Dochterman just put out a really interesting tweet

Even then you have to question it. Did you see that missed layup the other night? Wowzers. Sometimes he's not even close on his layup attempts. It looks like he just throws it up there.
He was going too fast, got to the basket a little quicker than he thought, got under the basket too far.

Those NCAA daggers, even back to the 1970's, were always shots to the heart. Pembroke Burroughs, Stan Joplin, Brian Kellerman, Randolph Childress. And then there were losses other ways that, to this day, I can't fathom. The year (I believe it was 1983) where we lost in the Sweet 16 to Villanova in a tight, tough game when one of our better EVER free throw shooters, a man named Bob Hansen, missed the front end of the one-and-one. We lost by 2.
Actually lost to Villanova by one.

Steve Reid of Purdue. Anthony Drejaj of St Louis. Jermaine Wallace of NW State (buzzer beaters in NIT and NCAA respectively). Andy Kaufman of Illinois. Brian Good of Wisconsin (after Kevin Smith had just put us up with his own three with 2.5 seconds remaining). How about Roy Marble getting robbed at Minnesota after the clock started before he caught the inbounds pass. I thought the Sports Column was going to riot that day.

Here's a recent one not on the list. Who was the player from Temple who was fouled by Anthony Clemmons on a three point attempt and made all three free throws to send it into OT. How much time was left when Clemmons fouled him?

Then you had Randy Smithson of Wichita State in the 1981 NCAA's hitting technical free throws after Lute or someone on the bench called a timeout when we were out of them.

Rodney Monroe in 1989 hit late shots in regulation and at the end of the first overtime for NC State.

Roy Marble in 1986, also against NC State, had a chance to send that NCAA game into overtime but, like Hansen in 1983, missed the front end of a one and one in the final seconds.

I thought we lost the Villanova game by one. I thought Hansen had a chance to win it. I could be wrong. It was a long time ago. It may not have mattered much anyway. Out next opponent would have been Houston. The Phi Slama Jama Houston.
Marble missed 7 free throws against NC St. I was there. Team missed a bunch.

Said that in the last 6 years, Iowa has faced 31 situations in which it was tied and/or trailing by 3 points or less with under 11 seconds. In those 31 times, it put up 29 shots and made a total of 5 of them.

So yeah, we were freaking due! :)

Due yes... but it sure is a stat that tells you how bad Fran is at drawing up plays.

Did you see ISU's Jeff Hornicek knock out Ron Harper and Miami OH with his own buzzer beater earlier in the day in the same building?
Yes I did . I know it is hard to believe but many Hawk fans were pulling for the Clones. 70-80 percent were. This was before the internet and all the trash talking. Absolute blast being up there with all Iowans. Michigan played Akron and I could see Bob Huggins was going to be a big time coach.

Due yes... but it sure is a stat that tells you how bad Fran is at drawing up plays.
I think Fran has good success with out of bounds plays after time outs. Fran just hasn't really used time outs at the end of games. I think he believes in his offense and he doesn't want to give the defense a chance to get set up. Personally I'd like to see him use a time out the next 4 or 5 close games and see how it works, maybe the team will have better success. Then again, they might not

Yes I did . I know it is hard to believe but many Hawk fans were pulling for the Clones. 70-80 percent were. This was before the internet and all the trash talking. Absolute blast being up there with all Iowans. Michigan played Akron and I could see Bob Huggins was going to be a big time coach.
Huggy Bear is struggling this season. And with his health one wonders when he will just step away. Or if he will just drop on the court one of these nights. But not knowing the exact score I'm going to guess that Akron gave Michigan all they could handle that day and helped set Michigan and Frieder up for the big fall vs Iowa State two days later.

He would soon move on to Cincinnati and would soon be in the Final Four.

Bob Huggins is one of my favorite people in the sport. Great interview. Best sense of humor since Jud Heathcote. And you won't find a straighter shooter anywhere.

I think Fran has good success with out of bounds plays after time outs. Fran just hasn't really used time outs at the end of games. I think he believes in his offense and he doesn't want to give the defense a chance to get set up. Personally I'd like to see him use a time out the next 4 or 5 close games and see how it works, maybe the team will have better success. Then again, they might not

I’ve always found Fran to be a coach. He’s not terrible, he’s not great. The win against Northwestern is one of the few times I thought Fran manufactured a win by coaching. But, I don’t have a lot of faith that Fran is going to pull too many tight wins out of thin air just because of how he manages a game.

Did you see ISU's Jeff Hornicek knock out Ron Harper and Miami OH with his own buzzer beater earlier in the day in the same building?

Amazing ... the score is shown quickly, but doesn't stay on the screen. No tenths of a second on the clock. And, a relatively easy play for the game winner.

Steve Reid of Purdue. Anthony Drejaj of St Louis. Jermaine Wallace of NW State (buzzer beaters in NIT and NCAA respectively). Andy Kaufman of Illinois. Brian Good of Wisconsin (after Kevin Smith had just put us up with his own three with 2.5 seconds remaining). How about Roy Marble getting robbed at Minnesota after the clock started before he caught the inbounds pass. I thought the Sports Column was going to riot that day.

Here's a recent one not on the list. Who was the player from Temple who was fouled by Anthony Clemmons on a three point attempt and made all three free throws to send it into OT. How much time was left when Clemmons fouled him?

Then you had Randy Smithson of Wichita State in the 1981 NCAA's hitting technical free throws after Lute or someone on the bench called a timeout when we were out of them.

Rodney Monroe in 1989 hit late shots in regulation and at the end of the first overtime for NC State.

Roy Marble in 1986, also against NC State, had a chance to send that NCAA game into overtime but, like Hansen in 1983, missed the front end of a one and one in the final seconds.

I thought we lost the Villanova game by one. I thought Hansen had a chance to win it. I could be wrong. It was a long time ago. It may not have mattered much anyway. Out next opponent would have been Houston. The Phi Slama Jama Houston.

Of all those, the 1981 Wichita State loss HAD to be the most-disappointing. Coming off a 1980 Final Four, then losing the Big 10 title in the last two games, THEN playing uninspired against Wichita State, including missing a go-ahead shot at the end, only to foul, THEN call a TO when we had none left. In fact, that was brutal weekend. #1 Depaul lost, defending champ Louisville lost to Arkansas on a beyond half-court buzzer-beater, and Oregon State (ranked #2, I think) lost at the buzzer to K-State on a Rolando Blackman shot. Kentucky lost in first game, etc. Absolute bloodbath of a weekend.

While not a 3, James Moses last second tip-in at Indiana was one I can still see to this day.

How could you see it? The camera angles from Assembly back in the day were so bad! :)

But yeah, I can remember that game as well....came flying in from the wing for the tip in....

Of all those, the 1981 Wichita State loss HAD to be the most-disappointing. Coming off a 1980 Final Four, then losing the Big 10 title in the last two games, THEN playing uninspired against Wichita State, including missing a go-ahead shot at the end, only to foul, THEN call a TO when we had none left. In fact, that was brutal weekend. #1 Depaul lost, defending champ Louisville lost to Arkansas on a beyond half-court buzzer-beater, and Oregon State (ranked #2, I think) lost at the buzzer to K-State on a Rolando Blackman shot. Kentucky lost in first game, etc. Absolute bloodbath of a weekend.
Remember it well.

And BYU knocked out Notre Dame and a host of Digger Phelps celebrities when Danny Ainge drove the length of the floor and scored. Skip Bayless once called that weekend the true birth of March Madness. The YouTube clips of all those shots are on an old thread from last spring.

Once the dust settled, Indiana had to beat only St. Joseph and UAB to reach the Final Four (and eventually win the championship) But perhaps Knight had it coming to him. In 1976 his path to the championship included St. John's, Alcorn State, Marquette, and UCLA. All probably top fifteen teams.

How could you see it? The camera angles from Assembly back in the day were so bad! :)

But yeah, I can remember that game as well....came flying in from the wing for the tip in....

Go to 1:50 of this video ... easy to see. :) Street is the trigger man, struggles to get ball in, Skinner slips and falls (right side) Street lobs to AC, who takes the jumper, Street rebounds, misses the bunny, but Moses comes in for the tip in and the win!

Here's some highlights from the Iowa-Wichita State game. Iowa is ranked #12, but playing in Wichita. They don't show the 'timeout', but they show the free throws that win the game.

Here's some highlights from the Iowa-Wichita State game. Iowa is ranked #12, but playing in Wichita. They don't show the 'timeout', but they show the free throws that win the game.

Well, it was obvious what Wichita State's game plan was. Inside to Cliff Levingston and Antoine Carr as much as possible.

Wichita State actually a third big man, Ozell Jones, who missed the tournament because a question concerning his academic eligibility coming into college had recently cropped up, was too big for the NCAA to handle and was about to go to trial.

Levingston eventually had a long NBA career as an active sixth man who made the hustle plays and attacked the glass. He won some jewelry with the Bulls during the Jordan dynasty.

Carr had twice the talent but half the desire as Levingston. A supreme passer for a power forward in a NBA that desperately needed that type player at the time, he still couldn't make it happen. He was injury prone, became overweight, and just missed the genesis of the Spurs dynasty. He did have some big moments, in a losing effort, for the Jazz teams that lost Bulls at the end of the Jordan years.

The MTXE, as many of you probably know, stood for Mental Toughness, Xtra Effort. That was Wichita State's version of "Row The Boat" or "Pound The Rock".

Within three years half the high school basketball teams in Iowa had "MTXE" on their shorts or warmups.

Latest posts