Does Aiken need to remain with the Cardinals through the end of the year?

Whoever it is, I want it to be someone with head coaching aspirations, as that person would likely be more highly motivated than someone whos "destination" job is as a coordinator.

Some of the dimmer bulbs here might assume you meant that as a shot at a certain Iowa OC, but we know better. It's common knowledge around Columbus that Urban was tOSU's second choice after KOK turned them down. But he's a classy man and kept the discussions on the down-low.

Fufred could confirm all of this, but will pretend otherwise out of respect for the institutions involved.

based off the logic of not wanting a dc that isnt aspiring to be a hc we shouldnt hire a hc that doesnt aspire to go to a better school or the pros. some people are better as oc or dc and should stay there. weiss is one, norm was a guy who wanted to be a dc it didnt stop him from trying to do his best (yes he slip later in his career but that was health). i want a coach that wants to help iowa win. if they are best for the job and just want to be a dc not a hc then what is wrong with that.

i am a teacher and want to do well at it. but i dont ever want to be a principal so does that mean i wont keep doing my best as a teacher. that thinking is just wrong.

It doesn't really matter what their aspirations are long term. The question is can Iowa get a DC in place that can be successful, period. For every DC that aspired to be HC and succeeded there is one that failed. For every DC that wanted to be a DC and not move on there is a success story as well as a failure.

Everyone involved in the hiring process of coaches knows the risk of a coach potentially moving onward. It's a money-driven industry with high turnover. People move. I doubt it's a major consideration.

What's most pertinent is getting someone in house that can do the job on the field, in the film room, on the recruiting trail and most importantly that they feel is a good fit that can be successful.

It doesn't really matter what their aspirations are long term. The question is can Iowa get a DC in place that can be successful, period. For every DC that aspired to be HC and succeeded there is one that failed. For every DC that wanted to be a DC and not move on there is a success story as well as a failure.Everyone involved in the hiring process of coaches knows the risk of a coach potentially moving onward. It's a money-driven industry with high turnover. People move. I doubt it's a major consideration. What's most pertinent is getting someone in house that can do the job on the field, in the film room, on the recruiting trail and most importantly that they feel is a good fit that can be successful.

and here we most assuredly agree. here is to hoping we get the best guy for the job. i know we will get who kf thinks is the best guy but only time will tell if he is correct.

Some of the dimmer bulbs here might assume you meant that as a shot at a certain Iowa OC, but we know better. It's common knowledge around Columbus that Urban was tOSU's second choice after KOK turned them down. But he's a classy man and kept the discussions on the down-low.

Fufred could confirm all of this, but will pretend otherwise out of respect for the institutions involved.

Well played, Billso.

Latest posts