Does Aiken need to remain with the Cardinals through the end of the year?

hawkeye12345

He has been a coach in the NFL now since 2/14/07. He had no prior NFL experience. What is the rule for coaches to be eligible for the NFL pension?

EDIT: After doing some more research, it appears that the Cardinals opted out of non-playing personnel (coaches and support staff) pension plan in 2009. Unless this has changed recently this means that the coaches at Arizona are not eligible for a pension.

Last edited:
he can leave whenever. remember bobby petrino left in the middle of the season with just a note. but i dont want a coach like that. he finishes the season then hopefully rejoins the staff.

guarantee that phil parker is our next DC. its too out of character for KF to make a splash. We should give phil parker a chance though, if he sticks to Norms defense, may not notice much difference. i am excited for levar woods though, he is a true hawkeye

Some people say that the Stoops deal is done, others say they have sources that Aiken is coming. KF says he hasn't given it much thought. My first reaction was that the job would go to Parker, but I don't know what to believe at this point. I think it's difficult for anyone to "guarantee" anything at this point.

guarantee that phil parker is our next DC. its too out of character for KF to make a splash. We should give phil parker a chance though, if he sticks to Norms defense, may not notice much difference. i am excited for levar woods though, he is a true hawkeye

I don't think bringing a former assistant back into the fold is all that big of a splash. I'd love for Aiken to be the guy, and he's who I want (Out of realistic candidates, anyway; I would REALLY like Mark Stoops, as he's tops on my list of possible successors to the Captain. But taking the same position at Iowa that he currently holds at Florida State is a step down for him.).

But it's not like Ferentz would be stepping out of his comfort zone to do it.

if it is spiderman as dc yawn another taking a knee within 2 ninutes of the 1st half. yes I know spider is peter and not phil.

And this would continue Iowa's fall to total suckage.

And you know this how? I'd love for Aiken to come back and think he will, but if Parker is the next DC, why does everyone automatically assume he's going to suck? He played for and coached with Norm, so don't you think he learned a few things? Look at the number of players in our defensive secondary that have played in the NFL. Look at what he did at Toledo prior to coming to Iowa. To assume he's going to suck as a DC is idiotic.

Who's being antagonistic? Kirk is ultra-loyal....the odds are he will promote from within, and that will be Parker.

We have no idea how KF would handle the replacement of a coordinator as he has never done it at Iowa. He is loyal to his assistants but I don't think that automatically means he will promote from within. He may think that all the guys on the defensive staff are good position coaches but aren't DC material. And their performance last season when Norm was out did not exactly inspire confidence that they were ready to be DC.

We have no idea how KF would handle the replacement of a coordinator as he has never done it at Iowa. He is loyal to his assistants but I don't think that automatically means he will promote from within. He may think that all the guys on the defensive staff are good position coaches but aren't DC material. And their performance last season when Norm was out did not exactly inspire confidence that they were ready to be DC.

All true. But I'm playing the odds here.

In any case, this hire will be very telling. Is Kirk going with the "same old-same old" or will he want a fresh approach?

All true. But I'm playing the odds here.

In any case, this hire will be very telling. Is Kirk going with the "same old-same old" or will he want a fresh approach?

Tell me how Aiken isn't basically a "from within" hire? He spent eight years in the program here. That's not much of a leap if you ask me.

I do think Kirk will hire from within. It will be someone very familiar with the program. Phil will step in for Norm. I just hope he can do what Norm did.

Tell me how Aiken isn't basically a "from within" hire? He spent eight years in the program here. That's not much of a leap if you ask me.

Because he is not in the program right now. However, I would concede Aiken would be "semi-within".

I'd love to see Aiken...or Stoops. Whoever it is, I want it to be someone with head coaching aspirations, as that person would likely be more highly motivated than someone whos "destination" job is as a coordinator.

Latest posts