Does anyone think that Fran complaining about the Portal help Iowa?

Kind of the chicken and the egg thing. If players are good enough, aka Clark, they will get paid. Iowa has had some very good players lately. I'm sure they got their share of NIL. Incoming players want the NIL now. Something has to give. If the asking price is too high for Iowa we will have to become that developmental school which will be grooming players to play and lose them after a break out year. Like a JUCO. It's a choice.
Oh Iowa is on the menu, and NIL isn't going to change that. They have been for some time. See Isiah Moss and CJ Frederick. That was before NIL. I think they actually have a better shot of keeping those guys now with NIL to entice them to stay.

Kind of the chicken and the egg thing. If players are good enough, aka Clark, they will get paid. Iowa has had some very good players lately. I'm sure they got their share of NIL. Incoming players want the NIL now. Something has to give. If the asking price is too high for Iowa we will have to become that developmental school which will be grooming players to play and lose them after a break out year. Like a JUCO. It's a choice.
Yup absolutely. And I'll also add it's about need and leverage. If say Iowa needs a ball handling PG to put them over the top. But 3 other blue bloods do too and they get in a bidding war over say 1 kid. All of a sudden a PG who may not be all that great but he's the best there is on the market is sitting pretty to get 'overpaid'.

Fran seems reluctant (or the collective just can't) win those kind of battles right now. We are settling for Valpo and Wofford transfers to hopefully come instead of some of the other kids out there. Till Iowa ponies up with the big boys they'll keep losing this part of the arms race.

Fran has stated that he isn't going to give more money to kids coming out of the portal, than what the established guys, 2-3 years into program are already getting. Even though that is admirable, not sure that is realistic. The frustration for SOME is that Fran seems to be pretty rigid on this.
He did say that at the start of things, but I think he's since shifted but I could be wrong. I think that was at the top of all of this but last summer bit him and now I've gotten the impression from interviews I've heard him on that he knows that ship has sailed and it will take NIL money to get the players we need.

Oh Iowa is on the menu, and NIL isn't going to change that. They have been for some time. See Isiah Moss and CJ Frederick. That was before NIL. I think they actually have a better shot of keeping those guys now with NIL to entice them to stay.
Not so sure with either of those examples. Moss went to Kansas and Iowa isn't wining a recruiting NIL battle with them. He ended up coming off the bench for them playing limited mins so staying at Iowa and starting normally should've enticed him to stay but he was chasing a title too. I'd be interested to know more about his line of thinking. He originally said yes to Arkansas before changing his mind.

And CJ was going home to blue blooded KY that just so happened to really need a shooter at the time. Just the going home part to his favorite team growing up woulda been tough to compete with. I bet his uncle made friends with KYs bag man at the time too.

I get you're point though at least with NIL Iowa and all schools can at least counter offer and see where they stand.

Not so sure with either of those examples. Moss went to Kansas and Iowa isn't wining a recruiting NIL battle with them. He ended up coming off the bench for them playing limited mins so staying at Iowa and starting normally should've enticed him to stay but he was chasing a title too. I'd be interested to know more about his line of thinking. He originally said yes to Arkansas before changing his mind.

And CJ was going home to blue blooded KY that just so happened to really need a shooter at the time. Just the going home part to his favorite team growing up woulda been tough to compete with. I bet his uncle made friends with KYs bag man at the time too.

I get you're point though at least with NIL Iowa and all schools can at least counter offer and see where they stand.
Yeah, at least we can counter now, but Iowa has been on the menu here as of late and I think both Moss and CJ are excellent examples. Neither would have got a sniff from KS or KY without Fran developing them into players that DID interests those programs. Meaning, we're on the menu. Meaning, Iowa opens that door for them. It was bad before NIL, it's going to be worse now. Our best players every year are going to be subject to moving for money.

I mean, if Hunter Dickinson can leave Michigan, I am sure Luka Garza could have left Iowa. Do the Murray's stay here if they weren't legacies? Unless they have deep ties to Iowa or the McCaffery's, I will be worried our best Sophomore and Juniors could leave every year and I think that will be pretty much the way I will feel moving forward forever.

Every year, Iowa's best and brightest players will be subject to leave. I am pretty sure a lot of people speculated Tony Perkins could leave. I didn't see that since he seemed really tight with the Mac's...but ya never know, money talks.

Every year, Iowa's best and brightest players will be subject to leave. I am pretty sure a lot of people speculated Tony Perkins could leave. I didn't see that since he seemed really tight with the Mac's...but ya never know, money talks.
What could Caitlin get on the open market in NIL? More than she can with the Swarm I bet.

Altho, I am sure she'll be right up there with Angel for top NIL earners in women's basketball next year.

Yeah, at least we can counter now, but Iowa has been on the menu here as of late and I think both Moss and CJ are excellent examples. Neither would have got a sniff from KS or KY without Fran developing them into players that DID interests those programs. Meaning, we're on the menu. Meaning, Iowa opens that door for them. It was bad before NIL, it's going to be worse now. Our best players every year are going to be subject to moving for money.

I mean, if Hunter Dickinson can leave Michigan, I am sure Luka Garza could have left Iowa. Do the Murray's stay here if they weren't legacies? Unless they have deep ties to Iowa or the McCaffery's, I will be worried our best Sophomore and Juniors could leave every year and I think that will be pretty much the way I will feel moving forward forever.

This why women's basketball is making inroads and growing in popularity. The stars have to stay until they are a certain age. NBA won't make the same commitment. The players are staying long enough for fans to get attached. Of course the portal is changing this, but they can't bolt for the WNBA. I'm worried ever season about every starter and commitment. Look at Proctor. Hard to get attached to players always on the move. I can complain here on the site but I don't have any answers. I know Fran is trying his best and it's hard, I just don't want him or Barta, complaining publicly about Iowa's problems.

I have a tough time jiving those things. Because either you're for NIL and the players playing the open market or you're not. You can't have the one and it not be this way. It's America and capitalism is what rules the day. Coaches don't usually take the 2nd 3rd or 4th highest offer they get either. Coaches and folks need to just get over the whole 'it's not supposed to be pay for play' jazz because it just is. Bitching won't change how players decide where they go. I'd rather our coach not be a hypocritical whiner about it and just land some difference making recruits/transfers.
I don’t even know where to start in explaining how wrong I think you are in this post. I will say that drawing comparisons between a college player and a division 1 head coach is on deck for dumbest comparison of the year.

What could Caitlin get on the open market in NIL? More than she can with the Swarm I bet.

Altho, I am sure she'll be right up there with Angel for top NIL earners in women's basketball next year.
It will be interesting to see if Angel and HVL can fit both their egos on a team bus. Could be fireworks about who is getting the most attention.

Yeah, I was definitely one of those that was uncertain Perk would stick around. He wasn't highly recruited and I don't know how the loyalty thing plays out anymore. He wasn't obligated to stick around even though Iowa was by far his best offer coming out.

Btw, if Sandfort's little bros. wasn't coming in I would have been uncertain about him sticking around, either.

But aren't her corporate deals outside of what the Swarm gives her? Maybe I'm not quite familiar with the ins and outs of this NIL business.

I have a tough time jiving those things. Because either you're for NIL and the players playing the open market or you're not. You can't have the one and it not be this way. It's America and capitalism is what rules the day. Coaches don't usually take the 2nd 3rd or 4th highest offer they get either. Coaches and folks need to just get over the whole 'it's not supposed to be pay for play' jazz because it just is. Bitching won't change how players decide where they go. I'd rather our coach not be a hypocritical whiner about it and just land some difference making recruits/transfers.
Do you speak jive?

This why women's basketball is making inroads and growing in popularity. The stars have to stay until they are a certain age. NBA won't make the same commitment. The players are staying long enough for fans to get attached. Of course the portal is changing this, but they can't bolt for the WNBA. I'm worried ever season about every starter and commitment. Look at Proctor. Hard to get attached to players always on the move. I can complain here on the site but I don't have any answers. I know Fran is trying his best and it's hard, I just don't want him or Barta, complaining publicly about Iowa's problems.
You are right, it's a bad look and it IS Iowa's problem. Part of why I was most curious if Fran would be loyal to Iowa. Feels like we're at a crossroads kind of time in his tenure.

I think there is a pretty big distinction between collecting money to give to the players and allowing the players to make money on their own. There is nothing wrong with being against the former and for the latter.

Gotcha. Yeah I see where you're going. A guy like Tyler Cook I coulda seen jumping ship after his soph yr due to that really easy. He'd have been in high demand. Garzas dad (I'm not sure how many know his backstory) seems like the kind of guy who woulda been open to going to greener pastures. Although they seem pretty loyal to Fran. Woulda been interesting to see play out anyway.

But yeah what if say Sandfort has a monster yr this yr. With 2 yrs to play after that he could be in really high demand and have blue bloods after him. Everyone wants a shooter

Fran has stated that he isn't going to give more money to kids coming out of the portal, than what the established guys, 2-3 years into program are already getting. Even though that is admirable, not sure that is realistic. The frustration for SOME is that Fran seems to be pretty rigid on this.
That way of doing things will hurt in the portal but it will help help players from entering the portal. Probably an overall wash as far as fielding a roster goes. I would think it would help in the team chemistry department tho.

I don’t even know where to start in explaining how wrong I think you are in this post. I will say that drawing comparisons between a college player and a division 1 head coach is on deck for dumbest comparison of the year.
So you don't comprehend that when Fran was at Sienna still under contract he had his agent shop him around for other jobs just a yr after having signed an extension and then take the Iowa job? All of which has been common practice within the industry forever.

It's the exact same thing he's complaining about players doing now. Kids shopping themselves to other schools with an agent/parent intermediary while not in the portal yet.... Sorry not sorry but it's damn near the same thing and is what it is.

I think there is a pretty big distinction between collecting money to give to the players and allowing the players to make money on their own. There is nothing wrong with being against the former and for the latter.
Sure but the nuance to what Fran is complaining about isn't just that. He's complaining about kids shopping themselves with agents prior to getting in the portal. I get it but it's damn near unenforceable. Look at all the crap Bill Self had done at Kansas and just recently got his slap on the wrist. The NCAA is toothless and this is an industry wide thing. On top of this just making Fran look hypocritical with how coaches play the game too.

Latest posts