Does Anyone Feel Like The Ship Will Be Righted Come Next Year?

SheagleHawk

I just don't see it happening. I see another loss to the Clowns, marking 3 in a row. OSU and Wisky back on the schedule. Just feels like we've hit bottom, but won't be experiencing any kind of rebound soon. Nothing positive to build on. New QB who has never taken a collegiate snap. Same archaic schemes.

No. Just don't see the talent coming in that's going to lift what now seems like an old, creaky, leaky vessel of coaching experience and skills.

Nope. No talent + stale schemes = bad season. The past 4 - 5 years of poor recruiting/talent evaluation is too much to overcome the schemes with just "execution".

before i can sufficiently comment, i'd need to know what your parameters are to consider a ship righted.

thanks

I just don't see it happening. I see another loss to the Clowns, marking 3 in a row. OSU and Wisky back on the schedule. Just feels like we've hit bottom, but won't be experiencing any kind of rebound soon. Nothing positive to build on. New QB who has never taken a collegiate snap. Same archaic schemes.
I don't think we have hit bottom yet, we did win four games.

I don't think we have hit bottom yet, we did win four games.

Now THAT is a scary thought. Besides dropping another game or two, I'm not sure how it could be any worse. Nearly bottom of every offensive category and seem, amazingly, to only be getting worse. This D will get absolutely annihilated next year if it even remotely resembles this years.

I see the situation deteriorating further if that's even possible. Reason... recruits will small the blood on the water and run. Nobody will want to join a program that does not have a game plan in place to fix the issues. If Capt. would be more proactive, a few stupid recruits may sense his confidence and jump on board. At this point, even the clueless ones are smart enough to bail out.

The whole "stale scheme's" thing is played out. A pro style offense still works in today's football. Just look at most of the SEC teams, and Stanford. The bigger question is how KF and Co. plan on running a power running game, with a quick hitting short passing game. As we have seen this year, that is a recipe for failure. If you are going to go with a power running game, you need a KOK type passing game the stretches the field and makes defenses pay for stacking the box.

The more I watch this failed experiment the more I wish the KOK haters never got their wish and forced him out. This is a bowl team with KOK as OC (I'm not saying they would be a good team, but rather they win 6). Vandenberg was at least half way competent in last years schemes.

before i can sufficiently comment, i'd need to know what your parameters are to consider a ship righted.

thanks

I guess it doesn't even need to be completely 'righted'. Just anything (on field) to show we're moving in the right direction. I kept waiting for this year's team to show improvement from week to week like old KF teams used to do. Never happened, and pretty safe to say it won't at this point.

You sure about next seasons schedule? Adding Rutgers and Maryland may change who Iowa plays next year in the leaders division.

It doesn't really matter if Iowa never recovers now. With the Big Ten expansion bringing in more money now from TV revenue (why Maryland/Rutgers are joining) the monetary incentive isn't there to field quality on the field. Money will be there no matter what. Iowa (an other regressing programs) can afford crappy teams with larger conference income incentives. Kirk could continue to have losing seasons, ticket sales can decline until contract is up and it won't matter because more money is coming in now regardless of product on field. Look at Maryland, athletic program is in the red and their president said this morning, "It's not about ticket sales, it's about eyeballs on TVs."

The whole "stale scheme's" thing is played out. A pro style offense still works in today's football. Just look at most of the SEC teams, and Stanford. The bigger question is how KF and Co. plan on running a power running game, with a quick hitting short passing game. As we have seen this year, that is a recipe for failure. If you are going to go with a power running game, you need a KOK type passing game the stretches the field and makes defenses pay for stacking the box.

The more I watch this failed experiment the more I wish the KOK haters never got their wish and forced him out. This is a bowl team with KOK as OC (I'm not saying they would be a good team, but rather they win 6). Vandenberg was at least half way competent in last years schemes.

When I say "stale schemes" I'm not referring specifically to the pro style offense. I actually prefer it over the spread. I would love to see more creativity within the pro style system Iowa is running. Stanford occasionally puts in a 6th O-lineman in certain situations, Alabama occasionally will line up in the pistol or wildcat. I'm not looking for wholesale changes, just a few tweaks that will make it hard for armchair QB's like myself to correctly call out the play before it's run.

Yes, I miss KOK, sort of.

In the end it comes down to talent, and Iowa simply doesn't have it right now.

IF there are no defections by players who were highly regarded/recruited, then I expect the ship to at least stop taking on water next year.

I truly believe that there is young talent on the roster that will be on the field next year. Much like 2000/2001, we will start seeing their impact going forward.

The current recruiting class is now vitally important to Iowa's future, and the ability to attract and keep top talent in the class is extremely difficult due to how terrible Iowa is this year.

I recognize the effort and dedication of JVB the last few years, but I can honestly say that my friends and I will have a celebratory toast on Saturday morning because it will be his last game.