Does anyone think they can turn it around?

longtimer

Trying to stay positive but it looks like this thing is only going to get worse. We have played 5 teams that really were not very good with maybe NDS being the best! How do you "correct" the problems we have? There are so many. It just feels like Ferentz has lost this team if he ever had it. So someone come up with some positives.

It is difficult to make significant changes mid-season. At this point, there may be 2 things that can be done to help stem the tide:

1. On defense, blitz and stunt more.

2. On offense, move the pocket to give C.J. more time. Need to see more play-action and rollouts.

Not to be pessimistic but Wisconsin and Michigan are going to steal our souls and put this program in a dark spot for a long time

I think they have the capacity to turn it around. We will know in the first quarter on Saturday whether they have. It's that simple. This season is hardly over, it's within they're control. Another lackluster performance on Saturday, and they've probably lost a good percentage of fans for the year. A solid performance with a win, and they can regain their momentum, and support. It's on them. Will they meet the challenge? I can't wait to see what they're made of. This is the most important game of the year - the season really hangs in the balance for them.

Hope so. Their season hinges on it. Lose Saturday and the WILL NOT make a bowl. They'll only be playing for personal pride and trying to ruin another's season and, so far, their pride hasn't been on display, much.

It is difficult to make significant changes mid-season. At this point, there may be 2 things that can be done to help stem the tide:

1. On defense, blitz and stunt more.

2. On offense, move the pocket to give C.J. more time. Need to see more play-action and rollouts.

I still think this is one of the biggest fallacies about the game. It's f-ing football, not a nuclear reaction. There's all sorts of opportunities and time over 5 days to institute many changes. The biggest obstacle, which, unfortunately, is inherent in Iowa football, is they lack the courage and motivation to change.

So, I'll qualify your comment ... for derKirkFeravis ... absolutely.

I'm as big of a Homer as there is but we very easily lose out. I don't think we will but the easiest part of the schedule has passed.

I think we lose to the Goofers
Purdue is a win after they put up a good fight.
Whiskey is a loss
Penn State I think is a toss up
Michigan is gonna be an embarrassing beat down on national TV.
Illinois is a loss
Corner holers are playing for a better bowl by now and we get whacked yet again on national TV again.

Man I hope I'm wrong

Other than Purdue, Minnie is the weakest team we have left. I kind of agree, no W this week no bowl

We suck and no way to sugarcoat it.

Can we turn it around? Is still in the realm of possibilities. Our skill level overall is better than we are playing, no doubt.

Will we turn it around? I think we do not have sufficient leadership ability within coaching ranks mostly, and not quite sure about the player ranks.

I hope I am wrong about their ability to turn it around. Long season for all of us if they cannot begin to at least improve from week to week.

I hope they do. But I am not expecting it. 5 games it, you are what you are.

Yes they can have fewer stupid penalties but the lack of physical play on D, the bad tackling, the slow reads, the linebackers getting swallowed up... I don't see that changing unless there is new coaching.

I hope they do. But I am not expecting it.

In my heart I want to see them pull a 2008 rabbit out of their hat but with the energy I have seen my gut is telling me that this is going to be a repeat of 2012. Question for you all, who falls farther MSU or us?

So someone come up with some positives.

1. Recruiting - Even if we lose Calloway I think we can keep Eno & AJ, and have some other nice pieces in this class. Still have a shot at Martin. Things can change but I'm confident this will be a pretty strong class, even if we lose a couple.

2. Remaining Schedule - I think we have more talent than Minny, Pur, ILL, and PSU. If we play well we can win all four of those games. UW, UM, & Neb are all home games, maybe we have an upset up our sleeves.

3. Basketball season - is less than 40 days away. We may not have the best team this year, but at least we will be fun to watch. Ohh, and we have a coach that at the very least will put the best players on the floor and is willing to adjust to his roster and changes in the game.

POSITIVITY!!

No.
We've been beaten by two of the easier opponents on our schedule already and were outplayed in two of our wins, also against a weak opponent. We've played one game this year looking like the team we all thought we'd see in 2016. Many of the flaws we continue to see; such as our defense unable to get off the field and being worn down is by our bend but don't break philosophy, and our don't blintz, don't stunt belief. Our offense is equally as bad, which shouldn't be overly surprising when Greg Davis is your OC.
Coaches keep putting the blame on players point to penalties and missed tackles, and while those are issues as well, it's a coaching philosophy issue, because there's no reason why we should be 3-2 and outgained from a yardage standpoint in 4 of 5 games thus far if it were about the players. We have more talent than our 5 opponents so far and it's not even close.

I hope they do. But I am not expecting it. 5 games it, you are what you are.

Yes they can have fewer stupid penalties but the lack of physical play on D, the bad tackling, the slow reads, the linebackers getting swallowed up... I don't see that changing unless there is new coaching.

I hope they do. But I am not expecting it.

We are what we are, but these same players played way better last year.