Do you really believe the Hawks are good enough to be a playoff team?

If Iowa were to make it and then flop in the playoff, nobody in the media will be talking about the B1G title game. They'll constantly harp on how they were right all along and Iowa didn't really belong. That's what recruits will hear, not that Iowa beat Ohio State.

So because Iowa got creamed in the playoffs these recruits will want to go to Nebraska, Iowa State, Illinois, or Minnesota instead?

A Big Ten Championship and a Playoff game really does not hurt recruiting, no matter the outcome.

There is no such thing. People are talking about Iowa being a potential playoff team everywhere and in many more places than just HN. Are you running around to every message board and bar across the state to tell people to shutup?

I was just talking to a buddy yesterday about how cool it would be to be undefeated. No random guy came up and told me to stop.

So because Iowa got creamed in the playoffs these recruits will want to go to Nebraska, Iowa State, Illinois, or Minnesota instead?

A Big Ten Championship and a Playoff game really does not hurt recruiting, no matter the outcome.

The "I told you so's" would only happen if we got creamed by OSU. If we beat them, we will have proved we belong no matter what happens. Not even ESPN would rip on us too bad after that. And there isn't a recruit in the world that would seriously consider us, then decide not to come because we didn't truly belong in the playoffs.

I was just talking to a buddy yesterday about how cool it would be to be undefeated. No random guy came up and told me to stop.
I just did,
Stop-Sign.jpg
. Hahahahah!

Nothing is impossible if we keep winning but I believe the Rose is probably our ceiling this year realistically.

I find it very rude to come on a message board and to, basically, tell people to shut up. Like anything that happens on a message board has any impact on the field!

The "I told you so's" would only happen if we got creamed by OSU. If we beat them, we will have proved we belong no matter what happens. Not even ESPN would rip on us too bad after that. And there isn't a recruit in the world that would seriously consider us, then decide not to come because we didn't truly belong in the playoffs.

I guess if you believe that suddenly Iowa will start recruiting, and landing, the 5* recruits consistently then I can see where this may have some impact. But it would be down the road, 1 magical season will not suddenly make Iowa a preferred football destination over schools like Michigan or Ohio State. Right now Iowa needs to beat Iowa State for the instate recruits, a multiple of schools for the top recruits out of Illinois, Minnesota for the northern recruits. You can't tell me if Iowa is going head to head against Illinois (for example) that Iowa getting blown out of the Big Ten Championship game or the playoffs will make the recruit lean towards Illinois.

Iowa is not competing against the big boys of college football for recruits, at least not yet.

I think the question can be answered in this way: Is Iowa good enough to win the rest of the games on their schedule, including an upset over an East Division team in the BTCG? I think they are. If that happens, they are in.

If course, beating a top 5 team in 2 or 3 consecutive games is not likely to happen (although neither was 7-0) but that wasn't the question.

I think the question can be answered in this way: Is Iowa good enough to win the rest of the games on their schedule, including an upset over an East Division team in the BTCG? I think they are. If that happens, they are in.

If course, beating a top 5 team in 2 or 3 consecutive games is not likely to happen (although neither was 7-0) but that wasn't the question.

They are good enough but I still think they will crap the bed somewhere along the way. But that's only because I have yet to see an Iowa team not stumble at some point.

They are good enough but I still think they will crap the bed somewhere along the way. But that's only because I have yet to see an Iowa team not stumble at some point.

Yeah that's kinda how I feel as well but again that wasn't the OPs question. I don't really expect Iowa to finish the season undefeated but they are certainly good enough to do so.

I don't think this team is THAT good, and honestly, I think I would rather go to the Rose Bowl and play a team like Stanford. Getting owned in a playoff game doesn't help recruiting as much as a competitive game/victory in the Rose Bowl would. Win the Rose Bowl, and the national media basically has to eat crow and admit they were wrong about Iowa. Get blown out in a playoff game, and all you'll hear is "We told you so." Not the kind of message I'd want recruits to hear.

Terrible perspective.

If Iowa was 13-0 they will have beat the defending national champion, and you're scared to play the next game?

You have a chance to play for a title and you're worried about "I told you so"? WTF?

This team will play where they deserve to and it's up to them to determine where that is.

I don't but there's enough Hawkeye hate slung around nationally, and It just isn't needed here. Let's enjoy where we are for once.
I'm not hating! It was a joke. Satire. The day Jon announces that YOU have absolute authority to control posting content, let us know. Until that time.....be a good shepherd and get the flock out of here!!

talent wise, no. Unless you've had your blood replaced by kool aid you can't really think that Iowa one of the 4 best teams in the nation when asked HONESTLY. However, the best 4 teams don't make the playoffs......undefeated power 5 conference teams do. Also, I wouldn't be scared to play any team in the nation. Top 4, maybe not, but this year there isn't a definitive number 1 outstanding team so why the hell not? I'm just enjoying the season, to hell with the haters and the easy schedule excuse.

As of now, no not a playoff team. Need CJ fully healthy, Canzeri back full speed, etc to be close. But looking at a 10+ win season, I am plenty happy with that right now.

talent wise, no. Unless you've had your blood replaced by kool aid you can't really think that Iowa one of the 4 best teams in the nation when asked HONESTLY. However, the best 4 teams don't make the playoffs......undefeated power 5 conference teams do. Also, I wouldn't be scared to play any team in the nation. Top 4, maybe not, but this year there isn't a definitive number 1 outstanding team so why the hell not? I'm just enjoying the season, to hell with the haters and the easy schedule excuse.

Agreed...To say "we're #1" may be fun, but unless you can back it and prove it, it rings pretty hollow....I hope we get the chance, but like the post above...it feels pretty good to be Top 10 and knowing we are ranked about right (for now).

If I had to bet on winning on neutral field, I'd have IA #15 to #20. They could not consistently beat the teams in the top 10. KF would be more competitive than the rest of the country thinks though.

But those who think this team is top 5 are dreaming.

Latest posts