Do you really believe the Hawks are good enough to be a playoff team?

Right now, no, not ready for a top 4 playoff.

Later in the year, quite possibly.

We need to continue to improve in all phases.

1. Running game is coming alive and with improved line play and improved RB play via our two new starters, I think this will be a reality.

2. Improved passing game. A healthy Beathard that has learned much from his first 7 games this year and a healthy and improving receiver corp coupled with a running game that must be honored is a recipe for some possible heavy yardage coming up.

3. Defense continuing to stay healthy with who is left and the new guys gaining experience. I don't see as much improvement possible here as with the offense but minor increments, esp in pass coverage would be beneficial.

4. Special teams is a very bright spot, just keep it coming and I expect some scoring from our kick and punt returns upcoming, it's inevitable.

5. This appears to be the year our coaches are coming out of their funk. Can they continue to improve and teach. I think so.

We have incredible upside as a team. Why limit the possibilities until they are out of reach?

Oh give me a break. If you think we're so out of our league in the midst of the third best start in school history, go root for ISU. Delusion works both ways.

Just trying to shake things up a little. After the first 3 pages, all of the legitimate responses were taken. Lighten up. If you take everything that seriously, maybe college sports isn't for you.

Just trying to shake things up a little. After the first 3 pages, all of the legitimate responses were taken. Lighten up. If you take everything that seriously, maybe college sports isn't for you.

I don't but there's enough Hawkeye hate slung around nationally, and It just isn't needed here. Let's enjoy where we are for once.

We're a Drew Ott and NFL caliber wide receiver away from being elite.

If Beat Hard had that kid from Pitt to throw to, Katie bar the door.

In addition to T Smith? If yes, agreed. If no, then he's just another Iowa WR that gets keyed on by opposing Ds.

One CJB "shortcoming", and it looks to be improving, is utilizing/exploiting the TEs. Once he starts making them a serious option, good Lord, this ia GREAT offense, not just a good/improved one.

I don't think this team is THAT good, and honestly, I think I would rather go to the Rose Bowl and play a team like Stanford. Getting owned in a playoff game doesn't help recruiting as much as a competitive game/victory in the Rose Bowl would. Win the Rose Bowl, and the national media basically has to eat crow and admit they were wrong about Iowa. Get blown out in a playoff game, and all you'll hear is "We told you so." Not the kind of message I'd want recruits to hear.

Getting to the playoff would mean beating OSU or Michigan St in Indy. How could that be bad for recruiting regardless of the playoff game. And if they were to beat either of those teams, what makes you think they would get blown out in the playoff?

It depends on our running game. I believe that Wadley has the potential to be an elite back. Our Oline can be elite when we get healthy again. We have a play making QB,but can he get back to !00% health? If we win the
BIG championship game,we absolutely belong in the top 4

Just to add to the discussion I think the weakness for the Hawks comes at 2 positions... DE and WR

With Ott out, we lose our best pass rusher. Meier has the heart of a lion but he's still undersized and with Hesse filling in for Ott we become undersized at both positions and I wouldn't call either a great speed rusher.

Having T Smith back certainly helps. I'd still like to see the freshman Smith get more snaps. I think having him on the field is no worse than having Hillyer and offers the huge upside of getting him the experience. Vandeberg had some big games early but he has quieted down as of late.

Overall these 2 units I would say are probably the weaknesses of the team.

How about our Kicking game? Koehn is all over the board right now. Dude nails one game winner but can't make a PAT? we need that shored up.

Why are you so sure of that?

This isn't one of the tough, smash-mouth Jim Tressel OSU defenses. They have a lot of talent and speed, but haven't played a single team that will match, or surpass their physicality. I think the true assessment of OSU will be when they play MSU and Michigan.

Are we the best team in the country on paper...nope...but do they play games on paper? Every few years iowa faces an sec team in a bowl and surprises them with a good game by playing sound defense and being more physical on the ground than they anticipated. This team feels like one of the better of those teams. It has that "one thing." I don't feel we will beat OSU and then 2 top 3 teams to be ntnl champs...but upsets occur. Match ups can be favorable at times. Yes, this team deserves to be mentioned in the playoff conversation. They have earned it.

The hawks are at 7-0 and they showed big improvement stepping all over the mildcats who then went on the road and beat nebby. If you ask the question that the OP did then you have to assume the hawks are 12-0 at the least. If the hawks lose one game and then win the big 10 champ game they probably still get left out of the playoff with a late season loss to an unfavored, poorer team.

So I think the hawks playing real good football do finish 12-0 and they will be one of the few unbeatens left. Then if they win the Big 10 champ game it will probably be an upset over an undefeated MSU or OSU so that boost to the SOS gets Iowa into the playoff. The big 12 might only have one undefeated team if any, Clemson maybe, LSU maybe, no one from the Pac 10, so Iowa should be in at 13-0.

But still a pipe dream as the odds get harder and harder.

Last edited:
Getting to the playoff would mean beating OSU or Michigan St in Indy. How could that be bad for recruiting regardless of the playoff game. And if they were to beat either of those teams, what makes you think they would get blown out in the playoff?

If Iowa were to make it and then flop in the playoff, nobody in the media will be talking about the B1G title game. They'll constantly harp on how they were right all along and Iowa didn't really belong. That's what recruits will hear, not that Iowa beat Ohio State.

As for your second point, Ohio State has underwhelmed pretty much all year. I'm not convinced that they have the best team in the country. Upsets also happen. Expecting two or three in a row against top 4 caliber teams isn't very realistic.

Let's stop this conversation right now. The Hawks need to beat the turtles first. We can resume this conversation when Iowa clinches the West Division. This is bad karma.

Sure it's fun to think about but deep down I just can't buy into this team being 1 of the top 4 teams in the country.

The schedule sets up for a nice finish and I would be disappointed not to play in the Big 10 championship game. If we do make it to Indy, this team won't beat the Buckeyes. We've had some breaks to get where we with the fumble at Wisconsin and a last second field goal to beat Pitt. I still anticipate losing one game in the regular season.

Enjoy the ride but don't get your hopes up, Indy is the cap for this team.

So What you act as though it's a letdown to ONLY get to the Big Ten Championship game. As critical of KF and staff as I've been I am elated with the results so far this year. It should be our FIRST goal win your side of the Big Ten then worry about a Conference Championship. IF we can make it to Indy anything is possible. Every team has games that luck comes in to play.

Let's stop this conversation right now. The Hawks need to beat the turtles first. We can resume this conversation when Iowa clinches the West Division. This is bad karma.

There is no such thing. People are talking about Iowa being a potential playoff team everywhere and in many more places than just HN. Are you running around to every message board and bar across the state to tell people to shutup?

Latest posts