Does anyone think that Fran complaining about the Portal help Iowa?

Sure but the nuance to what Fran is complaining about isn't just that. He's complaining about kids shopping themselves with agents prior to getting in the portal. I get it but it's damn near unenforceable. Look at all the crap Bill Self had done at Kansas and just recently got his slap on the wrist. The NCAA is toothless and this is an industry wide thing. On top of this just making Fran look hypocritical with how coaches play the game too.
I'm guilty of forgetting the original context of your post. I hate when people do that. My bad, please carry on.

So you don't comprehend that when Fran was at Sienna still under contract he had his agent shop him around for other jobs just a yr after having signed an extension and then take the Iowa job? All of which has been common practice within the industry forever.

It's the exact same thing he's complaining about players doing now. Kids shopping themselves to other schools with an agent/parent intermediary while not in the portal yet.... Sorry not sorry but it's damn near the same thing and is what it is.
Keep digging…

Keep digging…
His point is true though. College athletes aren't amateurs anymore. They are legally getting paid to perform a service. Thinking they shouldn't or won't use the same tools as other professionals (i.e. agents, etc) isn't realistic. The NCAA for revenue sports is obsolete and has no power anymore, nor should it.

You think the NCAA is going to pull a kid's eligibility for hiring an agent before entering the portal and deal with that lawsuit hell? No way. They've even said they've washed their hands of it. The genie is outta the bottle and there's no putting it back in.

The NCAA is like the British monarchy. Used to have power and abused that power, but rational people won over and made them nothing but a toothless lion that the old folks keep around for pomp and circumstance.

The NCAA is like the British monarchy. Used to have power and abused that power, but rational people won over and made them nothing but a toothless lion that the old folks keep around for pomp and circumstance.
Or like IBM and mainframes. They're still out there but are limited to a few specific companies/industries.

His point is true though. College athletes aren't amateurs anymore. They are legally getting paid to perform a service. Thinking they shouldn't or won't use the same tools (i.e. agents, etc) isn't realistic. The NCAA for revenue sports is obsolete and has no power anymore, nor should it.

You think the NCAA is going to pull a kid's eligibility for hiring an agent before entering the portal and deal with that lawsuit hell? No way. They've even said they've washed their hands of it. The genie is outta the bottle and there's no putting it back in.

Fran either needs to play the game or get played... Bitching about it isn't going to accomplish anything at all. Like what magic rule assuming it'd even be enforceable would he like to have implemented? Why is it when he spouts off something like he did he's not rebutted with that simple question?

Fran either needs to play the game or get played... Bitching about it isn't going to accomplish anything at all. Like what magic rule assuming it'd even be enforceable would he like to have implemented? Why is it when he spouts off something like he did he's not rebutted with that simple question?
Don't get me wrong I love Fran. But I don't really think it's cheating if the rule isn't enforced and everyone knows it's not going to be enforced. Sometimes "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" is the right way to go.

As long as he's not luring players with hookers and blow or recruiting guys with sketchy character let it fly.

His point is true though. College athletes aren't amateurs anymore. They are legally getting paid to perform a service. Thinking they shouldn't or won't use the same tools as other professionals (i.e. agents, etc) isn't realistic. The NCAA for revenue sports is obsolete and has no power anymore, nor should it.

I don’t disagree with anything you said.

They cant even find good refs for a national title game...

Yes, complain to your wife but play the game. No choice unless you had enough of the sport. If it's about being uncomfortable with the new reality there's always high school coaching.

Hard hitting opinion, thanks for your input.
It was to the point. Fran coaches a "team" with several 2 or 3 game stretches each year now, that are great fun. That is his style.We had them this year. Had Luka and Keegan as examples of our Hawks. Still could not land a"big"! A big this year makes a difference. Fran will never get to Next step? No D... Defense creates toughness when games get tough.Ask Kenyon.

It was to the point. Fran coaches a "team" with several 2 or 3 game stretches each year now, that are great fun. That is his style.We had them this year. Had Luka and Keegan as examples of our Hawks. Still could not land a"big"! A big this year makes a difference. Fran will never get to Next step? No D... Defense creates toughness when games get tough.Ask Kenyon.
He didn't have NIL in place to get a big last year, I can't put that too much on Fran. How much can you step up when every other place is paying players and you're not? Iowa is not competing well in basketball NIL from most accounts but this year they landed what was consider a top 5 Big available in the portal

Last year should have been a rebuilding year, after losing a top 5 NBA player and the most dynamic 3 point shooter in school history, but it wasn't.

The year before that should have been a rebuild year, because Iowa lost Luka Garza, arguably the best player to ever lace em up and they also lost Joe Wieskamp to the NBA, but it wasn't.

Iowa has 2 four stars coming in the next class and some decent pieces to build around that have experience. By most accounts, next year could be one of Fran's best classes, so I believe Luka and Keegan and Kris have all helped recruiting. It's not enough though, Iowa needs money

He didn't have NIL in place to get a big last year, I can't put that too much on Fran. How much can you step up when every other place is paying players and you're not? Iowa is not competing well in basketball NIL from most accounts but this year they landed what was consider a top 5 Big available in the portal

Last year should have been a rebuilding year, after losing a top 5 NBA player and the most dynamic 3 point shooter in school history, but it wasn't.

The year before that should have been a rebuild year, because Iowa lost Luka Garza, arguably the best player to ever lace em up and they also lost Joe Wieskamp to the NBA, but it wasn't.

Iowa has 2 four stars coming in the next class and some decent pieces to build around that have experience. By most accounts, next year could be one of Fran's best classes, so I believe Luka and Keegan and Kris have all helped recruiting. It's not enough though, Iowa needs money
I think Fran might have finally gotten the point guard he's been needing too.

Valid Points....but DEFENSE wins that 2 or 3 games no? We have all played sports. Defense = attitude= The dog getting beat ok. But defense creates toughness or another Chance. Dog can try again. Anyway Catlin Lisa will get what is needed. If anything..Hawks tough. Waay cool fans. Best

Valid Points....but DEFENSE wins that 2 or 3 games no? We have all played sports. Defense = attitude= The dog getting beat ok. But defense creates toughness or another Chance. Dog can try again. Anyway Catlin Lisa will get what is needed. If anything..Hawks tough. Waay cool fans. Best
I can smell the Stroh's and cigarette smoke in your posts.

I think Bowen will make a huge jump this year and I am totally intrigued about Harding.
To piggyback on the other thread about star ratings, Harding was named the best basketball player in a state of 13 million people, 24/7 has him as a three star and the #7 player in Illinois, and 24/7 doesn't even have him rated, AND his page on Rivals has football game tape of a different kid named Brock Harding. These services are so stupid.

To piggyback on the other thread about star ratings, Harding was named the best basketball player in a state of 13 million people, 24/7 has him as a three star and the #7 player in Illinois, and 24/7 doesn't even have him rated, AND his page on Rivals has football game tape of a different kid named Brock Harding. These services are so stupid.
Thats terrible. 2 months ago maybe. But how can they still be that far off? I might have to do some looking into previous Illinois Mr Basketballs. I bet it's a really impressive list.

I think Bowen will make a huge jump this year and I am totally intrigued about Harding.
Bowen looked like he was going to be really good at times last year. Then other times he looked really bad. It's gotta be a tough spot to not feel confident in your role tho.

Latest posts