams that really were not very good with maybe NDS being the best! How do you "correct" the problems we have? There are so many. It just feels like Ferentz has lost this team if he ever had it. So someone come up with some positives.

Seems like we run better straight ahead inside the tackles so focus the running game on that with some jet sweep and reverse action. Simplify the passing game and take some shots down the field.

Some other posters have good ideas like blitzing but I think just some blitzes up the middle and covering gaps. I would move the safeties closer to the LOS because now they are guarding grass most of the time.

The Defensive ends need to hold the edge yet crash down on the run better.

We have the talent to turn it around but I think there's locker room issues going on. Only way to explain a loss to a team like Northwestern when we obviously have better players

You can't fix slow, soft, no heart, and lack of talent. On top of that, piss poor coaching.. Our schedule gets tougher now, and the teams we have played already are flat out awful football teams, and we were pushed around in all but one of those games. NDst wasn't awful, but they aren't good either. To the people saying blitz more.. Have you seen us blitz? More often than not its a disaster. This is going to get much, much worse as the season goes on.

I don't just think they will turn it around. I KNOW THEY WILL!!!!!! The turnaround is going to be so amazing, believe me! Incredible, stupendous, the biggest turnaround in history. Just watch.

This does not have near enough likes. #IseeWhatYouDidThere

Special teams. Iowa is 22 and 15 in punt and KO return yds respectively. I think King gets a TD to keep a game close that shouldn't be.

No.
We've been beaten by two of the easier opponents on our schedule already and were outplayed in two of our wins, also against a weak opponent. We've played one game this year looking like the team we all thought we'd see in 2016. Many of the flaws we continue to see; such as our defense unable to get off the field and being worn down is by our bend but don't break philosophy, and our don't blintz, don't stunt belief. Our offense is equally as bad, which shouldn't be overly surprising when Greg Davis is your OC.
Coaches keep putting the blame on players point to penalties and missed tackles, and while those are issues as well, it's a coaching philosophy issue, because there's no reason why we should be 3-2 and outgained from a yardage standpoint in 4 of 5 games thus far if it were about the players. We have more talent than our 5 opponents so far and it's not even close.

Ummm, blintzes, arrrgh.

Stick a fork in em there done! It's really hard to watch. There's no desire no sense of urgency. The QB looks better than the statue of liberty. Heck I even know what play is coming next and I'm stupid. Will keep on watching and wearing my Hawk gear and I'm ready for all the grief coming my way. Hope they can turn it around and make me even more stupid than I am. Go Hawks!

Nope....poor recruiting and odds against everything falling our way finally caught up to us, Damn last year....wish it NEVER happened!!!

Can they? They can if there's enough want to.

Will they? No. They have lost two games they shouldn't have lost.
I had them 5-0 through five. 5-2 in the back stretch. No reason to think that Minnie-Wisky-Mich-PSU-Nebby was 3-2 minimum.

Now to go 5-0 in those? HA.

Last Saturday really hurt. I am hopeful but have seen nothing to be confident they can improve in as many ways is that is needed.

Last week was my barometer on a turnaround.

While I think NDSU might actually be just that good, NW is an average team, not bad, but average. That average team looked better in most phases, outside of 1 quarter.

Its not just about winning on Saturday. for me, it's about seeing improvement in playcalling, and about 3-4 key positions.

I don't recall an Iowa team that had this many holes 5 games in. The biggest issues, that are easily fixable without needed any better talent is formations(help your LT Davis!), playcalling, presnap penalties, and tackling(wrap your arms for christ sake). Helll, fixing just those mental errors would be a good start, and would have us at 5-0(likely). It's still not enough to win the West...but start there and get a win.

I don't just think they will turn it around. I KNOW THEY WILL!!!!!! The turnaround is going to be so amazing, believe me! Incredible, stupendous, the biggest turnaround in history. Just watch.

TRUMP? Is that you?

Donald you forgot "It's going to be HUGE." :D

It is difficult to make significant changes mid-season. At this point, there may be 2 things that can be done to help stem the tide:

1. On defense, blitz and stunt more.

2. On offense, move the pocket to give C.J. more time. Need to see more play-action and rollouts.
Wow!!! You nailed it!!! LOL....2 of the TD passes that NW threw were on 'blitzes'!!! LOL. And where would you like them to 'move' the pocket to? LOL.....Do you really expect anyone to take you seriously??? If you do, don't tell us, contact Phil Parker and Greg Davis....they will love to hear your 'expert' OPINIONS.... LOL.....phil-parker@hawkeyefootball.com and gregory-davis@hawkeyefootball.com

the offense IS fixable if the coaches are willing to do what's needed. The defense is another story

Did the Americans quit when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor? No. Will IckeHawk ever become less of a Douchebag? No.

Well, then I don't think it's over yet. I think we play at least 12 games minimum.

Latest posts