Does Anyone Feel Like The Ship Will Be Righted Come Next Year?

I have to hand it gto GD. I think HE is the one that moved more toward smash-mouth football, which the team had personnel for, and away from his preferred style of offense. I did NOT think that would happen and it had a positive effect.

the Enormous difference is how much better the DLine became. On top of that improvement, look at how often they blitzed! did anyone see Phil Parker doing that "Raider alignment?" Phil Parker should win Assistant coach of the Year for the performance of that defense. If not him, Jim Reid should get it. What a terrific defensive front 7.

where i disagree is that Reese Morgan should win assistant of the year. i think he deserves all the credit for that d-line improving.

"Success in college football begins with line play on offense and defense. The offensive line should be a team strength next year. We have stockpiled a # of 4star lineman who will be ready to play and add depth. A strong offensive line means we'll be able to run the ball and protect the QB. Bullock, Weisman, Garmon and Rogers will all be back and Canzeri/Hill/Dawson will be eligible too. All the Tight ends of significance return. All the wide receivers return except Davis who was hurt/inconsistent for the most part. Our QB will be juco all american Sokol who most observers claimed out played Vandenburg thruout fall camp. An improved offense means better defense by default as the defense won't be on the field with no rest all game long. Our defensive line will be improved. Cooper & Trinca-Pasat flashed ability as did Davis and lots of young guys got playing time. We withheld a couple 4star lineman - Faith Ekakitie & Jaleel Johnson - who with a year under Doyle lifting and learning our schemes should be ready to step in. All the linebackers and their back-ups return. We have a talented young core group led by Lowery & Law returning in the secondary. Our punter returns and the best kicker in the BigTen returns in Meyer. We found a talented return guy in Cotton. It's reasonable to assume all the players will return bigger/stronger with off season growth. I'd also assume they'll be hungry to improve after this season. We always have a couple unknowns who blossum in their junior/senior seasons too. Even with a tougher schedule, 7-8 wins would seem possible. We need to win early. Winning breeds confidence which spreads thruout the team."

Ding, ding - we have a winner. Nice call Redhawk.

This post is so far from reality i dont know where to begin...

1. Shonn Greene was the doak walker winner that year. Anyone see anything close to resembling that next year? I dont.

2. Pat Angerer led what is now considered the best defense KF has ever put on the field. There is NO ONE on the roster resembling a Pat Angerer, much less a Mitch King, an Adrian Clayborn, an AJ Edds, etc.

3. We threw vertical A LOT in 2008....we no longer believe in the vertical passing game.

4. The OL from that year is now considered the 2nd best OL that KF has ever put on the field. We cant put anything out there even coming close to the talent on that OL.

5. That 2008 Iowa team had more players drafted than any other team in Iowa history.

So its more than obvious that 2008 aint happening again in 2013. And for the guy that thinks we'll win more than 2 games next year, please tell me which one i have as a loss will ultimately be a W.

Finally, based on all the talent we had on that 2008 team, its a travesty we were only 9-4 that year (and 5-4 at one point with a loss to the zooker).
Haha...sorry Spider, can't say I disagreed with much of this "back then"...but I had to give it a bump of sorts! :p

"Success in college football begins with line play on offense and defense. The offensive line should be a team strength next year. We have stockpiled a # of 4star lineman who will be ready to play and add depth. A strong offensive line means we'll be able to run the ball and protect the QB. Bullock, Weisman, Garmon and Rogers will all be back and Canzeri/Hill/Dawson will be eligible too. All the Tight ends of significance return. All the wide receivers return except Davis who was hurt/inconsistent for the most part. Our QB will be juco all american Sokol who most observers claimed out played Vandenburg thruout fall camp. An improved offense means better defense by default as the defense won't be on the field with no rest all game long. Our defensive line will be improved. Cooper & Trinca-Pasat flashed ability as did Davis and lots of young guys got playing time. We withheld a couple 4star lineman - Faith Ekakitie & Jaleel Johnson - who with a year under Doyle lifting and learning our schemes should be ready to step in. All the linebackers and their back-ups return. We have a talented young core group led by Lowery & Law returning in the secondary. Our punter returns and the best kicker in the BigTen returns in Meyer. We found a talented return guy in Cotton. It's reasonable to assume all the players will return bigger/stronger with off season growth. I'd also assume they'll be hungry to improve after this season. We always have a couple unknowns who blossum in their junior/senior seasons too. Even with a tougher schedule, 7-8 wins would seem possible. We need to win early. Winning breeds confidence which spreads thruout the team."

Ding, ding - we have a winner. Nice call Redhawk.

too many capital letters to be a true Herby post. also no 40 times. but definitely strong on star rankings and run-on sentences without paragraph breaks.

Not sure who it is, but someone has something I said in a signature related to Kirk Ferentz never having 4-8 again...who dat?

Not sure who it is, but someone has something I said in a signature related to Kirk Ferentz never having 4-8 again...who dat?

Who is "Kirk Ferentz"?

Sincerely,

Kurt Furrentz and Curt Ferrets

P.S. -chomp- -snort- "why no leg humping and air guitar?" and "that's football"...

I think we have a winning record next year, and we beat the Clones.

Nope, I think we will be better. The coaching can't get any worse, and I think the talent will be better, and I think we had a enormous number of injuries. The BIG stinks if we are worse next year I'd say without a doubt, can him.

Actually I don't think the BIG was as bad this year as I predicted.

Honestly, I have no idea. I would like to think we will have improvement to 6-7 wins but have nothing to base that on other than some of the young talent is promising and another long off season to tweak some things.

I expect noticeable improvement and at least 6 wins.... if not, I will have switched my thoughts on the staff.

It will come down to the QB. If we could only find our "Johnny football".........or at least something remotely close.

I pride myself on being as level headed as I can be on a message board....I feel good about my post here (of course, we didn't need a "Johnny Football".

Okay so a lot of us are eating crow, but I am pleased to do so. I was very negative going into the season predicting only 2 wins. However, lets face it the Big Ten did not have a lot of talent, I still think we are really lucky to have finished as well as we did.

Look I am going to be positive..... Thinking about next year already the schedule is a freaking cake walk. All the tough teams are at home. We should have enough returning talent to finish better than we did this year. LB's will be hard to replace and the play calling still needs get better but I can see light at the end of the tunnel that might just get us back to slightly above average again.