Does anyone think that Fran complaining about the Portal help Iowa?

dahlhawk

Fran is complaining about agents representing players in the portal. He stated the NCAA messed things up. I for one don't think it helps for him to complain about this. Most likely it will push players away and makes him look like a poor loser in the recruiting game. Players see these comments.

Meh, not all players will react negatively to the comments. Sometimes it's refreshing to hear somebody be honest about how they really feel. Fran is no phony.

If anything it’s an indictment that Fran isn’t accepting to the new way of doing things, which isn’t great. I love Fran but if he’s not going to play the game we’re in trouble.

Rob alluded to Fran and big donors not seeing eye to eye, maybe this type of thing is an indication that they’re not on the same page. NIL ain’t going anywhere and it’s only going to get more competitive. Guys need to either embrace it fully or retire, which is honorable and there’s no shame in.

A coach nowadays not going fully in on NIL is no different than a player being lazy in practice. Can’t have it.

If anything it’s an indictment that Fran isn’t accepting to the new way of doing things, which isn’t great. I love Fran but if he’s not going to play the game we’re in trouble.

Rob alluded to Fran and big donors not seeing eye to eye, maybe this type of thing is an indication that they’re not on the same page. NIL ain’t going anywhere and it’s only going to get more competitive. Guys need to either embrace it fully or retire, which is honorable and there’s no shame in.

A coach nowadays not going fully in on NIL is no different than a player being lazy in practice. Can’t have it.
I hate to see the moneyed boosters calling the shots too though.

I hate to see the moneyed boosters calling the shots too though.
It's the world we're in now and the genie's out of the bottle. No way to put it back.

Programs have to either keep up or fall by the wayside.

As fans we have the same choice. We can either accept it and embrace it, or stop watching and take up a new hobby during the times we normally spent watching and following college sports. Either way it's not going to change back to the way it was or anything resembling it.

His comments neither help nor hurt. His actions, and those of Iowa's boosters, will determine the program's fate. He either figures out how to play the new game or he doesn't, as Fry said, its just reality now.

Fran's sentiment is by no means isolated. Lot's of higher profile coaches have basically said similar things to the media. But, its one thing to not like the current system, its another to refuse to play within it. By many accounts NIL drove Coach K, Boheim, and Wright out of coaching. They won't be the last casualities.

Adjust or perish....

I also suspect there are going to be a species of coaches that somewhat buck the NIL trend by deciding to just be a developmental program. You bring in four 3-star kids a year that don't demand much, if any NIL money out of high school. You develop and coach them up, and if they have a breakout year, you just live with the fact that you will lose them to a school that will pay for their talents, but you have the next man up ready to replace them. Sort of like the Royals baseball model (which usually does not work, but they had that one run with Hosmer/Perez/Moustakis that worked)

If you think about it, it is not that far off of the Kentucky 1 and done model. You basically are counting on 1 good year from a player and hope that you get a team to come together all at once every few years to chase a title.

Not saying Fran will do this, but it is an approach that some may take.

I think Fran has fully embraced the portal. Krikke was considered a top 5 big in the portal.

He doesn't embrace cheating and I am fine with it. I've never seen one instance where Fran isn't changing with the times. Every interview he acknowledges that he needs to get his guys paid. Every interview he's done said that he understands and is supportive of NIL.

I think it's more likely that Fran is frustrated by the NIL support not being there even though the program is as healthy as it's been in 20 years.

If I were Fran, I'd rather finish out my years at a school that is actively trying to get better at the NIL game.

IMO, more of an Iowa thing then a Fran thing.

Lots of support for “adjusting“ to this very radical change in college sports. OK. However, radical changes, historically, often have been followed by a series of counter moves to correct unintended consequences, or outright wrong headed decisions. Lots of black and white views out there. Buy in 100% on NIL or die.
NIL is a new child in line for nurture May be a better long term view.

On Fran’s reaction, and he is not the only one, good for him. And, as usual, mind readers seem to know what Fran plans to do in the meantime, and it will destroy Iowa basketball! However, He didn‘t just fall off the turnip truck. In the meantime, go ahead and continue the old dog, no new tricks routine, along with submission to the old black or white mentality.

I think Fran has fully embraced the portal. Krikke was considered a top 5 big in the portal.

He doesn't embrace cheating and I am fine with it. I've never seen one instance where Fran isn't changing with the times. Every interview he acknowledges that he needs to get his guys paid. Every interview he's done said that he understands and is supportive of NIL.

I think it's more likely that Fran is frustrated by the NIL support not being there even though the program is as healthy as it's been in 20 years.

If I were Fran, I'd rather finish out my years at a school that is actively trying to get better at the NIL game.

Good take.

I don't think this is a thing to be calling out publicly and think it'll help anything no. It is what it is. If Fran is doing it to try and prevent agents from hitting him up while kids aren't even in the portal yet I suppose I get that. But he's on a slippery slope.

Coaches are used to the parents of players basically acting as agents on kids behalves already. That's been a thing forever. To have actual agents who are more bottom line driven streamlines things I don't think is bad. His main argument is the timing of it. But this is where he and other coaches look like hypocrites. He's not down with agents shopping kids while not in the portal and currently at a school.

Well what'd his agent do for him just a yr after getting a new deal at Sienna and having a great season? I don't think Iowa went to him first to gauge his interest. His agent working on his behalf was putting his name out there for open jobs is typically how that works. I don't think Fran or other coaches typically resign from their current jobs before they start eyeballing other ones. Hell no bird in the hand. It's no different for kids. So until there's a 'transfer portal' for coaches that they to abide by the rules to they may not want to be going down this road Fran is.

Fran has stated that he isn't going to give more money to kids coming out of the portal, than what the established guys, 2-3 years into program are already getting. Even though that is admirable, not sure that is realistic. The frustration for SOME is that Fran seems to be pretty rigid on this.

Already complained in 2022. Saw it coming than just make the best of it and pipe down publicly. More complaining 5 days ago is not a good sign. Obviously not happy with how it is going. He doesn't turn red and give the stares of death when the team is up 25 and he doubt he would keep complaining if it was going great as far as NIL.

Fran is complaining about agents representing players in the portal. He stated the NCAA messed things up. I for one don't think it helps for him to complain about this. Most likely it will push players away and makes him look like a poor loser in the recruiting game. Players see these comments.
Fran did an interview with Chad Liestekow of the DMR. There are several misconceptions in this thread by some posters. He does not say he is not in favor of NIL. He is all for players being compensated. What he is upset about is teams paying-for-play, which is not supposed to be allowed. And he isn't upset with those teams that are doing that, he is upset with the NCAA for sitting back and doing nothing about it.

The players that Fran thinks fit into his system are going elsewhere for more $$. We've already seen this happen a coupe of times recently. In his mind, the NCAA has created this and now they can't do anything about it.

Calling out players suggesting they have agents, which they probable do, isn't going to bring them to Iowa. Iowa so far has one player. Lost out on at least 4. That's probable normal, but a lot of these teams Iowa is losing to are not exactly blue-blood. Fran can talk to the NCAA directly, keep it out of the media.

Fran has stated that he isn't going to give more money to kids coming out of the portal, than what the established guys, 2-3 years into program are already getting. Even though that is admirable, not sure that is realistic. The frustration for SOME is that Fran seems to be pretty rigid on this.
Wow! Fran is showing favoritism to loyal recruits who have been part of the program? Fire Fran!

Kind of the chicken and the egg thing. If players are good enough, aka Clark, they will get paid. Iowa has had some very good players lately. I'm sure they got their share of NIL. Incoming players want the NIL now. Something has to give. If the asking price is too high for Iowa we will have to become that developmental school which will be grooming players to play and lose them after a break out year. Like a JUCO. It's a choice.

Fran did an interview with Chad Liestekow of the DMR. There are several misconceptions in this thread by some posters. He does not say he is not in favor of NIL. He is all for players being compensated. What he is upset about is teams paying-for-play, which is not supposed to be allowed. And he isn't upset with those teams that are doing that, he is upset with the NCAA for sitting back and doing nothing about it.

The players that Fran thinks fit into his system are going elsewhere for more $$. We've already seen this happen a coupe of times recently. In his mind, the NCAA has created this and now they can't do anything about it.
Or NCAA won’t do anything about it. They are gutless and impotent. Thanks for clarification of what Fran actually said. I will remind other posters to examine other sources for their information. HN is by nature too closed minded.

I have a tough time jiving those things. Because either you're for NIL and the players playing the open market or you're not. You can't have the one and it not be this way. It's America and capitalism is what rules the day. Coaches don't usually take the 2nd 3rd or 4th highest offer they get either. Coaches and folks need to just get over the whole 'it's not supposed to be pay for play' jazz because it just is. Bitching won't change how players decide where they go. I'd rather our coach not be a hypocritical whiner about it and just land some difference making recruits/transfers.

Latest posts