Does Anyone Feel Like The Ship Will Be Righted Come Next Year?

I want to go on record right here, right now, and declare that I admire deanvogs for his staunch refusal to stop drinking from the pitcher of ferrents koolaid.
Keep guzzling, dean!

:cool:

Yes, I do!
No, not really.
Sad_Cat_main-425x283.jpg

Drunk already, Doctor Strangederp?

Nope, I think we will be better. The coaching can't get any worse, and I think the talent will be better, and I think we had a enormous number of injuries. The BIG stinks if we are worse next year I'd say without a doubt, can him.

Honestly, I have no idea. I would like to think we will have improvement to 6-7 wins but have nothing to base that on other than some of the young talent is promising and another long off season to tweak some things.

I expect noticeable improvement and at least 6 wins.... if not, I will have switched my thoughts on the staff.

It will come down to the QB. If we could only find our "Johnny football".........or at least something remotely close.

BTW, my perameters for "righted ship" outlined below.

Anyone else changed their expectation of what a successful season is? Who would have been ok with a 7-8 win season this year?

BTW, my perameters for "righted ship" outlined below.

Anyone else changed their expectation of what a successful season is? Who would have been ok with a 7-8 win season this year?

I would have been, the writing was on the wall that this year was going to be a struggle. I predicted many times before the season started that Iowa needed to start 5-0 to have a shot at going to a bowl.

After checking the heights and weights of all returning players and incoming freshmen, I have decided that I don't know. Only redhawk can answer this correctly.

The whole "stale scheme's" thing is played out. A pro style offense still works in today's football. Just look at most of the SEC teams, and Stanford. The bigger question is how KF and Co. plan on running a power running game, with a quick hitting short passing game. As we have seen this year, that is a recipe for failure. If you are going to go with a power running game, you need a KOK type passing game the stretches the field and makes defenses pay for stacking the box.

The more I watch this failed experiment the more I wish the KOK haters never got their wish and forced him out. This is a bowl team with KOK as OC (I'm not saying they would be a good team, but rather they win 6). Vandenberg was at least half way competent in last years schemes.

I agree with most of this. I don't need to be Oregon. Pro-style and 4-3 are fine with me.

And although I was a KOK-hater, it was only because I didn't think anyone could do a worse job under Kirk's parameters. I was wrong and apologize.

The whole "stale scheme's" thing is played out. A pro style offense still works in today's football. Just look at most of the SEC teams, and Stanford. The bigger question is how KF and Co. plan on running a power running game, with a quick hitting short passing game. As we have seen this year, that is a recipe for failure. If you are going to go with a power running game, you need a KOK type passing game the stretches the field and makes defenses pay for stacking the box.

The more I watch this failed experiment the more I wish the KOK haters never got their wish and forced him out. This is a bowl team with KOK as OC (I'm not saying they would be a good team, but rather they win 6). Vandenberg was at least half way competent in last years schemes.

Yes please! I will have some of what he is drinking/smoking!

KOK would not have made a difference (and no i did not call for his head) this team is extremely to young in to many areas. I do not see a different OC making much of a difference. Now what eveyone keeps missing is WHY is this team so young, and who should step up and take responsibility?

Yes please! I will have some of what he is drinking/smoking!

KOK would not have made a difference (and no i did not call for his head) this team is extremely to young in to many areas. I do not see a different OC making much of a difference. Now what eveyone keeps missing is WHY is this team so young, and who should step up and take responsibility?

I agree with you that falls on the staff. However, it sounds like you are giving the coaches a passing grade in scheme and game day coaching. I disagree and I think a lot of other coaches would have seen better results then what we saw from our staff this year. Very disappointed in the staff performance this year. As I stated earlier I think we will be better next year, but they all need to get their $hit in order.

I agree with you, and feel that most this season the coaching staff spent more time scratching their heads with the pencil instead of putting it to paper.

My point is that I am hearing “this is a young team” excuse more and more. Well why has so much talent left Iowa? It is more than the national average. It concerns me, and I think foolish to think we won’t lose more this off season. I am guessing there is a running back that looks elsewhere.

I don’t see the ship being righted at all. Why? Well because if they were not willing to start to prepare for the future after the Indiana game then I worry about the future. At some point you got to get a young guy some game touches with this new system. What is Iowa playing for? Why not start the audition process now? Well not now you don’t want to throw them to the wolves or maybe you do. Either way if the staff lacks that much confidence in the back-ups then I can’t imagine being better. Then again they did have a bruiser of a runner setting deep on the bench, so my confidence in spotting talent in this staff is starting to waiver.

I also got crucified on this site for saying they will most likely only have 5 wins this year.

As bad as Iowa's offense is, the defense has reached levels that are just as bad if not worse than the offense. Michigan was laughing at Iowa's players on defense.

wouldn't you agree that next year will come down to how well the new QBs will do? We are going to have a QB with no big time game experence.

How is Iowa going to be better? As we saw in the ISU game no matter how well the D plays you got to score!