Does Anyone Feel Like The Ship Will Be Righted Come Next Year?

The whole "stale scheme's" thing is played out. A pro style offense still works in today's football. Just look at most of the SEC teams, and Stanford. The bigger question is how KF and Co. plan on running a power running game, with a quick hitting short passing game. As we have seen this year, that is a recipe for failure. If you are going to go with a power running game, you need a KOK type passing game the stretches the field and makes defenses pay for stacking the box.

I agree. I can not see GD's lateral game and backfield passing working well with Iowa's running game.

For those that think we've hit rock bottom, think again. When I look at the schedule next year, I see only 2 wins. Here's my way too early W/L of the 2013 schedule:

Northern Illinois - Loss. We barely escaped this year and we've completely tanked while NIU has taken off and hasn't lost a game since. Lynch has put up 2,500 yds passing and 1,500 yds rushing. They return most of their production next year.

Missouri State - Win. They're bad....even for an FCS team.

@ ISU - Loss. Jack Trice is a house of horrors for KF. They're already grooming Richardson for next year and so far, so good. This one might get ugly.

W. Michigan - Win. KF has to get the Bronco bugaboo off his back sometime, doesn't he?

@ Minn - Loss. Haven't won at TCF Bank since it opened. They are on the upswing and will have the benefit of the extra bowl practices this year. They retake the pig.

MSU - Loss. This one's probably a toss up, given the complete meltdown of both programs. However, given that they have the more experienced returning QB, I'll give them the edge.

@ OSU - Loss. The only place KF has never won and it won't happen this year. Braxton Miller is just the type of QB that makes Iowa look like a high school team. It'll get ugly.

Northwestern - Loss. Venric Mark and Kain Colter will run wild.

Wisconsin - Loss. There was a time not too long ago (2010, to be exact), when Iowa and Wisky were on the same level and fighting to see who could gain the spot of 3rd best B1G team. Then the fake punt happened and it's been all down hill for Iowa ever since while Wisky has gone to 2 straight Rose Bowls since then.

@ Purdue - Loss. Maybe if this were at home, I might give Iowa a slight edge. But with it on the road, I give the edge to the Boilers.

Michigan - Loss. Gardner looks to be the real deal and all those great recruits Hoke has been bringing in will be a year older and more experienced. Home blowout.

@ Nebraska - Loss. Make us their rented mule for a 3rd year in a row.

Final synopsis - 2-9 overall and 0-8 in the conference. We come full circle from 1999.

For those that think we've hit rock bottom, think again. When I look at the schedule next year, I see only 2 wins. Here's my way too early W/L of the 2013 schedule:

Northern Illinois - Loss. We barely escaped this year and we've completely tanked while NIU has taken off and hasn't lost a game since. Lynch has put up 2,500 yds passing and 1,500 yds rushing. They return most of their production next year.

@ ISU - Loss. Jack Trice is a house of horrors for KF. They're already grooming Richardson for next year and so far, so good. This one might get ugly.

W. Michigan - Win. KF has to get the Bronco bugaboo off his back sometime, doesn't he?

@ Minn - Loss. Haven't won at TCF Bank since it opened. They are on the upswing and will have the benefit of the extra bowl practices this year. They retake the pig.

MSU - Loss. This one's probably a toss up, given the complete meltdown of both programs. However, given that they have the more experienced returning QB, I'll give them the edge.

@ OSU - Loss. The only place KF has never won and it won't happen this year. Braxton Miller is just the type of QB that makes Iowa look like a high school team. It'll get ugly.

Wisconsin - Loss. There was a time not too long ago (2010, to be exact), when Iowa and Wisky were on the same level and fighting to see who could gain the spot of 3rd best B1G team. Then the fake punt happened and it's been all down hill for Iowa ever since while Wisky has gone to 2 straight Rose Bowls since then.

@ Purdue - Loss. Maybe if this were at home, I might give Iowa a slight edge. But with it on the road, I give the edge to the Boilers.

Michigan - Loss. Gardner looks to be the real deal and all those great recruits Hoke has been bringing in will be a year older and more experienced. Home blowout.

Final synopsis - 2-9 overall and 0-8 in the conference. We come full circle from 1999.

Sadly, this is the outcome I would predict for next season. Our QB will have zero game experience, and our defensive line hasn't given me reason for hope. Our run game will be solid IF the QB is able to command respect. WR's won't be any worse because we lose Davis who has dropped more balls than he's caught. We return all of our TE's, and the o-line should be very good if they can stay healthy. As long as Ferentz is smart and doesn't keep Davis the offense should definitely improve. Davis' "system" will not work at Iowa, mark my words. Hopefully Ferentz realizes this and makes a switch.

The defense worries me. I thought they would be the strength of our team especially with the talent I thought we had among our LB's and DB's, but Lowery and Law have disappointed and Miller has been flat out bad. We lose our best defensive back in Hyde, and other than Kirksey we don't have a reliable LB. Morris and Hitchens miss an alarming amount of tackles. The defensive line couldn't be any worse...right? At least Mike Meyer returns. Oh, and our punter is one of the worst in the Big 10 so that's a problem too. Yikes.

I think we will see improvements next year. Our lines will be better and our running game will be better. I am honestly not as nervous at QB as some, I think one of those guys will do just fine and they have other people competing for the job unlike this year. That 2008 class hurt.

The offensive line will be very good next year so the running game will be improved and the QB will have time to throw the ball. The defensive line play should be improved next season which will make the entire defense better. I think predicting 2 wins next year is a little extreme, Iowa should be competitive in most of these games.

I already started a thread about why and how the offense will be improved, in 2007 Iowa went 6-6 and ended the season losing to Western Michigan and the year before they went 6-7
then is 2008, Stanzi took over with no experience as a RSSO and went 9-4, helping was a unexpected performance from Greene in the Running Game. also that was the season SO Ballard and RSSO Claybourne stepped up their game,

Ship righted?

hdr-ship-wrech.jpg

I already started a thread about why and how the offense will be improved, in 2007 Iowa went 6-6 and ended the season losing to Western Michigan and the year before they went 6-7
then is 2008, Stanzi took over with no experience as a RSSO and went 9-4, helping was a unexpected performance from Greene in the Running Game. also that was the season SO Ballard and RSSO Claybourne stepped up their game,

This post is so far from reality i dont know where to begin...

1. Shonn Greene was the doak walker winner that year. Anyone see anything close to resembling that next year? I dont.

2. Pat Angerer led what is now considered the best defense KF has ever put on the field. There is NO ONE on the roster resembling a Pat Angerer, much less a Mitch King, an Adrian Clayborn, an AJ Edds, etc.

3. We threw vertical A LOT in 2008....we no longer believe in the vertical passing game.

4. The OL from that year is now considered the 2nd best OL that KF has ever put on the field. We cant put anything out there even coming close to the talent on that OL.

5. That 2008 Iowa team had more players drafted than any other team in Iowa history.

So its more than obvious that 2008 aint happening again in 2013. And for the guy that thinks we'll win more than 2 games next year, please tell me which one i have as a loss will ultimately be a W.

Finally, based on all the talent we had on that 2008 team, its a travesty we were only 9-4 that year (and 5-4 at one point with a loss to the zooker).

Welp, pack it in...no reason to even suit up next year. ISU's one game wonder will beat us by himself at "The Jack", NIU loses most of their D but beats us at home, the Goofs are on the "upswing," MSU returns a starting QB, and we have to travel to that Death Valley...I mean Ross Ade stadium. Get real...I don't know what next year will bring for sure, but I do know we lost some close ones this year, and we return a lot of young guys. Since the QB play can't get any worse, I see better days ahead.

Next year is only year three of the down cycle. Expecting a turnaround would be foolish.

I believe things will turn around next year but not as much as everyone would like. I believe we will get a crap bowl with 6 wins getting us there. I'm not sure why I believe this. Just do. I have been a big supporter of the coach up until the last few yearsand still think things can go back up. Not with another year like this one though. 5 wins or less next year and coach needs fired on the spot.

Success in college football begins with line play on offense and defense. The offensive line should be a team strength next year. We have stockpiled a # of 4star lineman who will be ready to play and add depth. A strong offensive line means we'll be able to run the ball and protect the QB. Bullock, Weisman, Garmon and Rogers will all be back and Canzeri/Hill/Dawson will be eligible too. All the Tight ends of significance return. All the wide receivers return except Davis who was hurt/inconsistent for the most part. Our QB will be juco all american Sokol who most observers claimed out played Vandenburg thruout fall camp. An improved offense means better defense by default as the defense won't be on the field with no rest all game long. Our defensive line will be improved. Cooper & Trinca-Pasat flashed ability as did Davis and lots of young guys got playing time. We withheld a couple 4star lineman - Faith Ekakitie & Jaleel Johnson - who with a year under Doyle lifting and learning our schemes should be ready to step in. All the linebackers and their back-ups return. We have a talented young core group led by Lowery & Law returning in the secondary. Our punter returns and the best kicker in the BigTen returns in Meyer. We found a talented return guy in Cotton. It's reasonable to assume all the players will return bigger/stronger with off season growth. I'd also assume they'll be hungry to improve after this season. We always have a couple unknowns who blossum in their junior/senior seasons too. Even with a tougher schedule, 7-8 wins would seem possible. We need to win early. Winning breeds confidence which spreads thruout the team.

I feel eliminating this senior class will automatically result in improvement. Look at this leadership group of seniors who have played their last game as Hawkeyes - McMillan, Nielsen, Sawhill, Staggs, Swanson, Ferentz, Hyde, Gimm, Gaglione, Castillo, Bigach, Sleeper, Tobin, Mossbrucker, Vandenburg, Davis, Donatell, and Weinke. Who would you want back from that group? Hyde and maybe Ferentz, but only if he could add about 15 lbs. of muscle offseason. Eighteen seniors whose voices will no longer be heard = better team chemistry.

Last edited:
I want to go on record right here, right now, and declare that I admire deanvogs for his staunch refusal to stop drinking from the pitcher of ferrents koolaid.
Keep guzzling, dean!

:cool:

We know how you feel but could you construct a more feeble argument?

The statement about a KOK offense stretching the field is a little overblown but relative to the current system, it's a true statement.

We are the new Indiana of the Big Ten.

The ship's rudder is stuck, the engine is broken, and the crew is...incompetent? inexperienced? undermanned?

Time for a refit. And a crew change.

Success in college football begins with line play on offense and defense. The offensive line should be a team strength next year. We have stockpiled a # of 4star lineman who will be ready to play and add depth. A strong offensive line means we'll be able to run the ball and protect the QB. Bullock, Weisman, Garmon and Rogers will all be back and Canzeri/Hill/Dawson will be eligible too. All the Tight ends of significance return. All the wide receivers return except Davis who was hurt/inconsistent for the most part. Our QB will be juco all american Sokol who most observers claimed out played Vandenburg thruout fall camp. An improved offense means better defense by default as the defense won't be on the field with no rest all game long. Our defensive line will be improved. Cooper & Trinca-Pasat flashed ability as did Davis and lots of young guys got playing time. We withheld a couple 4star lineman - Faith Ekakitie & Jaleel Johnson - who with a year under Doyle lifting and learning our schemes should be ready to step in. All the linebackers and their back-ups return. We have a talented young core group led by Lowery & Law returning in the secondary. Our punter returns and the best kicker in the BigTen returns in Meyer. We found a talented return guy in Cotton. It's reasonable to assume all the players will return bigger/stronger with off season growth. I'd also assume they'll be hungry to improve after this season. We always have a couple unknowns who blossum in their junior/senior seasons too. Even with a tougher schedule, 7-8 wins would seem possible. We need to win early. Winning breeds confidence which spreads thruout the team.

I feel eliminating this senior class will automatically result in improvement. Look at this leadership group of seniors who have played their last game as Hawkeyes - McMillan, Nielsen, Sawhill, Staggs, Swanson, Ferentz, Hyde, Gimm, Gaglione, Castillo, Bigach, Sleeper, Tobin, Mossbrucker, Vandenburg, Davis, Donatell, and Weinke. Who would you want back from that group? Hyde and maybe Ferentz, but only if he could add about 15 lbs. of muscle offseason. Eighteen seniors whose voices will no longer be heard = better team chemistry.

LOL Wut?

My gut tells me Ferentz has not kept up with the upgrades in coaching prowess, recruitment, talent evaluation, development, strategy and game preparation that have taken place at virtually every other Big Ten school (Illinois excepted), by staffing change and in Nebraska's case addition to the conference. Phil Parker and Greg Davis were not the game-changers Ferentz needed.