Dochterman just put out a really interesting tweet

Andre Woolridge made a game-winning baseline jumper at the buzzer against MSU in the 1995-1997 range. Not a 3 but still a game-winner.
That was one or two games after the immortal Ty Calderwood hit a driving shot at the buzzer in Madison and beat us by one.

Before this season I did not want the ball in JB's hands with the game on the line. Remember how he used to drive into the lane and either throw up an errant shot or get trapped? Now he's stopped doing that, he just cranks up a 3 ball and hits it. Fran has gotten a LOT better in play calling at the end of a close game.

Before this season I did not want the ball in JB's hands with the game on the line. Remember how he used to drive into the lane and either throw up an errant shot or get trapped? Now he's stopped doing that, he just cranks up a 3 ball and hits it. Fran has gotten a LOT better in play calling at the end of a close game.

Fran called an awesome play to have Bohannon jack up a deep fade away 3. Seems to me that's the kind of shot we normally get.

Fran called an awesome play to have Bohannon jack up a deep fade away 3. Seems to me that's the kind of shot we normally get.
Wasn't the first plan, before the kicked ball, to get Wieskamp open off a pick, then drive to the basket? That was a good option also, one we haven't had much in the past.

I like the three, end it, no overtime.

Wasn't the first plan, before the kicked ball, to get Wieskamp open off a pick, then drive to the basket? That was a good option also, one we haven't had much in the past.

If it was, he would have needed to get a move on. He was just coming around the screen when the ball was kicked.

I like how it ended too, by the way:p

The lane was open too so if Wieskamp receives the pass (big if because it looked like it was behind him) it very well could have ended with a layup.

I too love the way it ended. If there was ever a player that deserves a moment like that, its Bohannon.

The lane was open too so if Wieskamp receives the pass (big if because it looked like it was behind him) it very well could have ended with a layup.

I too love the way it ended. If there was ever a player that deserves a moment like that, its Bohannon.
JB is a guy unafraid to "take the shot" many others want no part of it.

Wieskamp also had the potential to make a layup, who knows.

Steve Reid of Purdue. Anthony Drejaj of St Louis. Jermaine Wallace of NW State (buzzer beaters in NIT and NCAA respectively). Andy Kaufman of Illinois. Brian Good of Wisconsin (after Kevin Smith had just put us up with his own three with 2.5 seconds remaining). How about Roy Marble getting robbed at Minnesota after the clock started before he caught the inbounds pass. I thought the Sports Column was going to riot that day.

Here's a recent one not on the list. Who was the player from Temple who was fouled by Anthony Clemmons on a three point attempt and made all three free throws to send it into OT. How much time was left when Clemmons fouled him?

Then you had Randy Smithson of Wichita State in the 1981 NCAA's hitting technical free throws after Lute or someone on the bench called a timeout when we were out of them.

Rodney Monroe in 1989 hit late shots in regulation and at the end of the first overtime for NC State.

Roy Marble in 1986, also against NC State, had a chance to send that NCAA game into overtime but, like Hansen in 1983, missed the front end of a one and one in the final seconds.

I thought we lost the Villanova game by one. I thought Hansen had a chance to win it. I could be wrong. It was a long time ago. It may not have mattered much anyway. Out next opponent would have been Houston. The Phi Slama Jama Houston.

The Villanova loss in 1983 was by 1 (55-54).

https://www.thegazette.com/2013/11/30/pre-game-notes-villanova-dealt-iowa-painful-loss-in-83

On March 25, 1983 in Kansas City, Villanova center John Pinone sank two free throws with 12 seconds left to lead Villanova past Iowa 55-54 in the Sweet Sixteen. It marked the final game for Iowa Coach Lute Olson, who accepted the coaching position at Arizona three days later.

Greg Stokes, father of current Iowa player Darius Stokes, scored 22 points, and current Iowa radio analyst Bobby Hansen scored 21 in the heartbreaking loss. It was Hansen’s last game as a Hawkeye.

“Fifty-five, 54, I still remember the score,” Hansen said before Saturday’s game. “I’m still mad about it.

“I was standing there talking to Jerry West, and I’m still in my uniform and Lute walked by. The next time we saw him, he took the job.”

Villanova then lost the Elite Eight match-up 89-71 against Houston, which was loaded with Clyde Drexler and Akeem (later Hakeem) Olajuwon. Houston ultimately lost the national title to North Carolina State. Villanova claimed the NCAA title two years ago in an epic upset against Georgetown.

Iowa, meanwhile, was stuck in the snow.

“There was a blizzard back in Iowa,” Hansen recalled. “Fans came down and parents had to drive back through it to get back.”

JBo started doing this last year ... in the Big 10 Tourney.

JBo started doing this last year ... in the Big 10 Tourney.

I wonder why he doesn't take those shots more often. It's not like he was open or anything. Just one quick more to create just enough space to get the shot off. It's a high percentage shot for him but he rarely attempts it unless he has to. I say he needs to try it throughout the game 3 or 4 times.

I wonder why he doesn't take those shots more often. It's not like he was open or anything. Just one quick more to create just enough space to get the shot off. It's a high percentage shot for him but he rarely attempts it unless he has to. I say he needs to try it throughout the game 3 or 4 times.

Especially because he shoots 36% from 2 and 41% from 3....that's a 25% effective shooting % difference (shooting 41% from 3 is like shooting 62% from 2). He should never take another 2 point shot unless the lane has parted like the Red Sea and he has a clear lane to the basket.

Especially because he shoots 36% from 2 and 41% from 3....that's a 25% effective shooting % difference (shooting 41% from 3 is like shooting 62% from 2). He should never take another 2 point shot unless the lane has parted like the Red Sea and he has a clear lane to the basket.

Even then you have to question it. Did you see that missed layup the other night? Wowzers. Sometimes he's not even close on his layup attempts. It looks like he just throws it up there.

Latest posts