Dochterman just put out a really interesting tweet

Here's some highlights from the Iowa-Wichita State game. Iowa is ranked #12, but playing in Wichita. They don't show the 'timeout', but they show the free throws that win the game.

That was the one thing I completely forgot about, i.e., having to play them in Wichita. WTF? How was that even possible?

That was the one thing I completely forgot about, i.e., having to play them in Wichita. WTF? How was that even possible?
It was more common back then when regional games were held in smaller, on campus arenas. Iowa's loss to Toledo in 1979 was at Indiana's Assembly Hall (Indiana ironically won the NIT that year, over Purdue of all teams) When regional games moved to larger arenas, they moved more and more off campus. The practice of teams drawing their home court probably ended sometime in the late 1980's. Arizona in 1987, as a ten seed, was one of the last teams I remember getting to play on their home campus court. They would have been directly in our path, but UTEP beat them in overtime in the opening round.

It was more common back then when regional games were held in smaller, on campus arenas. Iowa's loss to Toledo in 1979 was at Indiana's Assembly Hall (Indiana ironically won the NIT that year, over Purdue of all teams) When regional games moved to larger arenas, they moved more and more off campus. The practice of teams drawing their home court probably ended sometime in the late 1980's. Arizona in 1987, as a ten seed, was one of the last teams I remember getting to play on their home campus court. They would have been directly in our path, but UTEP beat them in overtime in the opening round.

Alas, we forget that Duke, UNC and other ACC teams rarely have to venture elsewhere. I don't think you see Kentucky playing too many tourney games in Seattle, come to think of it.

Wow. How did Kentucky get "condemned" to a 5-seed?! That, alone, is odd! Usually, Kentucky seems like a 1-2-3 seed, or an NIT team. No middle ground.

Oh, Calipari wasn't happy. :)

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article204614669.html

John Calipari, who will lead No. 5-seed UK against No. 12-seed Davidson on Thursday in Boise, Idaho, took a seat on the couch near his kitchen and let ’er rip.

“I didn’t see all of it,” he said of the NCAA Selection Show, “but you guys … is ours like the toughest again? Like, by far? Is anyone in here surprised? We’re not playing on Thursday, right? Because we just got done playing today. We’re playing on Thursday? Oh, but we’re close?”

A reporter informed him the Cats would start in Boise, something Calipari already knew.

“Anchorage or Boise?” he quipped. “It is what it is. They’re not going to make it easy for us, and they can all say, ‘This is all by the numbers and all that.’ OK.”

Latest posts